Ice Trap

Old time trapper over here, and author of that silly What a Shocking Tri-Element Trapper build. Basically, I am a Trapper that utilizes Elemental Equilibrium together with three Elemental Traps, and from the three, Ice Trap may be the most underwhelming.

There are actually only two simple reasons why I consider it lackluster, both making Fire Trap better in every aspect past the fact that Ice Trap deals Cold Damage instead of Fire Damage... which isn't much of a point, really.

First, the Area it covers is incredibly small since the nerf to AoE due to the fact it does not gain any increased + Radius as it levels up. I don't know if this is merely an oversight or intentional, but this needs to increase. The 10% from quality hardly help. It doesn't need to be as big as Fire Trap, but definitely more than it is right now. It should at least gain a +4/+5 on level 20/21.

Second, it deals less damage than Fire Trap. Well, it does deal a bit more on level 20, and it has a damage multiplier of 110%, however, oddly enough, the base damage of Fire Trap skyrockets past level 20, so corrupted and on level 21, the initial blast of Fire Trap is stronger. Then there is the fact that Fire Trap still got the Burning Ground Effect, adding some additional damage to the mix. Even the 1 second less cooldown it has doesn't help much. In fact, that is pretty much offset by the 1% less baseCritical Strike Chance it got.

So, there are several solutions I would suggest. First, simply increase the AoE and the Base Damage. That way it can compete with Fire Trap in burst damage while Fire Trap potentially still got more AoE and the burning ground.

Second idea, don't give it any increased AoE and just greatly increase the Base Damage. That way, Elemental Trappers may have a better source for single target damage, since a lack of a good source for single target is a problem for all trappers (Bear Trap is too lackluster, as well, not to mention that it is a Physical Trap). I was also thinking about maybe introducing a new type of Trap that focuses more on single target, but I will talk about that over at the Fire Trap thread.

Third idea, still increase the AoE, though not necessarily the Base Damage and instead give it another secondary effect like Fire Trap. A simple suggestion would be that it leaves behind Chilled Ground, though something like giving it a base chance to Freeze enemies could also work.
Could we get some improvement for still skill along with the other trap skills?
Press 'F' to pay respects for this skill somehow managing to get nerfed while every other trap gets buffed.
F

Sad to see it, cause I love the sound and visuals of Ice Trap. It was pretty weak, but beautiful skill. And not it receives a nerf, oh well.
F

And double F for no "super" cold trap.
Please post new feedback for this skill gem here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2160114
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info