Projectile speed cap and diminishing returns?

-Does linear increases in projectile speed affix give linear increases in projectile speed?
-Is there a cap?
-Do skills have an innate projectile speed that is modified by modifiers? Is this value subject to round down cutt off?

I want to know if getting projectile speed past 100 will have meaningful differences for skills like spark and spectral throw or if its simply doing nothing at all or very little. How would I test this other than visually guesstimate?

Also, there was a bug that made spectral throw not return past 130 proj speed.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
- Yes, the increase is linear (though the situation with spectral throw is probably a bit complicated)
- Haven't heard of one, such stats are usually uncapped
- Yeah, that's the way it works, we know the base speed for ball lightning is 'roughly' 36 units per second (which probably means it is defined in some other way internally). The base value is fairly high for most skills so it wouldn't matter even if it does round down.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Thanks! Time to go quill rain spark ham.
as far as i know arrows have a max distance it can travel regardless of projectile speed.

Another thing. Mobs doesn't become activated when you are a certain distance from them. This is why they stop following you around.
That means, that even if your spark runs several screens away, it will only actually damage enemies who are activated. I don't know if the projectiles dissapear or what after that distance.
"
Nephalim wrote:

Also, there was a bug that made spectral throw not return past 130 proj speed.
I don't think the devs think this is a bug. At that speed the projectile travels a distance from which it cannot return. Doesn't have anything to do with the speed really. Just the distance.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
as far as i know arrows have a max distance it can travel regardless of projectile speed.

Another thing. Mobs doesn't become activated when you are a certain distance from them. This is why they stop following you around.
That means, that even if your spark runs several screens away, it will only actually damage enemies who are activated. I don't know if the projectiles dissapear or what after that distance.

What is the activation range in units? Is it the same for all creatures?

I know maegera has a tiny activation range to help her not 1 shot players but I have shot mobs 2 screens away when I had a widescreen monitor.

Does spark have a projectile distance limit? Is it based on travel time or distance from originating entity on time of cast? I basically want to be able to reliably cast spark in a way that it offscreens mob and even if it induce zero exp gain due to exp radius being limited.
Last edited by Nephalim on Feb 29, 2016, 7:00:36 PM
Activation range != aggro range. The game only activates a certain radius around the player, a couple screenlengths. Any monster inside that radius is active - but not every active monster is hunting you down.
Everything outside the active radius doesn't exist, in practice. That's why ST disappears when you have more Proj Speed than 130% or w/e - it travels outside the active game radius!

It is of course standardised, it's not done on a per-monster basis :P

The only max range on Spark is the active game radius. It's really hard to tell when you reach that point, 'specially because it's Spark. You'll always gain exp though.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 29, 2016, 7:06:37 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Activation range != aggro range. The game only activates a certain radius around the player, a couple screenlengths. Any monster inside that radius is active - but not every active monster is hunting you down. Everything outside the active radius doesn't exist, in practice. That's why ST disappears when you have more Proj Speed than 130% or w/e - it travels outside the active game radius!

I see, in which case I can still reliable offscreen mobs within activation range (at least 2 screen radius?) with spark with enough projectile speed without them actually aggro-ing me, including bosses like village ruin and maegera?

So ST transcends time and space and never returns, ill take that.
Last edited by Nephalim on Feb 29, 2016, 7:06:42 PM
Hitting monsters most likely will aggro them, but odds are the AI won't really know what to do with it except panic (and thus run around wildly, hopefully achieving line of sight).
Projectile disapear when they reach a certain distance but they are still active.

In pvp a pretty popular spark build can flood an entire 1vs1 arena and even half of sarn arena with enought projectile speed and skill duration. Those projectile become invisible at some point but they still hit you wich make me reconsider the idea of this "active radius" concept.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info