Utility Flasks for Ascendancy

*Reads Dev Manifesto post*
“Hey, cool! Look at all these new flask types! The flask bar was always kinda boring anyways, and let’s face it – nobody can afford all these multiple-exalt unique flasks all the streamers fill their bars with anyways. Cool to see some options for players with more brain than budget to try and figure out ways to plug holes in their builds that other folks just plug up with twenty exalts’ worth of Supaflasks. Can’t wait to see how these actually shake out, or to find out which new Ascendancy class has interactions with Chill/Freeze/chilled ground. Because c’mon – they introduce a Saboteur flask, a Raider flask, and an Inquisitor flask practically by name. Let’s see what sort of speculation people have going on in here.”

*Reads first two pages of thread*
“Yeap, it is awesome. Good to see the one-word posts are flying thick and hard in here. Wonder if anyone’s got anything interesting to say…”

*Reads sixteen remaining pages of nasty-mouthed bitterness and salt-mining over resistance flask nerfs, with not a single piece of speculation as to why a chilled-ground flask would be introduced, or to what purposes any of the new flasks can be put.*
“…are these the PoE forums? I didn’t think I was on MWO’s forums yet, but hell man, I haven’t seen this much kvetching and riotmongering over a balance preview since the Great PTS Rebalance…”

Seriously, folks. Seriously. Has anyone figured that perhaps being immune to elemental damage whenever you want is sort of bad for the game? That maybe if sources of being able to reach 98+% elemental resistance are reined in, GGG could even things out so that you don’t have to spend a hundred exalts to have a ghost of a chance at beating Uber Atziri?

Have we seen all the changes coming in Ascendancy? GGG mentioned skilltree adjustments and other general-balance-pass things in, y’know, THEIR NEXT EXPANSION. Maybe some of that will offset resistance flasks taking a hit? Maybe…just maybe…the sky is not actually falling down around your ears yet?

Keeeee-rist on a carnation Cadillac. Settle your jimmies, people. The game is not unplayable because you suddenly might actually take elemental damage again.
So does the "increased effect, reduced duration" mod affect +% max resists?
"
Krayken wrote:
Not so fond of the resistance flask nerf. I play a non-crit arc character in talisman and even with a 10% topaz flask (with anti shock) up its still dangerous to hit an ele reflect rare. Ok i get it that some ascendancy classes will have a way to raise their ele resists but im pretty sure that won't be available for all the classes. Does that mean that any elemental spellcaster without spell block will have to be one of those classes? If so, who will ever use a staff for spellcasting?

Oh and how do you crit arcers even deal with reflect?

Also a good step to nerf those op unique flask would be to nerf the hell out of whirling blades. The main reason players can maintain those flasks up 100% of the time is because they can move from packs to packs so ridiculously fast using that skill (which is 10 times better than any other movement skill).
so let me get this straight you want to nerf WB because is works. How bout just buff other movement skills. Wb is fast and efficient because when you are melee leap slam does not help dodge big frontal burst attacks consistently. that fact that casters use it is a skill is investment in play-style. weapon swapping without messing up is not as easy as it seems.
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Rakiii wrote:

I think, max resist on items or flasks isnt good solution at all. The best would be remove it completely (or set fair cap not higher than 80-85) Its hard to balance game otherwise (max res flask shouldnt be necessary in fight)

Have fun killing uber atziri without max resist on items or flasks!

If you balance it around 75 cap its np. In my opinion max res shouldnt be must have in what ever fight (a bit of advantage ok but not such OP) and I dont like playing flask management at all.

even 85 vs 75 res is a huge difference - its like having 67% more life! (not 10% 85-75..)
On the other hand theres lack of good solution to resist physical damage (why not making damage reduction /armor/ working in real % with 75% cap it would fit perfectly with some balance)
Last edited by Rakiii on Feb 3, 2016, 5:12:14 PM
That's what happens in a game where all classes can use all of the items. An endless circle of nerfs. Balancing game content around certain classes is going to be a disaster.
You had the chance to present class only items (or mods on items) so you could balance each class on its own.
You stick with universal items which inevitably will be op for some classes.
A new era of nerfs is coming.
"
1453R wrote:
Seriously, folks. Seriously. Has anyone figured that perhaps being immune to elemental damage whenever you want is sort of bad for the game? That maybe if sources of being able to reach 98+% elemental resistance are reined in, GGG could even things out so that you don’t have to spend a hundred exalts to have a ghost of a chance at beating Uber Atziri?

Of course they could but they never would! I play this game for almost 4 years now and ggg is not the company that you should expect something like this to ever happen. Since the first closed beta they are in love with nerfing things into oblivion.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Well, resistnace flask with 10% max res. will become legacy?
"
Rakiii wrote:
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Rakiii wrote:

I think, max resist on items or flasks isnt good solution at all. The best would be remove it completely (or set fair cap not higher than 80-85) Its hard to balance game otherwise (max res flask shouldnt be necessary in fight)

Have fun killing uber atziri without max resist on items or flasks!

If you balance it around 75 cap its np. In my opinion max res shouldnt be must have in what ever fight (a bit of advantage ok but not such OP) and I dont like playing flask management at all.

even 85 vs 75 res is a huge difference - its like having 67% more life! (not 10% 85-75..)
On the other hand theres lack of good solution to resist physical damage ...

What the hell are you talking about physical damage doesn't even exist in this game because there are so many ways to reduce it - lightning coil, taste of hate, chaos golem, fortify, endurance charges, granite flasks and more and more and more. Physical dmg mitigration is fucking everywhere. The only thing to die from in poe is elemental dmg. And don't forget that it is still impossible to avoid ele dmg completely - I have a caster with 100/99/99 resist and when I get hit by uber atziri double fb (what of course should never happen) I'm still oneshoted because the bitch has penetration.
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
"
StormerVirus wrote:
Well, resistnace flask with 10% max res. will become legacy?

NO, this time we are all buttfucked.
StormerVirus - According to this shouldnt ... "Other than changes to Unique Flasks, these changes affect existing Utility Flasks that your characters have (no legacy versions are created)."

Instead of nerfing max res up and down they should set cap - let say 85max.
Game should be balanced around 75 res (which is normal res cap).

666lol666 - I mean how armor rating is currently (not)working and light coil and such are special uniques so dont count them (those are extra)

Well, Uber is special case but its confusing if u stack resist and still get 1 shoted due to unseen penetration (no bestiary on page).

Cos I play HC I dont like those 1-2 shot mechanics or unpredictable damage mechanics.
Game might be harder in other ways - f.e. adding some cast delay to Tp scrolls (for alt+f4 chickens as well) or life regen to bosses (monster damage should be balanced in that case ofc).
Collecting some special items shouldnt be really necessary to play content.

Thats my opinion.
Last edited by Rakiii on Feb 3, 2016, 6:05:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info