2 days in D3 and I am fully geared | In PoE we're still chasing carrots.

I agree with that, too. I can make long lists of pros and cons about both games, and the ideal game, for me, would combine the pros of both PoE and D3.
"
Mivo wrote:
I agree with that, too. I can make long lists of pros and cons about both games, and the ideal game, for me, would combine the pros of both PoE and D3.

Maybe Grim Dawn. ;)

Surprisingly, I do still go back to Diablo 3 and play once in a while, but it usually does not last long like about a week or two before I drop it again, while Path of Exile easily holds me for at least a month. One that spoils you too much, and the other that really wants to make your life difficult, but will eventually show you the really good side. Balance....where are thou?
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Jan 26, 2016, 4:17:51 AM
"
ggnorekthx wrote:
If you aren't soloing Torment X or running GR 50+ you aren't fully geared.

By your definition, I was fully geared in under 24 hours (22:43). Solo'ing TX and clearing GR55s. Absolutely possible. Pretty easy actually. But then in Talisman, I was fully geared in 2 days and doing maps 10 levels above me. Both games are relatively straight forward if you know how to work them. Neither require a degree in particle string theories lol.
Deliver pain exquisite
The problem with gearing up in Poe for special builds is,
that there's no middle ground due to the mechanical interactions and requirements of skills.

Your build either works or it doesn't, and that part really sucks because you can't try things out as soon as you'd like to. It's too black and white.

"Im smartest. Your stoped. Dael wiht it."
D3 IS THE BEST
Both games have their merits.

the weirdest thing is that even though I have a very limited time to play a game, I am still drawn more to POE than to D3. The grind here is hell. HELL I say! especially if you are an Altoholic like myself.

Maybe the emotional attachment you create from building your character is slightly better applied in POE than in D3, and the satisfaction you get once I get to use a certain build is just better here.

switching skills/builds in d3 is just a bit too easy, and probably that is what is keeping me from trying it again.

Also, there are still loads of build in POE that are unique, undiscovered, so that there still is something that you could really call "your own"..

also, Carrots!
Don't Touch my Sweep please GGG!
Nothing new here. D3 gives too much good loot that you cant trade and PoE gives too much pointless uniques and leveling uniques and bricked rares.

Two extremes of the loot table.
ProbablyGettingNerfed - L100 Occultist
Vinktarded - L100 Pathfinder
GoogleDiversityHire - L100 Necromancer

3.13 was the pinnacle of PoE. IVYS+1 Gang 4 Life.
Blizz hands out a full class specific set just for hitting level 70 in seasons.Don't think Blizz or the *pro* seasonal players care too much for the game pre-GR fishing and bot key farming.

Edit: CARROTs

Last edited by Temper on Jan 26, 2016, 12:33:43 PM
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The real issue here is D3 is designed so that anyone... literally anyone... can reach and beat all the aspects of the game.

This is not actually true. Many, many people, even in the permanent league, are unable to get past certain Greater Rift levels, because they lack the gear or the "skill". Even more so if they don't "fish" for perfect Grifts. With time, yes, everyone will get there, but with time everyone will hit 100 and do Über in PoE as well.

PoE's perceived longevity is largely artificial:

- You can't fix mistake easily, so you do a lot of re-leveling (D3 allows you to fix your messed up builds).

- You may not get the items you need (must trade, which completely removes this barrier, making it worse than D3's tailored loot, since the latter is not as targeted as trading).

- The game throttles map drops, so you cannot constantly run level- and challenge-appropriate content, which slows down the progress your character would otherwise be capable of. The game deliberately holds your progress back. D3 doesn't do that, you can always run content as hard as you want it AND get rewarded for it.

- 10% XP loss, which at high levels is often the result of technical issues (disconnects, invisible mobs, FPS drops, etc.) or balancing problems (OHKs). In D3 you can't lose XP. (D3 HC is probably harder than PoE HC, especially since you can't portal/log out in combat and your stuff gets deleted, not moved.)

I could make similar pro/cons that are in favor of PoE, so this isn't about which game is better. PoE is certainly much more suitable for treasure hunting, and it's a more interesting slot machine which far nicer gambling (crafting included), but as a game, played for entertainment and not as a long term project or job replacement, D3 is a very viable choice.

I don't believe that either game is skill-based, except in some situations (Mathil's Über kills are clearly skill based), or really hard and challenging. They are both time-sinks where anyone can be successful if they only have enough time and patience. Compare this to games like Dark Souls or even platformers like Duskforce. Those are skill games.

Finally someone who isnt delusional.
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
The real issue here is D3 is designed so that anyone... literally anyone... can reach and beat all the aspects of the game.

This is not actually true. Many, many people, even in the permanent league, are unable to get past certain Greater Rift levels, because they lack the gear or the "skill". Even more so if they don't "fish" for perfect Grifts. With time, yes, everyone will get there, but with time everyone will hit 100 and do Über in PoE as well.

PoE's perceived longevity is largely artificial:

- You can't fix mistake easily, so you do a lot of re-leveling (D3 allows you to fix your messed up builds).

- You may not get the items you need (must trade, which completely removes this barrier, making it worse than D3's tailored loot, since the latter is not as targeted as trading).

1- The game throttles map drops, so you cannot constantly run level- and challenge-appropriate content, which slows down the progress your character would otherwise be capable of. The game deliberately holds your progress back. D3 doesn't do that, you can always run content as hard as you want it AND get rewarded for it.

- 10% XP loss, which at high levels is often the result of technical issues (disconnects, invisible mobs, FPS drops, etc.) or balancing problems (OHKs). In D3 you can't lose XP. (D3 HC is probably harder than PoE HC, especially since you can't portal/log out in combat and your stuff gets deleted, not moved.)

I could make similar pro/cons that are in favor of PoE, so this isn't about which game is better. PoE is certainly much more suitable for treasure hunting, and it's a more interesting slot machine which far nicer gambling (crafting included), but as a game, played for entertainment and not as a long term project or job replacement, D3 is a very viable choice.

2- I don't believe that either game is skill-based, except in some situations (Mathil's Über kills are clearly skill based), or really hard and challenging. They are both time-sinks where anyone can be successful if they only have enough time and patience. Compare this to games like Dark Souls or even platformers like Duskforce. Those are skill games.
Numbers mine.

1. Rewarded how? You have all the gear already, that's handed to you on a platter. So really it comes down to whether leveling is a more appealing form of progression to you (D3), or whether loot is (PoE).

Now if you're making PoE builds centered on unique items, this is a catch-22 situation. Either you have a chance to get rewarded with a unique which is central to a future build - not your current one - or you already have it, and don't much care. So on the unique items front, PoE feels unrewarding because it's based on the concept of continual gear progression, and utterly fails when that progression is forced into binary situations of have vs have-not.

Rare items, and build which use them, do not have this problem. And you can't have fun with rare items in D3 at all.

PoE would be a much better game if unique items didn't exist in it, and all the wacky shit you can get from uniques should be rare affixes. Maybe you balance "Chaos cannot bypass ES" by only allowibg it on a low-level base or something. That and currency and master crafting would interact with all items, instead of uniques being immune and thus currency only good to trade for more uniques (and Chancing is boring).

Unique items in PoE make you feel shitty until you have them, and prevent you from feeling epic loot drops once you do.

2. I don't understand why so many people make uber-defense lowskill builds when they could play glassier and actually have fun.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 26, 2016, 2:08:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info