[2.1] SlipperySiren's Ghostbusting and Leo Trolling Vacuumer

This is a build I used for ghostbusting in Warbands (2.0). I was part of a 2-4 person team from people in my main account's guild. This build survived the 2.1 patch and still works fine. I moved the gear to this account just to goof off (and because I wanted to use my main Scion for another build).

For those who are unaware, the idea with ghostbusting is that tormented spirits (ghosts) add extra iir and iiq to white and blue mobs they touch. They add even bigger magic find boosts to rare and unique mobs they haunt (which causes the ghost to disappear). We started after the first 2.0 nerf and in about a month of playing, we each walked away with 50+ exalts worth of gear and currency. Prior to the 2.1 nerf, white and blue mobs could stack magic find boosts from each ghost in the map. With the 2.1 nerf, those mobs are only affected by the first ghost they touch. Rares and uniques can still be haunted by multiple ghosts. The team I was playing with in Warbands stumbled upon ghostbusting from some streamers such as MollariGaming. He and another team (I forgot who) helped give us hints on how to make it work right.

We built a 3-person ghostbusting team:
  • Vacuumer (this build): collects up the entire map's worth of monsters into one place, then runs the whole map's worth of mobs into every ghost. This build cannot do any damage. More details below.
  • No-kill DPSer: uses some complex mechanics to do large amounts of damage while simultaneously having 0 possibility of killing anything
  • Culler: we used a ball lightning totem culler, after experimenting with many different ones. Ball lightning gives far more coverage than flame totem or incinerate totem. Totems are dropped after the DPSer has lowered all the mobs health down to 1. This makes it trivial to get guaranteed flask culls on every single mob in the map.

Pros
  • Makes ghostbusting possible
  • Nearly unkillable
  • Your tankiness increases as you get more mobs to surround you.
  • Fun build for trolling Leo missions, especially in Sarn (on a typical Sarn Leo mission, only 1 or 2 people had builds that could kill me)
  • This build variant can actually do a little bit of damage, which is useful sometimes when the rest of the party rips and you want to finish off a few last mobs that only have a little life left.

Cons
  • 0 dps (well technically a few hundred dps max with my build)
  • Totally useless for solo play (other than ghostbusting)
  • Chaos damage wrecks the build (our primary vacuumer was CI) (with better gear you could have good chaos resistance)

Passive tree
  • Scion is by far the best class for this because of access to jewels
  • Note that this build does not use Ancestral Bond, as is typically done with ghostbusting vacuumers. This frees up 5 skill points. We rely on Dyadian Dawn to prevent our damage. The only downsides are that we can't pick a tankier belt, and our tempest shield does a tiny bit of damage (which is both good and bad). Opinions vary, but I like this approach more.

Gear

Empire's Grasp gloves are the most important part of the build. They have incredible armour and they allow us to suck mobs into us as we cyclone.

Aegis Aurora provides a huge amount of defense. As long as you stack about 1.5k ES, this is half of your survivability core. I bought a legacy one for another toon. It's really helpful but a non-legacy works fine too.

Ambu's Charge is a funny chestpiece, for a funny build like this. By having hundreds of mobs always in melee range, we're always getting smacked by small crits. These generate tons of endurance charges and CwDT+IC gives us high uptime with total physical immunity. As a bonus, you give infinite endurance charges to your party members.

You'll want a Vagan foil with at least the following mods: hits can't be evaded, attack speed, +2 range (master-crafted). If you're using the Dyadian Dawn belt, it's very important to not have any flat elemental damage on the foil. You can also choose a Vagan claw. They have substantially lower range, hurting your ability to keep fast mobs in your clump, but the insane life gain on hit and/or mana gain on hit are great too.

Stone of Lazwhar is a required item for any block-centric build like this. You will get destroyed by spells if you don't have it. Get a corrupted one with extra block chance if you can afford it. If you do so, you may need to pick up some intelligence elsewhere.

Rainbowstride is best in slot because of the spell block. Note that movement speed is bad for this build, so don't worry about not having 30% boots. The reason is that if you move too fast, mobs will escape your vacuum of doom.

Dyadian Dawn lets us do 0 damage as long as we ensure that we have no flat elemental damage on any gear. This means that party members can't use elemental auras near us if we want to stay no-damage. It also means that Tempest Shield will do a small amount of damage. In practice, I gather the map solo and turn on Tempest Shield after calling the DPSer and culler over. Tempest shield improves safety by a little and we still get all the important culls this way. Others prefer to just spend 5 points on the tree and get Ancestral Bond.

Doedre's Damning isn't required but it's really nice to add a second curse. You can use a rare ring if you need the stats or resistance. If you have a good +1 curse corrupted item, that would be even better.

Just a random rare ring for resistances, ES, etc. Flat life and more energy shield would be great.

Just a rare ES helmet. Good things to have are energy shield (most important), life, resistances, life regeneration, etc.

Jewels

You'll want +1 chance to block on as many jewels as possible.

You'll want knockback on as many jewels as you need to get 100% knockback chance. I only have a 19/0 knockback gem, so I'm not quite capped yet.

Unless you use a Vagan Gemini Claw, you'll need a single +2 mana gain on hit jewel to sustain your mana cost.

Other good stats are life, %ES, energy shield on hit, spell block, resistances, intelligence (if you have a +block corrupted Lazhwar), %armour, %evasion, etc.

Flasks

All flasks should have the Avenger's prefix. We constantly get hit by crits and this gives us 100% uptime.

Since my chaos resistance is terrible, I find I need an Amethyst flask. There's at least one ghost that adds a lot of chaos damage.

Anti-bleed is important.

Anti-curse would be nice.

Armour and evasion flasks help.

Gems

• Chest: Cyclone (any level) - Knockback (20/20) - Fortify (20/0 or 20/20) - Life Gain on Hit (20/20) - Increased Area of Effect (20/20). I haven't thought through the 6th link yet. I put Discipline in the last socket (important to have somewhere).
  • 3 link: Riposte (any level) - Life Gain on Hit (20/20) - Blind (20/20). Depending on your chromatic success, you could put Reckoning or Vengeance here instead.
  • 2 link: Cast when Damage Taken (20/0 or 20/20) - Temporal Chains (20/20)
  • 1 link: Whirling Blades. Helps you zip around as needed, spread out mobs when they're causing too much lag, and run away when you hit a pack that's to dangerous.
  • 1 link: Determination. Adds a lot of survivability.
  • 1 link: Discipline. Adds a lot of survivability.
  • 3 link: Reckoning (any level) - Vengeance (20/20) - Life Gain on Hit. You can put Riposte here depending on your chromatic success.
  • 3 link: Tempest Shield (20/0) - Chain (1/20) - Blind (20/20). I also have Innervate since my Tempest Shield can actually kill. Tempest Shield is primarily useful because it can zap mobs that are darting away and suck them back in. It adds a little extra block chance (3%), so that's nice.
  • 4 link: Cast when Damage Taken (11/0) - Immortal Call (level 12) - Enfeeble (14/20) - Increased Duration (20/20). Depending on your life pool, you may want to level up this combo more.

Stats

• Life: 3550
  • Energy Shield: 1601
  • Mana: 271/1045
  • Attacks per Second with Cyclone: 4.26
  • Knockback Chance: 91% (100% with flask and/or if I had a 20/20 gem)
  • Cyclone LGoH: 40
  • Cyclone MGoH: 2
  • Armour (with determination): 9205
  • Estimated physical damage reduction in A4M Dried Lake: 68% with 5 endurance charges (60% with 0)
  • Energy shield (with discipline): 1601
  • Resistances: 75/80/75/-48
  • Block chance: 58% (could be much higher with better jewels)
  • Spell block chance: 42% (could be much higher with better jewels)
  • Crit damage reduction: 20%
  • Movement speed: +25%
  • AoE modifier: +53%
  • 5 endurance charges

Additional Thoughts

Last edited by ZippyBlip on Feb 6, 2016, 1:31:15 PM
I am running a similar build on my Aegis Mjolner character. I pop on Empire's Grasp, an Aurumvorax, and an Ambu's Charge for pulling. Then I swap to Mjolner and Southbound to DPS everything down to 1 life.

Do you really think it is worth it to cap 100% knockback when you can just roll 1-2 flasks with melee knockback that will have 100% uptime with Avenger's? I run all 3 resist flasks; 2 are rolled with Avenger's of Fending and the third is Avenger's of Warding. An Avenger's of Iron Skin Granite and an Avenger's of Staunching Jade Flask.
Also how do you deal with regen mobs and regen aura rares? By the time you ghost the map and come back in with your culler those mobs will be at full health again.

Is it better to zone in multiple charcters at the start to increase the group quantity bonus? Or does that not matter.
"
noremac13 wrote:
I am running a similar build on my Aegis Mjolner character. I pop on Empire's Grasp, an Aurumvorax, and an Ambu's Charge for pulling. Then I swap to Mjolner and Southbound to DPS everything down to 1 life.

Hmm, that's a really interesting idea. I've been considering ghostbusting in Talisman and that sounds like a good alternative. I really like how you're defeating the MF penalty of Aurumvorax with no-kill.

Mind sharing your tree and gear?

"
noremac13 wrote:
Do you really think it is worth it to cap 100% knockback when you can just roll 1-2 flasks with melee knockback that will have 100% uptime with Avenger's? I run all 3 resist flasks; 2 are rolled with Avenger's of Fending and the third is Avenger's of Warding. An Avenger's of Iron Skin Granite and an Avenger's of Staunching Jade Flask.

It's certainly doable to just rely on flasks to cap knockback. When you only have a few mobs around, the flasks can't be sustained, but it's also usually easy to keep small packs hugged anyway.

If you feel like trolling PvP, capping knockback is pretty important. Few competing builds crit enough to keep flasks up 100% of the time.

The other case where capping knockback helps is if you play with two clients. You do the vacuuming on your main client then just afk in the middle of the pack while you alt-tab to your MF killer. With high knockback, the vacuumer does a better job keeping the mobs aggroed and in a tight area. Without very high knockback, the packs will wander away, either escaping or moving out of melee range where the reactive gems stop helping with LGoH.
2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710
"
noremac13 wrote:
Also how do you deal with regen mobs and regen aura rares? By the time you ghost the map and come back in with your culler those mobs will be at full health again.

Is it better to zone in multiple charcters at the start to increase the group quantity bonus? Or does that not matter.

There are a few ways of doing the post-vacuuming work.

If you're playing solo, you could build a hybrid vacuumer and no-kill dpser like you suggested either. This toon would need to be tanky enough to AFK in packs. For non-regen situations, you just take them down to 1 life and then use a 2nd client to cull them (culling strike not needed). For the regen packs, bring your culler to a safe distance, swap back to the DPSer and bring them back down to 1 life, then quickly go back to the culler and kill. Repeat as necessary. If you use totems for culling, it might be possible to do rapid alt-tab switching for really fast regen packs. DPS down, alt-tab, drop totem, alt-tab, repeat. Flask culling would be challenging.

A second solo method is to have a pure vacuumer. AFK-ing isn't as important, but it's useful. Once everything is ghosted, bring in a high DPS MF character. The MFer does both DPS and MF, but since it plays solo you don't have to worry about using culling strike. This is the approach that MollariGaming uses.

At the other extreme is what you do with 3 or more people. You have one pure vacuumer: max tankiness and vacuuuming only. The second person is the MFer: stack MF and tankiness, DPS and culling strike not needed at all. The remaining people run no-kill DPS builds. They bring mobs down to 1 life and keep the mobs aggroed and away from the MFer. While in killing phase, the vacuumer can help by either concentrating the enemies or spreading them out if things get too sketchy. On Warbands, this is the way we built the team. I played the culler. Ball lightning totems would do mass kills on 1-life packs for instant Distillation Divinate recharges. They also gave far better coverage than flame totem. I think they proc more total hits on dense packs than incinerate totem, but I haven't tested the latter.

If you have two people with low ping to the same server, you basically play like a 3 person group, but either one person plays a hybrid build or the vacuumer swaps to one of the other two roles after vacuuming. When only 2 people in our Warbands team were online, I played the culler and the other guy would do vacuuming then swap to no-kill DPS.

For DPSing, we tried 2h RT Cyclone and physical bows. The latter was dramatically better due to the defensiveness of not getting into melee range. Built right, you can also turn physical bow builds into reasonable solo DPS+MFers.

For solo DPS+MF, caustic arrow and flame totem are the best options I know of. If you're rich enough to stack DPS, tankiness, and MF all at the same time, Windripper would be a good choice.
2.6 BLS Berserker budget shaper farmer build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1882710
My tree is just a basic high-block high-armor tree with using Aegis in mind.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEAxthYYz38jM_2SF8_wQQUIBo-eWjvDn7iqW5QR3k5d-PAGuRR6dUB3HgNbztnm4TZtfKuPkd-L8xybDWSxq69NsGCbEbYvQthPC0MX8T2ZU1NRjIJr2yDXxjXxBWvp3Kpvqdi7GjyU6U9D_cyrKpVqYnYGbSE7_AfBjkU9nzZWfOXtGhYLYPawaLqogD7qoY7nz4aOHIPagHXlhUgdO0S4QSz8wYt0pBVlG9xhWaeLOkJMwUtwGZRYGZUVykWQLcxhrPRNnrvPAVG14V9jHbiLECg73zAv0a3qZXTbwz3rK8blzJO

Basically I have Aurumvorax and Empires Grasp on also the Dyadian Dawn belt keeps me from doing no physical damage but I can still do elemental damage which allows me to skip getting Ancestral Bond. Also it keeps me from killing mobs while Cycloning but once I want to kill them I can with Discharge.

Once I swap on Southbound and Mjolner I can just stand AFK and let the Vengeance and Reckoning procs autocast Discharge for me. Volls Devotion isn't really needed since Ambu's Charge generates a massive amount of Endurance charges from all the monsters landing crits on me. However if you have a Voll's Devotion you can swap out Ambu's for a Kingsguard for even more ridiculous sustain.

I tried doing it 3 player like you were talking about but my friends don't really have the best builds for it. The DPS character was a Fakener and he put on Southbound to make sure he didn't kill anything but the lag was way too much and at a certain point he would die even with Vaal Pact. Ele reflect was also an instant 1-shot.

I am currently leveling up another MF character though to use the Mallori method with the Bladefall totems. It looked pretty good and that way lowering them to 1 health won't be necessary.
Last edited by noremac13 on Jan 9, 2016, 7:20:55 AM
Thanks for the info. Your approach sounds interesting.

"
noremac13 wrote:
Volls Devotion isn't really needed since Ambu's Charge generates a massive amount of Endurance charges from all the monsters landing crits on me. However if you have a Voll's Devotion you can swap out Ambu's for a Kingsguard for even more ridiculous sustain.

If you're discharging endurance charges, won't you be triggering ignites? Ignites do DoT damage and that bypasses the no-kill restriction of Southbound.
I have RT so I can't crit and no ignite chance in the tree so I never ignite.
Hi there,

I have a question, if I take RT and use a 3 white socket Prismatic Eclipse, wouldn't that be better? More melee range and less mobs wander away? (if not 100% knockback)

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Prismatic_Eclipse

A friend and I are theory crafting a duo farm group for Ghosthunting.
█▀▀▌ █▌█▀▀▀ █▀▀▌█▄░▌
█▀▀█ █▌▀▀▀█ █░░▌█▀▌▌
█▄▄▌ █▌█▄▄█ █▄▄▌█░█▌
"
eviL_Bison wrote:
Hi there,

I have a question, if I take RT and use a 3 white socket Prismatic Eclipse, wouldn't that be better? More melee range and less mobs wander away? (if not 100% knockback)

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Prismatic_Eclipse

A friend and I are theory crafting a duo farm group for Ghosthunting.

With a 3W Prismatic Eclipse, your weapon will have 6+6=12 range, versus 7+2=9 for a master-crafted vagan thrusting sword. If you're insanely lucky, you can also get a +2 range implicit on a prismatic, for 14 total range. You'll lose a lot of attack speed (1.3 vs. 1.9+).

As long as you don't see the mobs escaping due to the slow attack speed, I suspect 3W prismatic + is the better option. Very expensive, so use it if you have it!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info