Azmodael's Rain of Chaos build (11k+ EHP 800k+ boss DPS)

Hello community, I will be showcasing my Firestorm Rain of Chaos build. It features insane single target damage, as well as great survivability and the use of the vastly underrated Corrupted Energy unique jewel.

PROS:
Spoiler

+cheap and effective, great for beginning characters
+Incredible single target damage
+able to do ANY map mod in the game
+fairly tanky

CONS:
Spoiler

-Requires pot management
-Firestorm damage is delayed over time, not able to one-shot packs in half a second like some bladefall or bow builds
-spell causes lag and visual impairment on the battlefield(much less so then before, but still significant)

The DPS calculation
Spoiler

AoE damage is too random to be correctly calculated. It is, however, more then enough to clear up to 11 tier maps with ease. Will probably be fine for T15 as well, just need to get them first...

Single target damage against big hitbox targets:

Damage per fireball 3000, Firestorm duration 3.8 sec, one fireball falls every 0.1 sec
38*3000=114,000 damage per cast

Current cast time 0,27 seconds

114,000/0,27=422,000 damage over 3,8 seconds

Poison:

After each fireball hit it poisons the enemy for 10% of original damage. This damage is chaos damage and we have 150% increased chaos damage on tree.

Each fireball poisons for 3000*10%*2,5=750 damage
Poison lasts for 3.8 seconds and delivers a total of 750*3,8=2850 damage
One firestorm hits with 38 fireballs per cast, so total poison damage is 2850*38=108,300 (per casting of fireball)
108,300/0,27 cast speed = 401.110 damage

Total damage (if all fireballs hit) 823,110 damage.

Now in practice not all fireballs will hit the enemy. The bigger the model of the boss they more they will. Big targets like Atziri, Kole etc are simply erased by this damage.

Note that even only 30% of the fireballs hit (against very small targets like Dry Woods bosses) you are still looking at 250,000 damage

Current tree
"
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAA-4EswceCPQNfA5IES0RLxFQEZYWvxslHNwdvh_HIvQmlSj6KgsrCit4LJwtizLRM4c1kjW5Nj08BT1fPydBh0VHRZ1JUUmxSshLrk3jUlNTUlVLV8lZbVxAXfJfal-YYeJirGjyakNqjGwLbIxtGW6qcFJ1nnxLfIN_xoKbgseHy4nTjDaPGo_6kyeVLpf0mjua4J2qn9-iAKLZplenK6ebsNi1SLXytz64k7zqwFTAZsgUzxXPMtDQ1abXz9i92VvpAutj6-7tPO9874jwH_DV9W_5N_no_gr-jw==?accountName=azmodael&characterName=Sickening_Flame

Bandits: 40 life/ 5% cast speed/ point

Leveling:
Use PewPewPew's excellent generic Firestorm guide found here. It has served me both as an inspiration and as a starting point. The zombies are absolutely amazing if you do not have access to high es gear and corrupted energy.

Why Corrupted Energy is so good
Spoiler
This Jewel is incredibly underappreciated, probably because so few people play ES/Life hybrids.

It allows you to split incoming physical/chaos damage between your ES and Life pool. This gives us two very noticeable advantages

1. You can have very shitty chaos resist and you won't RIP as easily to chaos damage because we have 11k EHP instead of only 5k hp like a normal character would.
2. You take half of your damage on your life and replenish it with Life Regen + Pots, while your ES only take half damage and is replenished by Life Leech

Point 2 is incredibly important, if only because Pots are so strong atm. My 2,8% life regen will take care of all minor hits and my instant flask will take care of the big ones, meanwhile my ES is taking only half the damage and basically serves as 50% damage reduction as long as it is up.

Lets see an example, one character has 5k life, 6k ES and Corrupted Energy, the other has the same stats, but no jewel.

Both characters take a massive physical hit of 4k damage.

The character with corrupted energy will have 3k life, 4k es left. He immediately pops a potion and his life is capped and he now has to leech a missing 2k ES.

The character WITHOUT corrupted energy will have 5k life and 2k es left. His pots are dead weight and he is forces to leech 4k missing ES.

Infernal Mantle's downside - you were warned!
"
100% increased Spell Damage taken when on Low Mana

This means that whenever you fall between 35% of your mana all enemy SPELLS will deal double damage to you. This is huge. HUGE. Since we have 35% of mana pool reserved this leaves only 30% of your mana pool to cast spells on. At around 1k mana that is barely 320 mana and the spell costs 100/cast. Be careful. Mana management is very important!

If you find this hard to deal with I recommend that you remove Discipline and grab the 2 point jewel socket between Witch and Shadow and buy the Clear Mind jewel. It gives a huge 60% damage increased plus 30% mana regen on a good roll.

Current gear
Spoiler

Gem links
Spoiler

Main: Firestorm - Concentrated Effect - Added Chaos - Spell Echo - Faster Casting - (Controlled Destruction) -> drop controlled destruction if you only have 5l. Also replace it with Item Rarity when solo mapping

Supports:

3l Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify
3l Increased Duration - Vaal Discipline - Rallying Cry

4l Spell Totem - Wither - Faster Casting - Increased AoE (or Duration, I prefer AoE)
4l High level CwDT (or Cast when Stunned) - Fire/Chaos Golem - Molten Shell - Life Leech
4l Low level CwDT - Warlord's Mark - Frost Wall - Discipline

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Videos:
Sorry for voice quality, my mic is poor and its too quiet and it also distorts my voice a lot. I just don't use it very much to be worth updating

Atziri with 6l Infernal Mantle
Atziri with 5l Infernal Mantle
Farming Beyond bosses in T9 150quantity map
Last edited by azmodael on Dec 26, 2015, 3:05:01 AM
Last bumped on Feb 2, 2016, 10:39:15 PM
Nice build, man! Have been playing a similar one, based on yours as you know. Here's the tree I planned out - has more crit, similar life, less chaos damage. Tree is for lev 93.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAA-4EswceCPQNfA5IES8RUBGWFr8bJRzcHb4i9CaVKPoqCysKLJwy0TOHNZI1uT1fPydBh0VHRZ1JUUmxSshLrlJTVUtXyVltXfJfal-YYeJqQ2qMbAttGW6qcFJ_xoKbgseJ04w2jxqP-pMnlS6X9Jo7muCf36IAotmnK7DYtUi18rc-uJPAVMBmyBTPMtDQ1abXz9i92VvpAutj6-7tPO9874jw1fVv-Tf56P4Kl5VMs66zBUJBltD1voqhL8rTtAzqukZxgwlvnpykhxN3B_GzS1fA4-v1ZJ3yHeFzBAeD21XGU1I=?accountName=azmodael&characterName=Sickening_Flame

I really thought that perhaps critting frequently would mean more poison dmg anyway so I won't need that many chaos damage nodes? With a 33% crit dagger in off-hand i'm up to 45% crit chance. Not sure, if using PCoC is worth it, but let me know, what you think of the whole more critty concept. :)

For levelling I recommend waiting with discipline and using clear mind jewel. Your damage will be huge and at level 79 I still get 100 mil exp/h from dried lake.
Last edited by eetfukufuk on Dec 23, 2015, 12:06:11 PM
I would have been using a very similar build if I was using crit myself.

You have no charges on tree. A Q20 increased critical strikes gives you 167% increased crit chance. Should be better then using PCoC?

Also the shield is a main source of ES. I wouldn't drop it for a dagger. Spell crit also competes with life and ES as it is also a prefix.
Using a dagger now since I'm playing self-found. Definitely will invest in a shield, probably an ex or two. And i think that DPS-wise increased crit damage would be more dps, although not as consistent.

I have considered respeccing into your tree too, but I think I'll give the crit way a try and will see what difficulties I run into, if any. Survivability-wise the trees are almost identical.
I guess this answers my question whether firestorm stacks on top of itself.
Your rings man,

you should have 20% ES not +23 on your rings and Amulet
Gotta love those DPS calculations, Firestorm drops 1 fireball each 0.1s, but that doesn't mean it will hit what you target.
IGN RegnetExitium
A concentrated effect Firestorm will hit all stationary bosses at 100% or nearly 100% efficiency.

Currently shopping for ring updates :)
Drop faster casting for void manipulation, I dont understand why you wouldn't use it in a full chaos build.

Next step is dropping Added Chaos for Empower 3/4.

Last but not least drop the AOE nodes from the tree and watch your single target DPS skyrocket, Increased AOE to clear the trash instead of conc its more than enough.

Oh and for the love of god, take the Poison nodes from the tree.

You are a wasting a insane amount of potential here, I actually tested a life version with acro of this build yesterday and stacking firestorms on the titty bitch before triggering her would just outright kill her before she could do anything, same with the vaals and Atziri split phase, your video looks painful in comparison.

And one more thing, use vaal lightning trap with increased duration on vaals and atziri split phase to kill them in the blink of an eye.

Not to mention that Blood Magic completely removes Infernal Mantle downside so you dont have to drop dps time because you might start taking 100% increased damage...

Overall very unoptimized setup of a very OP boss killer build.
Lowest level Hardcore Atziri Kill ~ Level 65 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyDB6Haa6U8
Level 100 Tempest HC with self-made and most played build of POE 2.0 ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlTUOhqEZ9s
(✿◠‿◠)
Last edited by yotmato on Dec 24, 2015, 10:19:33 AM
"
yotmato wrote:
Drop faster casting for void manipulation, I dont understand why you wouldn't use it in a full chaos build.

Next step is dropping Added Chaos for Empower 3/4.

Last but not least drop the AOE nodes from the tree and watch your single target DPS skyrocket, Increased AOE to clear the trash instead of conc its more than enough.

Oh and for the love of god, take the Poison nodes from the tree.

You are a wasting a insane amount of potential here, I actually tested a life version with acro of this build yesterday and stacking firestorms on the titty bitch before triggering her would just outright kill her before she could do anything, same with the vaals and Atziri split phase, your video looks painful in comparison.

And one more thing, use vaal lightning trap with increased duration on vaals and atziri split phase to kill them in the blink of an eye.

Not to mention that Blood Magic completely removes Infernal Mantle downside so you dont have to drop dps time because you might start taking 100% increased damage...

Overall very unoptimized setup of a very OP boss killer build.

You make some good points, but not all of them are as good as you imagine them to be.

Dropping Faster Casting increases my cast time from 0.27 to 0.36 seconds - that means 2,7 costs per second compared to 3.7 with Faster Casting. This means faster casting gives 37% more casts = 37% more dps. It also makes you much more responsive, since you are stuck in place for 0.54 sec compared to 0.72 secs if you don't have FC.

Void Manipulation gives 25% reduced damage (which actually applies, just as Elemental Increased bonuses apply to Firestorm), but you are correct that it is probably better then at least Added Chaos.

Empower level 3 adds 19% more damage to level 20 Firestorm socketed in the mantle - this is beaten even by Added Chaos. Empower level 4 is worth it, although stupidly expensive and out of budget atm.

Vaals and Atziri die incredibly easy anyway. I'd rather have Vaal Discipline as a back-up failsafe.

I may actually try dropping the AoE nodes as an experiment, thank you. Atm I am just running Conc effect at all times and it worked fine.

I considered Blood Magic, but imho it is just too far away. Better spend those nodes on Mana nodes and benefit from Discipline - 1k free ES.

Poison damage nodes are 6 nodes for 125% increased poison damage only. Might as well spend those 6 points in witch starting area if you want damage, since they will apply to the base damage of firestorm and thus to poison as well.
Last edited by azmodael on Dec 24, 2015, 11:38:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info