Donald Trump

Taxpayers already provide significant support to US universities.

University of Michigan: 18¢ public funds per dollar of revenue from tuition and fees
University of California: 80¢ public funds per dollar of revenue from tuition and fees
University of Texas: 53¢ public funds per dollar of revenue from tuition and fees

Most of this is funding on the state, not federal, level... but you're still, in all likelihood, paying for it... regardless of whether you attend university or not.

And that's the other thing: it's never free. Ever. "Free college" means the federal government takes on the fiscal responsibility... and then, sooner or later, the people take on the fiscal responsibilities of the government. Maybe not in this generation, more likely it's a debt your children will have to deal with... which makes it different from a student loan how?

The only way people can go for stuff like this is by mentally distancing themselves from what's really happening. "Oh, we're just fleecing Uncle Sam for money for college." Well, take a look, dumbasses, you're fleecing yourselves. We are the United States... whether we want to be, or not.

And we are in a metric shitton of debt already.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 18, 2016, 2:58:13 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
And that's the other thing: it's never free. Ever. "Free college" means the federal government takes on the fiscal responsibility... and then, sooner or later, the people take on the fiscal responsibilities of the government. Maybe not in this generation, more likely it's a debt your children will have to deal with... which makes it different from a student loan how?

Well, moving the risk from misinformed teenagers to a whole country, if you accept there is going to be benefits from doing that, it's not as insane of a idea. It can make sense if shielding people from debt is economically more sound than letting them take the debt, and if they end doing something useful (that requires not allowing everyone to do it, of course). Also, there is a big difference between giving subsidies and completely free (the first one will generate a bubble combined with loans for sure).

Also, I doubt there is a mental distancing. At least, people in my country seem to understand what they are financing, and they are actually proud about it (and no one is giving loans for education, so no bubble). Education is a few coins, relatively speaking, there are way more wasteful activities in government. It's not without problems (see Morbo posts), but it's way better than US situation.

I've read US used to have almost free tuition in colleges in the past, what happened with that?

PS: there are alternatives to the free system like making people pay their degrees via a tax on earnings, so I admit is not the best solution necessarily, but it has proven itself in many places.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 18, 2016, 3:43:25 PM
There's a huge mentality of "this is MY money not the gubmints. I shouldn't have to pay taxes for things I don't want to!". As such college aid through taxes is heavily pushed back by those people. I have a few friends who think it. I personally am not a huge fan of full free college for everyone, but establishing better grants and creating a better distribution of the debt I feel may be good. But I'm not an economist so I don't know shit.

Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
"
NeroNoah wrote:
I've read US used to have almost free tuition in colleges in the past, what happened with that?

Status, and building funds. Imagine that there was once a free to play game called Path of Exile, and then one day the 5 kilometer Krillson Skypier was built, with 1,234 stories of programming office goodness.

That was the cheap part of the university. Constructing the sky bridge was the real cost.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:

Status, and building funds. Imagine that there was once a free to play game called Path of Exile, and then one day the 5 kilometer Krillson Skypier was built, with 1,234 stories of programming office goodness.

That was the cheap part of the university. Constructing the sky bridge was the real cost.

Democracy doesn't work.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Ok, ill admit this is funny

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/video/getting-an-election-a-canadian-trolls-america-234

Some of Trump's supporters are unreal
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Apr 18, 2016, 11:15:01 PM
"On 7-11 the WTC came down (by a 24-7)" oh Trump.
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:

Non-profit institutions, although making a profit, are allowed the same tax shelters as charity non-profits. Colleges are one of very few institutions that be non-profit yet some how make millions and still not have to give some of that money back to the government. We subsidize state colleges with tax money > students pay on top of what is subsidized > College keeps all of the money = Student fucked with loans AND tax payers are out on "invested" tax money. It's simply retarded.

It's a fucking racket like most everything in the US. We're built off fucking one another without letting the other know. Greed is rampant in the US. We have charities and non-profit shells that allow rich people to hide money, but don't do much of anything at all in terms of actually helping people. We have a government that spends its peoples money recklessly.

We used to have some sort of decent national image. Land of the the free and all of that shit... now it's "money talks, bullshit walks"...or at least that's what it feels like. There used to be a time where immigrants would come to America seeking a new and better life...now those same immigrants will probably get exploited by some sort of government-corporate cronyism that will pay them shit wages and make them think they are "free".

People that live in this country know that freedom can be monitized. The US government has conned it's ignorant constituents into believing that using million dollar bombs to blow up one dollar huts in foreign countries is somehow justified.

Trump, Hillary, Sanders...it makes no difference. This country needs a revolution...but unfortunately we're so glued to our DVRs and Facebook posts that no real change can take place.

Frankly I am saddened by what America has become. The only solace I have is that greed isn't sustainable. Eventually some crazy shake up will happen because of greed and maybe...JUST MAYBE...this country can go back to its roots as a Republic rather than a Corporate/Government Oligarchy.
Last edited by Prizy on Apr 19, 2016, 5:12:27 PM
"
Hilbert wrote:

Heh, all politicians etc. make mistakes in their speeches and/or have brain farts from time to time (it's bound to happen when you talk constantly for hours).
The fact that medias and liberals make a big fuss out of it just shows how immature they are lol
"
Jaille wrote:
"
Hilbert wrote:

Heh, all politicians etc. make mistakes in their speeches and/or have brain farts from time to time (it's bound to happen when you talk constantly for hours).
The fact that medias and liberals make a big fuss out of it just shows how immature they are lol

weird how the same people not giving a shit about his 7/11 gaffe are the ones who were on Obama for his "57 states" gaffe
For all your up-to-date Path of Exile news and events, check out the official Path of Exile Forum here -------- http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info