Donald Trump

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:
Um, did you link the wrong page or something? There's nothing there which supports your position, and plenty which supports mine.

Scroll down
"

4- Prevalence of Use of Various Drugs in the Netherlands

"

Lifetime Prevalence %

Last Year Prevalence %

Cocaine, Amphetamine and Heroin use has all gone up since 1997, how can that be a good thing?

What do you think supports your arguments?

Im not seeing it, im genuinely asking
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Apr 9, 2016, 8:16:00 PM
Sorry, but I really don't give a shit if more or less people do heroin or cocaine or amphetamines. Anywhere. I'm not out to save people from themselves.

Here's what does interest me: the US has over 8 times the incarceration rate and 5 times the homicide rate of the Netherlands.

I don't give a flying fuck if someone is living in addiction. I don't give a fuck if they OD. I start caring when an addict steals to pay for their addiction, when a turf war between dealers leads to a gunfight, or when a massive black market industry all but seizes control of a national government.

You want people not to do drugs. I want people not to keep their rightful belongings, stay alive, avoid torture, and remain out of jail until they do something which interferes with the rights of others.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Sorry, but I really don't give a shit if more or less people do heroin or cocaine or amphetamines. Anywhere. I'm not out to save people from themselves.

Scrote man cmon that's ruthless man. Where are these people gonna go other than our gutters?

I see your point I do and I agree that the victims of violent crimes deserve as much if not more protection and societal safety nets than the addicts themselves but there's got to be some kind of balance, extremes are just bad for everyone involved and we know it doesn't work.

The incarceration problem is real and i'm not denying that. There are a lot of things in play here but this started with you saying you think those hard drugs should be legal, I understand the reasoning but I think it's swaying too much in the opposite direction.
Last edited by TheWretch on Apr 9, 2016, 8:37:25 PM
You're talking to a former homeless bum, mind you.

Addicts don't need to live in gutters. There are perfectly good homeless shelters which will take them. They don't go there, because it's difficult to get high with rules like "you need to be in by 9pm" and "if you leave, you stay gone until 6am."

Addicts are given a choice: a roof and two free meals if you're sober for a night, or the gutter. And they choose the gutter, even though they could still get high during the day if desired.

The safety nets in the US aren't without room for improvement, but they're functional. When people stay stuck down at the very bottom, it's because they don't want to climb up.

Now, a lot of that not wanting to stuff is mental illness, and I do feel that the lack of mental health treatment for the homeless is probably the largest failing of the system. I get that wanting the wrong thing when one is crazy is not entirely one's fault (although still their responsibility).
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 9, 2016, 8:57:57 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
You're talking to a former homeless bum, mind you.

Addicts don't need to live in gutters. There are perfectly good homeless shelters which will take them. They don't go there, because it's difficult to get high with rules like "you need to be in by 9pm" and "if you leave, you stay gone until 6am."

Addicts are given a choice: a roof and two free meals if you're sober for a night, or the gutter. And they choose the gutter, even though they could still get high during the day if desired.

The safety nets in the US aren't without room for improvement, but they're functional. When people stay stuck down at the very bottom, it's because they don't want to climb up.

Now, a lot of that not wanting to stuff is mental illness, and I do feel that the lack of mental health treatment for the homeless is probably the largest failing of the system. I get that wanting the wrong thing when one is crazy is not entirely one's fault (although still their responsibility).

I couldn't agree more with all of that. Imagine how fucked these people would be if we legalized it all though. Half of them would probably overdose within a few months given the new purity standards and availability, that's a ton of people.

I'm not pretending to have an answer to the drug crisis but legalizing it all would be like opening pandora's box and it would be almost impossible to go back for better or worse.
"
TheWretch wrote:
Cocaine, Amphetamine and Heroin use has all gone up since 1997, how can that be a good thing?

This makes me remember the discussions about the gateway drug theory. Is something intrinsic to Marihuana? Or is the fact that for many years there was a campaign of misinformation and people won't believe a lot what they are told, so they will try harder drugs? Or is there another variable in play, like peer pressure or individual predisposition?

If you read from the same page, it even says that the addictivity is lesser than the alcohol's one. I'd argue alcohol is more dangerous, we are just desensitivized.

Just numbers going up are not enough, you have to be able to explain the causal link between phenomena.

Personally, I'd rather have people not using any substance (not even alcohol or tobacco), but I'm more interested in what works.

And I wouldn't discount the "well, we have more addicts but less violence overall" factor that Scrotie talks about.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 9, 2016, 10:21:40 PM
I'm not even sure we'd have more addicts under legalization. Some, no doubt, but treating addiction less like a crime means it can be treated more like a mental health issue. (Although that pertains to legalizing possession, not to legalizing distribution.)
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 9, 2016, 10:25:00 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'm not even sure we'd have more addicts under legalization. Some, no doubt, but treating addiction less like a crime means it can be treated more like a mental health issue.

I agree with you, but I don't feel comfortable with hard drugs (and I wouldn't be so sure that it would end like alcohol's legalization).

See this graph:

Spoiler

You can estimate how much damage alcohol does, how do you think it would scale for, let's say, heroin? I know, enforcing prohibition requires a lot of violence, but it can exist some drugs so harmful that it's just less harmful overall to just prohibit them. Also, consider that the level of violence you see currently for enforcement is because of a lot of failed policies in general. It would be great if there was some way to estimate that that is not gut feelings.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Last edited by NeroNoah on Apr 9, 2016, 10:53:20 PM
Talking about drugs and Netherlands, take in account that economical situation is worse than 1997, and by worse i mean the worst maybe counting even ww2. So it's understandable that people go into drugs and stuff like that easier than before. I'm not talking about US cause i don't really know the situation there but maybe it can add something to your discussion.
For an Emperor to be just, an Emperor must be patient.
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
Last edited by Einkil on Apr 10, 2016, 7:48:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info