Want to be the next Jay Wilson?

Until they hire a true fan of games instead of some fatcat manager with "5 years of managing video games" D3 will always be pure cancer.
D3 will always be pure cancer regardless. The game is rotten down to its very fundamentals.. There is no fixing that monstrosity without a complete remake. Oh and also the staff needs some massive improvement like 60% or more of the devs who work on D3 are just awful.
"
Omnivore61 wrote:
Yeah I believe it is called the Peter principle - something like "people are promoted to the level of their incompetence".

I have seen this first hand at a big company I worked for years ago.. My dept supervisor who was about as useful as a paperweight got promoted to VP and was given a big vendor conversion project for our new software. 1 month later he and his team had managed to do absolutely nothing, though they spent a fortune on lunch meetings and seminars and what not. The project was taken from him and given to my new boss, she did the whole thing by herself in 2 days while sick with the flu.

The DIPSHIT in question was then promoted again and given some logistics position which he ran into the ground as I left the company. I imagine he is now CEO.
"
fourthx wrote:
"
Omnivore61 wrote:
Yeah I believe it is called the Peter principle - something like "people are promoted to the level of their incompetence".

I have seen this first hand at a big company I worked for years ago.. My dept supervisor who was about as useful as a paperweight got promoted to VP and was given a big vendor conversion project for our new software. 1 month later he and his team had managed to do absolutely nothing, though they spent a fortune on lunch meetings and seminars and what not. The project was taken from him and given to my new boss, she did the whole thing by herself in 2 days while sick with the flu.

The DIPSHIT in question was then promoted again and given some logistics position which he ran into the ground as I left the company. I imagine he is now CEO.

This is funny... for everyone else anyway.
In Wraeclast, if someone tries to kill you... you just kill them right back.
"
fourthx wrote:
"
Omnivore61 wrote:

I bet he was related to the former CEO in some way.
"
He made a post in the D3 forums a while back saying he'd been at it for seven years and wanted to move on. Whether that's what actually happened is any one's guess.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind he was told to resign. Seven years is not that long to achieve the position he did, and he stepped down to do what, exactly?

His departure also coincided with Blizzard publicly stating that D3 "needed to get better." Not a random coincidence. JW was gracefully fired, which is typical of people in positions like his. You are told "resign or else," and so you come up with a convenient excuse and put in your papers.
"
fourthx wrote:

This definitely happens with a lot of large companies, it doesn't even have to be a person in power either.

I've found that in larger companies, with lots of politics as well as an ever fear of being sued by a former employee that it's much easier to promote, laterally or upward, a person to a new department and let them be someone else's problem rather than do the paperwork and research needed to fire someone.

One of the first jobs I ever took was a project analyst at a very large corrections corporation. The manager that was over me would receive guys from HR who had literally no knowledge of software development or project management, so he'd keep them for 4-5 months doing trivial tasks (nothing that could hinder the project deadline) and then compliment them and write such good reviews about them that another department would pick them up - and thus be that department's problem.

The other alternative would be to go through HR, file dozens of formal complaints on the employee, have meetings with the employee, do more training with the employee, gather evidence about why the employee is hindering productivity, etc....not worth it...better to pass someone off as someone else's problem.
Last edited by Elynole on Feb 15, 2013, 12:27:57 PM
FAQ: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
GGG Posttracker: http://www.gggtracker.com/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info