Map drop rates are a real problem

Problem is if everything is too easy, it is because you likely run one of the following builds:
Double flame totem
Incinerate
Explosive Arrow
Poison Arrow
SRS
Cyclone

or a build that has a very high currency requirement like vaal spark though I thought it wasn't that good in later maps.
"
Cherd wrote:

But with the current setup, besides drop rates, there is no segregation of these tiers. They are represented as normal progression, and yes, I feel that I am entitled to them if I put in the effort. When, despite my best efforts, I cannot obtain them, it is infuriating. That is a problem.

Your best efforts aren't good enough then. I'm a 90% solo player who doesn't even pick t8 maps anymore due to having only 4 tabs, since maps above that already fill my stash to the brim. I planned my way to higher map tiers and currently got one or more maps from every single tier of t9 and above. I've had every different tileset from t9 and above drop at least once, including all three t15 maps.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
About map drops:

A problem is that you need increased item quantity on your gear to sustain it. So GGG balances around people running with iiq. The result is that if you don't run iiq you're stuck at 74-77 maps that are very trivial, even alched. This is because 80-100% increased item quantity from your gear >>> the item quantity on the map itself. Have you looked at the quantity of your gear OP?

It was a lot better if GGG kept the old map system and didn't decide to up the levels of the maps by this much. Previously highest level maps were 78, now 82. They should've just kept the old map drop system I do remember that sustaining 75-76 maps was the norm if you alched everything and that you ocassionally went into 77-78 maps.

It also wouldn't have made achieving level 100 super easy. Currently there are some players reaching 100 in 130 hours with overpowered vaal spark.

******UPDATE*******
Before running Colosseum I ran a lvl 79 Overgrown Ruin as a warmup. Magic mobs dropped 3x lvl 80 maps (Wasteland, Courtyard, and Waterways)!!!!!!!

Then I ran Colosseum and full cleared it for the Achievement, Daresso killed me once :(
But mobs dropped a lvl 82 Abyss and a lvl 79 Overgrown Ruin!!!

I also had an Empower go lvl 3 while in Colosseum, I get back to my ho and Vaal it, BOOM! +1!!

Haha!! The irony is thick!! I've had map drop runs like these before, but reality always comes crashing down in short order. I still think that high map drop rates need to be increased, but tonight has been a blast so far!!

"
Sogolon wrote:
Problem is if everything is too easy, it is because you likely run one of the following builds:
Double flame totem

That's the one ;) Nut perfect Sire of Shards that I found and 6 Linked in Warbands. And it just got even better with my new Empower :D

Ya, dual totem is a bit OP. But, intentionally running a weaker build doesn't sound like much fun.

"
Sogolon wrote:
About map drops:

A problem is that you need increased item quantity on your gear to sustain it. So GGG balances around people running with iiq. The result is that if you don't run iiq you're stuck at 74-77 maps that are very trivial, even alched.

I know that map drops are affected by iiq, but no, I do not have a shred of iiq on my gear. I've always preferred to focus on the build as opposed to iir-iiq. It kinda sucks that it is inadvertently a requirement for sustaining endgame. Besides, it is very atypical of me to play in Standard. Getting iiq on gear in leagues is pretty jank.
Last edited by Cherd on Dec 3, 2015, 8:41:53 PM
"
Sogolon wrote:
About map drops:

A problem is that you need increased item quantity on your gear to sustain it. So GGG balances around people running with iiq.

Other players have always said this isn't true (but without referencing GGG proof) so I did some digging and found the GGG post that says IIQ on character no longer increases map drops.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/49750

The first change in these patch notes says the players IIQ stat does not affect the drop rate of maps anymore. It does still increase the drop rate of everything else in the map though.

Also, playing in parties does not increase the drop rates for maps either - there are obviously other benefits to party play though such as you pool your buffs, maps, currency etc.

Here's the GGG dev diary saying party play doesn't affect - see the last paragraph of the Map Drops section.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55194

It's a big game, big forum, information gets buried. My references may be out of date too but I couldn't find newer changes in regards to what affects map drops. It would be nice if GGG had a master thread for topics like this that continually resurface for easy referencing to correct information; maybe one day.

Happy looting peeps!

"The key to winning any fight is simply staying alive."
Last edited by WARPAINTER on Dec 3, 2015, 8:49:41 PM
"
"
Cherd wrote:

But with the current setup, besides drop rates, there is no segregation of these tiers. They are represented as normal progression, and yes, I feel that I am entitled to them if I put in the effort. When, despite my best efforts, I cannot obtain them, it is infuriating. That is a problem.

Your best efforts aren't good enough then. I'm a 90% solo player who doesn't even pick t8 maps anymore due to having only 4 tabs, since maps above that already fill my stash to the brim. I planned my way to higher map tiers and currently got one or more maps from every single tier of t9 and above. I've had every different tileset from t9 and above drop at least once, including all three t15 maps.

Well, then you either:

- farm Chaos orbs through Chaos recipe extensively to have enough Chaos for re-rolling maps / Zana mods (I refuse to do that because it includes mindless grinding of boring content)
- farm SAC pieces a lot to get +IIQ on maps (did that a bit, pretty boring after a while)
- trade for Chisels at least (pretty likely)
- have very good luck

There is not much planning involved for high-tier maps. It is pretty obvious what has to be done. It includes a lot of grinding and spending a lot of currency on maps (or buying them). BTW it would be much better if SAC pieces and Chisels increased IIR instead of IIQ for maps and if Zana mods did not have such a massive impact (and re-balance map drops accordingly). That would at least reduce the currency factor in map drops, while the RNG factor would still be around. Currently, forget about risk-reward. It should be called currency-reward.

I got bored out of playing maps before reaching the T13+ ones to be honest. I started a new character, by now I actually just play a lot less. Not sure if that is by design.

As for the builds I run, yes, one is Incinerate. The other one is Ice Shot, also destroys maps pretty efficiently (but has some problems running some specific map mods).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on Dec 3, 2015, 10:14:44 PM
"
Vhlad wrote:
Mapping in poe is not truly FTP though. Even if you play self-found and only run maps you obtain legitimately, there's a forgone risk-adjusted opportunity cost for consuming a T12+ map instead of selling it (and the cost is high enough to be meaningful)...since map tiers were added I've leveled one character from 0 to 90 and another from 92 to 94.7 and I haven't run a single T13+ map yet.

This post highlights the real reason high-level maps are so scarce. The intent is not to force mainstream players to grind for them or even to pay2play for them. It's to make high-level maps so obscenely valuable that it would be a waste to actually play them rather than sell them for Exalts. The elitist result is that only bot herders can profitably farm high-level maps, and only the rich can afford to indulge in them.
Last edited by RogueMage on Dec 4, 2015, 2:50:30 AM
The basic problem with maps is, and has been since the start, that one has to spend currency for added challenge.

If you are into the trading game, this is not a big problem, but if you just want to play with your char, you are basically doomed to boring repetition. Maps get increasingly scare as you go up in tiers so eventually you will end up running non-challenging content just to occasionally play something more interesting.

Challenge should be free, but GGG seems to feel that they need a currency sink. And getting to level 100 should not be that fast, since some players really like the grind.

One way to achieve both could be to separate map challenge and progression. This could be achieved by having a free Zana action that adds difficulty and rarity to a map, but does not increase map drops. Difficulty could be added multiple times so that one would always have access to challenging enough content.

"
Sogolon wrote:
About map drops:

A problem is that you need increased item quantity on your gear to sustain it.

IIQ on your gear & party IIQ bonus, does not increase map drops. Only the map quantity itself has influence on map drops.

The problem of PoE's RNG gated content is huge variance, which results in a very inconsistent progression. GGG top brass thinks that not gaining any progression in 150%+ rolled rip-maps is ok, since piss-easy rolled blue maps will sometimes drop several +1 to "compensate"... But in reality this system sucks, because it produces a bad difficulty / reward gaming experience.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
Cherd wrote:
******UPDATE*******
Before running Colosseum I ran a lvl 79 Overgrown Ruin as a warmup. Magic mobs dropped 3x lvl 80 maps (Wasteland, Courtyard, and Waterways)!!!!!!!

Then I ran Colosseum and full cleared it for the Achievement, Daresso killed me once :(
But mobs dropped a lvl 82 Abyss and a lvl 79 Overgrown Ruin!!!

I also had an Empower go lvl 3 while in Colosseum, I get back to my ho and Vaal it, BOOM! +1!!

Haha!! The irony is thick!! I've had map drop runs like these before, but reality always comes crashing down in short order. I still think that high map drop rates need to be increased, but tonight has been a blast so far!!

"
Sogolon wrote:
Double flame totem

That's the one ;) Nut perfect Sire of Shards that I found and 6 Linked in Warbands. And it just got even better with my new Empower :D

Ya, dual totem is a bit OP. But, intentionally running a weaker build doesn't sound like much fun.

"
Sogolon wrote:
About map drops:

A problem is that you need increased item quantity on your gear to sustain it. So GGG balances around people running with iiq. The result is that if you don't run iiq you're stuck at 74-77 maps that are very trivial, even alched.

I know that map drops are affected by iiq, but no, I do not have a shred of iiq on my gear. I've always preferred to focus on the build as opposed to iir-iiq. It kinda sucks that it is inadvertently a requirement for sustaining endgame. Besides, it is very atypical of me to play in Standard. Getting iiq on gear in leagues is pretty jank.

Apparently I was wrong about iiq (see warpainter's post). Grats on the runs though and nice vaal. I've been wanting to make a build with sire of shards for some time now but with spell totem + freezing pulse.

"
WARPAINTER wrote:
"
Sogolon wrote:
About map drops:

A problem is that you need increased item quantity on your gear to sustain it. So GGG balances around people running with iiq.

Other players have always said this isn't true (but without referencing GGG proof) so I did some digging and found the GGG post that says IIQ on character no longer increases map drops.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/49750

The first change in these patch notes says the players IIQ stat does not affect the drop rate of maps anymore. It does still increase the drop rate of everything else in the map though.

Also, playing in parties does not increase the drop rates for maps either - there are obviously other benefits to party play though such as you pool your buffs, maps, currency etc.

Here's the GGG dev diary saying party play doesn't affect - see the last paragraph of the Map Drops section.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55194

It's a big game, big forum, information gets buried. My references may be out of date too but I couldn't find newer changes in regards to what affects map drops. It would be nice if GGG had a master thread for topics like this that continually resurface for easy referencing to correct information; maybe one day.

Happy looting peeps!

Thanks a lot. all this time I thought it did increase map drops...

It couldn't find something on the wiki about it so I just assumed it.

Hmm I guess it then is better to just run maps blue and make sure you get pack size on it (this is easier on blue maps as you can better alternation bomb it than chaos bomb it). Usually you evade mods that make you die easily as you can only have 1 or 2 nasty mods instead of 4. Or does the rarity of the map affect map drops?

I'm a bit surprised as I always thought alching maps substantially increased chances of finding maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info