Path of Exile: Ascendancy (News Coverage)

Those traps, so much no.
Ye not exactly a fan of traps either, as I only play HC. 0.5 sec delay = dead ? Also, it seems its getting even more mandatory to get all the life/es/regen there is as you can now stack even more defenses (?)
Can't fucking wait. Wow. Just wow.
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
"
kreca73 wrote:
"
laminarija wrote:
"
kreca73 wrote:
everything you wrote there will also be true if you'll have 133 classes. 133 limits nothing of what you said in there.

in the end what you're doing here is agree with/on another layer of limiting factors on top of the talent tree, the skills, the uniques, the gems, the jewels and so on, for no reason at all.

If that's your conclusion I'm not going to argue with you anymore. It's going to be just a waste of my time, and yours.

i'd agree if this would be an he said she said kind of deal but it isn't.
to stick with your example, i'll give you an analogy - GGG presents you with the Leap Slam skill and then tells you they'll limit it to axe, mace, sword and staff. you then jump for joy and approve while i say that removing the weapon limit would increase the usage options of that skill.
i am objectively right and you're not.

if you want to talk about why GGG had to put in that limit in the first place or why it needs to be there, fine, but that's a different argument.
if you look at PoE evolution you'll notice that with time, it became more and more restrictive; the classes became more and more limited in their options. a semi-arbitrarily line in the sand needs to be drawn sometime before PoE becomes full on D3 - 1 best build - 1 best skill - 1 best class kind of game and players need to start drawing that line with their whining and bitching because GGG won't.

Edit: future prediction - after the implementation of class restrictions, GGG will start creating skills for ascensions alone. a skill will have the tag Assassination and that'll be all, the end; 99% restricted. GG and then another G.

There are several problems with your argument (I also read some of your other posts). For one, Path of Exiles greatness lies not in its lack of character identity, but in its deep itemization and customization. These are the systems that allow you to make any build (with varying degrees of success) with any character class. These systems are not changing, and actually the ascendancy classes we have seen thus far add very "nonlinear" bonuses that are extremely difficult to quantify on a min-maxing level, and often speak to different playstyle strengths. For example, you want to make a super tanky character. The necromancer, champion, and juggernaut can all do this in different ways - the champion is the least tanky of the 3, yet his permanent fortify will give you an edge in running through trapped areas. You can also watch Ziggy D's ascendancy video for another example (basically, many casters that were witch, templar, or shadow were very similar to each other, especially when building the same thing. Now, you could use a deadeye with free +1 chain to make a very competitive caster that is entirely different).

Complex decisions like the two above are why this game will NEVER be Diablo 3, in fact Diablo 3 could fast forward 20 years into the future and I bet it would still be Path of Exile's more casual forebearer.

Another problem I see with your argument: you seem to imply (to me) that people being able to make off-spec builds is a great part of the game. I totally agree with this, but think about it, in order for a build to be considered really creative and insightful and unique and all of that, it has to be compared against something, and that thing being compared to is the basic identity of each character class (marauder is melee only, witch is ranged spells only, stuff like that). So to summarize this sort of abstract concept: in the current iteration of Path of exile, I don't feel particularly clever for making an iron will righteous fire marauder, as I've come to understand over the years that there is no character identity really. So now if there is character identity, when you figure out a way to make off-class builds they will be even more meaningful and impressive than they currently are (and as I showed with the "super tank" example above, ascendancy classes add choice to the game that is beyond simple min / maxing and heavily favors certain playstyles and goals, meaning there will still never be one best build for everything).

I am hyped more than I have ever been at how much the meta is going to change due to Ascendancy classes.

So please, quit with these outlandish criticisms - you are saying that adding exponentially more choice to PoE is making it more like D3 because it ONLY added 19 classes instead of 133(each subclass working for all classes)? One of the reasons Diablo 3 sucks is because choices don't matter. You can quickly change at the drop of a hat and don't need to make any real decisions which are the real source of character identity
"
BesucherXia wrote:
time to add another title under my avatar.
IKTFB
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"
xHavoCx wrote:
"
kreca73 wrote:

... you can choose the class aesthetically and still be competitive. ...

incoming mtx for appearance variations on the starting classes :)

i would totaly love those.
"
Undead_Fred wrote:
"
kreca73 wrote:

i'd agree if this would be an he said she said kind of deal but it isn't.
to stick with your example, i'll give you an analogy - GGG presents you with the Leap Slam skill and then tells you they'll limit it to axe, mace, sword and staff. you then jump for joy and approve while i say that removing the weapon limit would increase the usage options of that skill.
i am objectively right and you're not.

if you want to talk about why GGG had to put in that limit in the first place or why it needs to be there, fine, but that's a different argument.
if you look at PoE evolution you'll notice that with time, it became more and more restrictive; the classes became more and more limited in their options. a semi-arbitrarily line in the sand needs to be drawn sometime before PoE becomes full on D3 - 1 best build - 1 best skill - 1 best class kind of game and players need to start drawing that line with their whining and bitching because GGG won't.

Edit: future prediction - after the implementation of class restrictions, GGG will start creating skills for ascensions alone. a skill will have the tag Assassination and that'll be all, the end; 99% restricted. GG and then another G.

There are several problems with your argument (I also read some of your other posts). For one, Path of Exiles greatness lies not in its lack of character identity, but in its deep itemization and customization. These are the systems that allow you to make any build (with varying degrees of success) with any character class. These systems are not changing, and actually the ascendancy classes we have seen thus far add very "nonlinear" bonuses that are extremely difficult to quantify on a min-maxing level, and often speak to different playstyle strengths. For example, you want to make a super tanky character. The necromancer, champion, and juggernaut can all do this in different ways - the champion is the least tanky of the 3, yet his permanent fortify will give you an edge in running through trapped areas. You can also watch Ziggy D's ascendancy video for another example (basically, many casters that were witch, templar, or shadow were very similar to each other, especially when building the same thing. Now, you could use a deadeye with free +1 chain to make a very competitive caster that is entirely different).

Complex decisions like the two above are why this game will NEVER be Diablo 3, in fact Diablo 3 could fast forward 20 years into the future and I bet it would still be Path of Exile's more casual forebearer.

Another problem I see with your argument: you seem to imply (to me) that people being able to make off-spec builds is a great part of the game. I totally agree with this, but think about it, in order for a build to be considered really creative and insightful and unique and all of that, it has to be compared against something, and that thing being compared to is the basic identity of each character class (marauder is melee only, witch is ranged spells only, stuff like that). So to summarize this sort of abstract concept: in the current iteration of Path of exile, I don't feel particularly clever for making an iron will righteous fire marauder, as I've come to understand over the years that there is no character identity really. So now if there is character identity, when you figure out a way to make off-class builds they will be even more meaningful and impressive than they currently are (and as I showed with the "super tank" example above, ascendancy classes add choice to the game that is beyond simple min / maxing and heavily favors certain playstyles and goals, meaning there will still never be one best build for everything).

I am hyped more than I have ever been at how much the meta is going to change due to Ascendancy classes.

So please, quit with these outlandish criticisms - you are saying that adding exponentially more choice to PoE is making it more like D3 because it ONLY added 19 classes instead of 133(each subclass working for all classes)? One of the reasons Diablo 3 sucks is because choices don't matter. You can quickly change at the drop of a hat and don't need to make any real decisions which are the real source of character identity

i'll try and be succinct because yea ...
- you are arguing how 2 is better than 3 for choices because it is less. it makes no sense because any choice from 2 is also included in 3; ANY choice, 1, 2, 2.3, ... etc, is included in 3. so, all Deadeye +1 chain builds you could do with 19 classes you'll be able to do with 133. 133 will not restrict your build options but what it will do, is make snowflakes feels less special and that is exactly what hurts you. what you fail to see here is that if the snowflake build ends up being the meta, everyone will play it and that the chance for a snowflake build to exist, increases with options. so 133, numerically and mathematically, will give better odds for snowflakes to exist.
- you're arguing from a different context. when you say "deep itemization and customization", i see a meta, a single(sometime different) meta time and time again. if you want to be competitive you play the meta. meta could be a defense skill combination or offense skill combination that is always superior to everything within a given patch/balance change. after ascendancy, the meta, besides being a combinations of skills, will always include an ascendancy. two hundred and then some skills will be paired up/matched with maybe 10 powerful ascendancies(i'd guess 5 at most). gl finding snowflakes.

the meta will change but new meta doesn't mean better meta so just wait and see. when i'll be right, you'll become me but i'll no longer care. i'll be moving on.
Last edited by kreca73 on Nov 26, 2015, 3:34:41 AM
Anyone knows if u can choose any ascendancy from any class or its specific and class-limited only?
IGN: WL_ShadowofGoD
I dont like traaaapsss :(( I want dark big dungeons full of skeletons and a lot of loot!!! Tons of loot!! :))))
Playing marauder @ Hardcore leagues

"
Anyone knows if u can choose any ascendancy from any class or its specific and class-limited only?

They are class limited, each class has 3 to itself except Scion which has one.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info