Path of Exile: Ascendancy (News Coverage)

basic math men
-unlocked: 19 ascension options to each of the 7 chars = 133 possibilities based on ascensions alone
-locked: 3 ascension options to 6 chars + 1 to scion = 19 possibilities based on ascensions alone

there's not even a comparison; not fkin even ...
whats with everyone complaining about ascendance? we dont have full details but looks like a great idea. having locks seems a great idea as well, otherwise it would be a little piñata with everyone having same builds as now just getting a few extra %.
locked may mean having to rethink some builds and isnt that what this game is about? :)

and any new end game content is welcome, was never too happy with maps & Atziri doesnt do it for me.
have finally gotten used to the lab... I dont hate it anymore.:)
time to fap.. oh but wait that node on "inquisitor" for templars..celestial punishment wtf? crits ignore resistance, non crits penetrate 10%? there must be a massive fkn nerf coming to the tree because that is beyond broken o.O
Last edited by JusJev on Nov 22, 2015, 10:04:28 PM
"
SerahWint wrote:

Yea, me and some buddies of mine have been going over all the material we have so far.
And I sort of agree with you, that its too early to call doom and gloom over all this.
I'm really skeptical, I will say that much.

As for pointing out the flaws we have already with not many builds being endgame viable in any practical sense.. Yea, thats a real problem. And GGG seem very reluctant/clueless as to how to handle that particular problem. Sadly :/
Not that its easy by any means. But it would add a lot to the game if they managed to make a lot more builds viable. And thats with already existing content in the game.

Anyway, back on topic. In the end we will have to wait and see. The scion class might do something really interesting and alleviate some of my worries.

Been a pleasure talking with you. Most I've been trying to reason with so far have not been very receptive, and some downright rude.

Agreed. Let's wait and we'll see. Cheers!
"
kreca74 wrote:
basic math men
-unlocked: 19 ascension options to each of the 7 chars = 133 possibilities based on ascensions alone
-locked: 3 ascension options to 6 chars + 1 to scion = 19 possibilities based on ascensions alone

Diablo 3 has billions of possible skill combinations/builds. Does that make it any better? No, because 90% of those combinations has no good synergies. And if you really care about ability to clear content, you'll care about the synergies as well.
And if people are already so concerned about balancing content around 19 classes, image what a nightmare this could be if every class could choose any ascendance class.

I would like to use Leap Slam with my bow ranger, but I can't. On the other hand I have other means for mobility so I'm fine, and to honest, most of you are fine with that as well.
This could be a one of examples were limitation actually brings more creativity.
Another one could by Fortify. People also complained that it's limiting, but really is completely different. There are non melee characters that combine gem with Wriling Blades or whatever to receive the benefit of Fortify.

So you see, "limitation" actually makes you look for similar alternatives, instead of going for the "obvious" choice, which is what makes it creative, otherwise you'll end up with multiple people using same things because it's "better" option when compared to others.
Last edited by laminarija on Nov 23, 2015, 1:58:59 AM
"
laminarija wrote:
"
kreca74 wrote:
basic math men

Diablo 3 has billions of possible skill combinations/builds. Does that make it any better? No, because 90% of those combinations has no good synergies. And if you really care about ability to clear content, you'll care about the synergies as well.
And if people are already so concerned about balancing content around 19 classes, image what a nightmare this could be if every class could choose any ascendance class.

I would like to use Leap Slam with my bow ranger, but I can't. On the other hand I have other means for mobility so I'm fine, and to honest, most of you are fine with that as well.
This could be a one of examples were limitation actually brings more creativity.
Another one could by Fortify. People also complained that it's limiting, but really is completely different. There are non melee characters that combine gem with Wriling Blades or whatever to receive the benefit of Fortify.

So you see, "limitation" actually makes you look for similar alternatives, instead of going for the "obvious" choice, which is what makes it creative, otherwise you'll end up with multiple people using same things because it's "better" option when compared to others.

those are different, tangent points each with their own validity but the math still stands, 133 > 19. i don't know why Zeno wasn't getting it in the podcast.
also, i can make the same argument you're making now about those 133 would be combinations, apply it to those 19 classes and i'll get the same outcome - "you'll end up with multiple people using same things because it's "better" option when compared to others".
(your leap slam argument is not valid since leap slam = movement skill and you have a movement skill. perma fortify has no equivalent for which, for ex)
Last edited by kreca74 on Nov 23, 2015, 3:09:45 AM
"
kreca74 wrote:
those are different, tangent points each with their own validity but the math still stands, 133 > 19. i don't know why Zeno wasn't getting it in the podcast.
also, i can make the same argument you're making now about those 133 would be combinations, apply it to those 19 classes and i'll get the same outcome - "you'll end up with multiple people using same things because it's "better" option when compared to others".
(your leap slam argument is not valid since leap slam = movement skill and you have a movement skill. perma fortify has no equivalent for which, for ex)

Math tends to be misleading sometimes.

I made this argument before, I'll try to make it again. If you already prefer Templar over Witch for a life based caster build, how likely you're to continue creating same life based caster Templar with the "best" ascendancy class? The answer will be "very likely". Why? Because you'll retain same benefits from your initial choice.
If you have limited access to ascendancies you'll going to think twice before you decide if you the advantage of Templar starting nodes is worth giving up Witch ascendancies. Is it possible that it'll turn the wheel around and you'll now always prefer Witch over Templar for a life based caster build? It is possible, but IMHO it's far less likely when compared to what you're suggesting.

Why my Leap Slam argument is not valid? Because it's not a build? Because as a ranger I have other options? If you're arguing that, then you just proved my point.
"
laminarija wrote:
"
kreca74 wrote:

Math tends to be misleading sometimes.

I made this argument before, I'll try to make it again. If you already prefer Templar over Witch for a life based caster build, how likely you're to continue creating same life based caster Templar with the "best" ascendancy class? The answer will be "very likely". Why? Because you'll retain same benefits from your initial choice.
If you have limited access to ascendancies you'll going to think twice before you decide if you the advantage of Templar starting nodes is worth giving up Witch ascendancies. Is it possible that it'll turn the wheel around and you'll now always prefer Witch over Templar for a life based caster build? It is possible, but IMHO it's far less likely when compared to what you're suggesting.

Why my Leap Slam argument is not valid? Because it's not a build? Because as a ranger I have other options? If you're arguing that, then you just proved my point.

just say you like class limitations/class identities and the argument is done. if it is what you like, fine.
numerically, optionally, there are less chances you'll be forced to choose a specific class when you have 133 base starting combinations. you can choose the class aesthetically and still be competitive.

you can always make a ranger leap slam build. what you can not do is make a bow leap slam build. that is skill limiting and not class limiting.
you're literally arguing here for class limiting and that is the exact opposite of what PoE was about since the beginning; but as i said, if you like that, then there's no argument here - you just like it that way.
forcing people to play a class because of the benefits that specific class gets, is unprecedented in PoE. when you were choosing marauder over duelist for cyclone(for ex.), it was because the talent points you had access to on the marauder side, were better/more efficient. you chose the class based on talent point efficiency but in ascendancy, you'll choose the class because ... of the class.
Last edited by kreca73 on Nov 23, 2015, 4:10:41 AM
Hello i don't usualy do this but , laminarija it's boring to read you... i feel like your mind is closed to other opinions .. and if you want to debat with someone you can also PM :)
The question is not about the minmax, it's about the choice. If some people take 1 class to minmax , let them , but i know other people who just want to try different things. A lot of people will try the same build few time but with different class. And it is also a part of the game to try to make a build work with something not intended or just be able to play a weak skill in end game content. Of course if you let any char chose any class , it would be to OP , but the content can still be balanced.

Edit: And how can you compare POE and D3 ... D3 billions of possibilities ? Joke , people are just playing the best set of her class and why ? bacause they have to minmax to be able to reach hight rift lvl. It's just an other game at all. Bye
Last edited by Soul22 on Nov 23, 2015, 4:13:34 AM
"
Soul22 wrote:
Hello i don't usualy do this but , laminarija it's boring to read you... i feel like your mind is closed to other opinions .. and if you want to debat with someone you can also PM :)
The question is not about the minmax, it's about the choice. If some people take 1 class to minmax , let them , but i know other people who just want to try different things. A lot of people will try the same build few time but with different class. And it is also a part of the game to try to make a build work with something not intended or just be able to play a weak skill in end game content. Of course if you let any char chose any class , it would be to OP , but the content can still be balanced.

It's quite the opposite. I never throw a comment without first reading what you have to say, and I always think about it.
I agree that if you only think about the "choice", it provides less flexibility or in some cases (which we yet to find out) less builds. But does that prevent you from trying out same build with different classes? Unless ascendancy class is the sole reason which makes your build work, and not just act as a support, you will still be able have all the same possibilities. I really doubt that ascendancy class by it self will create that many build opportunities, but neither me, nor you can prove/disprove that yet. Wouldn't you agree?
And balancing stuff is not that easy as you're trying make it. How many patches were required to improve melee survivability? Why most commonly used skill in Races is Flame Totem? Because balancing is a bitch (pardon my French).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info