[2.0] The Burning Wind - A unique bow-wielding self-ignite CoC Discharger

UPDATE: I made a new similar build - less unique than this one, but stronger & faster! If you are looking for more dps than this build can provide, this is for you:
The "classic" Bow Discharger!
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1481221

Welcome to my guide to the Burning Wind - A bow using self-ignite CoC Discharger!

This is my first build guide, so i'd be grateful for any constructive criticism. (Also i am not a native speaker, feel free to point out spelling mistakes etc.)

Short Video - Voll kill
https://vid.me/7D1k

---------------------------Introduction & Disclaimer---------------------------------------
Spoiler

I used to play a CoC Windripper build before The Awakening and recently i decided to try something new.
For a long time i wanted to make a self-ignite build using the known combo of Scold's bridle, Cloak of Flame and Mokou's Embrace. (A pair of Mokou's will increase your attack speed by 40% while ignited!)
Since Scold's grants spell damage but punishes you for high mana costs and also reduces your cast speed, it makes sense to use it in a CoC build - this way you can use high level spells without having to pay their mana cost or worry about cast speed.
After testing various spell and attack combinations, i noticed that Discharge can actually work quite well with Split Arrow-Chain, the only problem was to get enough charges without being able to use Voll's Protector. The solution: Frenzy!
Frenzy is the only attack i could find that reliably generates charges and, linked to GMP-Chain, it provides the crits needed for a CoC setup. In conjunction with Power Charge on Crit, a Voll's Devotion Amulet and a couple of other mechanisms, we get enough charges to make Discharge the only aoe spell we need for map clearing. When single target dps is required, we have a second CoC setup and in addition Vaal molten shell at our disposal. To round things off we use two Cwdt setups for automated cursing and utility/defensive spells, making use of the damage taken from Scold's Bridle. A fun and - as far as i know - unique build!

Disclaimer: What this build is and what it is not
This build is not:
-cheap
-a cookie cutter dps uber atziri build
This build is:
-in my humble opinion quite unique and fun - consider it a proof of concept:)

-----------------------------------How it works---------------------------------------

>Gear
Spoiler

We use Scold's Bridle, Cloak of Flame and two Mokou's Embrace rings. This setup means that only a couple of skill uses/attacks will ignite us reliably and we get 40% increased attack speed.
The Cast on Crit bow of choice is a legacy Windripper- the crit and attack speed are just too good. (As an alternative, a non-legacy WIndripper or a Quill Rain might work, but i had no opportunity to test this yet.) Voll's Devotion recycles our power charges into free endurance charges upon Discharge, so it's an obvious best in slot.
For Gloves we go with Atziri's Acuity - they have everything we want and then some: Crit, Intelligence (we need 159 int because of our spells) and life.
Since the gear mentioned so far is pretty much required, the remaining slots will have to be rare pieces with as much life and resists as possible (mainly lightning resistance, because our uniques already provide around 100% fire and cold res).

Boots:
Life, movespeed, resists

Belt
Leather belt with explicit life mod and resists (Alternatively: Doryani's invitation - cold variant, trading life for some leech)

Quiver
Spike-Point arrow quiver with explicit crit mod, high accuracy, life, resist. Please Note that the accuracy mod is important - to be able to crit, you first have to be able to hit...

>Current Gear
Spoiler

Disregard the Sockets/Gems, I recommend the setups given in the Skills and Gems section.

>Stats with Current Gear, lvl 95
Spoiler

>212 Int, 354 Str, 300 dex
>5'741 Life
>264 Energy Shield

Offense(ignited, with Ice Golem lvl 3 & Blood Rage lvl 20 - without any charges)

>Frenzy chance to hit: 91%
>Frenzy attacks per second: 3.58
>Frenzy crit chance: 78.3%
>Discharge crit chance: 39.06%

Defense (without any charges)
>Armour: 1618
>Evasion: 799
>Life Regen/sec: 378.9
>Resistances: 76-75-75

>Skills and Gems

AOE
Spoiler

6L Frenzy-Greater Multiple Projectiles-Chain-Cast on Critical Strike-Discharge-Power Charge on Crit
This is our Discharge setup. Frenzy and PCoC grant up to two charges per attack, at roughly 3.5-4 attacks per second. On top of this, we have a chance to gain an endurance charge on crit (see passive tree section).
When Discharge triggers, we gain endurance charges proportional to the number of power charges consumed via Voll's devotion and have another chance to get power charges if Dischage crits. Upon kill, we can gain Frenzy charges from Blood Rage and Power Charges from Assassin's Mark. In my experience, all of this adds up to Discharges with around 5 charges several times per second when clearing packs.

Single Target
Spoiler

6L Barrage-GMP-CoC-Increased Critical Strikes or Concentrated Effect-Glacial Cascade-Flame Surge
You could use other spells than the ones i mentiond and - as i am sure you know - since the removal of shotgunning, single target damage can be a problem for some CoC builds. This is why we support our single target damage with Vaal Molten Shell in the following 4-Link

4L Vaal Molten Shell - Fire Penetration - increased Duration- Empower or 2nd Vaal Molten Shell
I took this setup from Noperative's Chain Blaster Build, all credits go to him:) Vaal Molten Shell has around 17 seconds uptime with a 20/20 Increased Duration support and triggers each time we take damage, which, because of Scold's, means each time we attack. 1735-2602 fire damage at level 20 for each attack, as well as the ignite we need for Flame Surge's "More" multiplier ...enough said!

Utility
Spoiler

4L Cwdt (lvl 1)- Assassin's Mark (lvl 5, q20 if possible)- Ice Golem (lvl 3) - Increased Area of Effect (lvl20/q20)
This is our First utility 4L; Scolds will trigger it roughly every 3 seconds if we keep attacking with frenzy, so everything close to us will be cursed and we get 100% ice golem uptime. Of course it is possible to use other curses such as poacher's/warlord's mark, Elemental weakness or Temp Chains, but Assassin's mark is probably the best option because it not only proivdes charges and life gain, but also crit chance and damage.

4L or 3+1L a second utility setup: Cwdt (lvl 20)- Immortal Call(lvl 20/q20) - Increased (20/20) Duration || Blood rage
Alternatively, there are other options for a second low lvl cwdt, f.e. defensive setups like GMP-Artic Breath - or you can use these links for a warcry, Enduring cry being the obvious choice.

>Passive Tree
Spoiler

Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYBAdwEswW1CLELYQxfDjwPqxQgFHEVIBa_GbQaOBynI_YlvCaVKgstgzB8Nj031DnUPAU__EFyRXxHfk2SUEdRR1OlVUtZ818_YeJlTWebaFhoZWjybIxtbG_ycFJw1XKpdqx343lofXV_K4IHhNmJ04nYjAuMNo19jb-QVZJ9l5eYb52qoJ-iAKOKqW6sqq4-r2y0OLVIuXy8mr02vqfAZsEExPbGrslnz37TfteW2XzbT9wj37_gw-RR5Rnlz-dU53ToZujW6hjssO0_7UTuDu8O73rvfPAf893z6vaj9zL46_v1_ro=

In the passive tree we mainly go for life, life regen, critical strike chance, accuracy and attack speed. Blood magic increases our life and hence our regen by a lot while we don't have to worry about mana anymore, so for a fast attacking build which wants to outregen the effect of Scold's Bridle, it's an easy decision to go for BM. In the socket next to Resolute Technique, we use the Lioneye's Fall unique jewel to transform both the Smashing Strikes and Disembowling clusters into sweet bow & crit nodes. Here we also get our last source of charges - Smashing strike's 10% chance to gain an endurance charge on crit is a great addition to the other means of charge generation. It is perfectly possible (and perhaps even better) to use a Marauder, Templar, Ranger or Duelist to make this kind of tree - I made a Shadow tree simply because i had a high level shadows available to experiment with and was too lazy to level another class:)
It should be obvious how it transposes into different classes: You simply start out taking life (ranger/marauder), attack speed & life (duelist) or elemental & spell damage (templar) until you connect to the tree given here.

>Bandits
Spoiler

Help Oak-Kill all-Help Alira or (only reasonable if you are running Blood Rage)Help Oak-Kill all-Help Kraityn

>Planned
Spoiler

>Optimised passive tree, maybe picking up Acro or 2-3 jewel slots.
>Non-self-ignite version of the build with Voll's Protector.

I'd be glad to hear about your improvement suggestions as this build is only two days old at this point. Thanks for reading!

My 2.3 Build Guides:
Oro's Crit Flicker Assassin: view-thread/1691639
Sire of Ignites Elementalist: view-thread/1703646
Low Life CocSpray Occultist: view-thread/1711959
Last edited by EvilChomsky on Nov 19, 2015, 9:38:25 AM
Seems like the potential is there, but why not put on volls protector, drop pcoc, and put on some nice diamond rings? Voll's protector is like an order of magnitude better than pcoc for CoC-discharge.

Also, show us the videos. Preferably a map like Wasteland where you can demonstrate clearspeed, tankiness and single target.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Last edited by MatrixFactor on Nov 17, 2015, 12:32:52 AM
Thanks for the comment!
Yeah i hope my pc can handle the video recording plus discharge combo...
As for Voll's Protector: If you look at the "Planned" section, i actually intend to try that too. The present build however was about making use of the self-ignite combo (for which I need Cloak of Flame afaik), and in a way also about trying to see how well it would work exactly without Voll's Protector. As far as this build is concerned, i am more focused on uniqueness than on pure dps-efficiency... although it's actually not looking bad so far.
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Added a short dried lake video made with Fraps, it wouldn't let me record more than 30 secs and i had to do it at the frame rate of a powerpoint presentation... sorry, it's all i can do for now!

[EDIT:] Managed to take a better video and replaced the old one - no high level map yet, but at least you'll get a short impression of the build.
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Last edited by EvilChomsky on Nov 17, 2015, 6:02:50 AM
Interesting~! <3 ^^
Use Open Broadcaster Software to record videos. It's also used to stream, but it records well too.

A bow discharger is unique enough IMO. I feel like the self-ignite isn't doing enough to be worth it.

There you go: https://vid.me/g0FR

Son of Burning Wind - CoC bow discharger, this time with Voll's Protector, Rat's Nest, and Diamond Rings. The other gear is still the same. Hope you like it! (Separate build guide will follow.)
My 2.3 Build Guides:
"
EvilChomsky wrote:
There you go: https://vid.me/g0FR

Son of Burning Wind - CoC bow discharger, this time with Voll's Protector, Rat's Nest, and Diamond Rings. The other gear is still the same. Hope you like it! (Separate build guide will follow.)

Looks good. Looking forward to the post (could you PM me link) and more videos.

Edit: just saw your molten shell and single target setup.

VMS works with spell echo, so that's pretty much mandatory. You could even consider putting it in a 6L and using a coc-corrupted helm or gloves. Probably not worth it though.

For single target I still think discharge will beat anything else as long as you're using protector. For example barrage-gmp-coc-discharge-freezing pulse-life leech should be really solid.

Your tree is also cool. I don't think smashing strikes (70% crit chance) is worth it for 5 points. What about starting as scion so you don't have to go through duelist?

Last edited by MatrixFactor on Nov 17, 2015, 5:32:27 PM
Just a couple of quick points:

-Smashing strikes alone probably wouldn't be worth it, but it seems like you're forgetting about the Disembowling nodes. Since a Discharger can't really use King of the Hill due to its Knockback, those two clusters more than replace it. As a nice extra, Smashing Strikes is global Crit.

-The Passive Tree was partly a result of me just having shadows available to toy with, as i mentioned in the guide - i don't doubt that other classes might work better.
For the Protector Variant i am using the following slight modification of the tree right now, but it's still work in progress:
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAdwEswW1CLEOPA-rFCAUcRUgFr8ZtBo4I_Yk_SW8JpUnLyoLLYMwfDY9N9Q51DrYPAU__EFyRXxHfk2SUUdVS1W1WfNfP2HiYqxlTWhYaGVo8myMbWxv8nBScql2rHfjeWh9dX8rggeCm4TZidOJ2IwLjDaNfY2_kFWSfZeXmG-aO52qns2f36CfogCjiqlurKq0OLVIuXy8mr02vqfAZsEEyWfPftIh037Xltl820_cI9-_4MPlGeXP51TndOhm6NbqGOw47LDtP-1E7g7vDu9673zwH_JB893z6vaj9zL46_v1_ro=

My 2.3 Build Guides:
Well come on man hurry up and post the voll's version! I can't wait to see it :)

BTW I think my coc discharge calculator can be used for this build as well. You need to modify "chance to hit" "base weapon crit chance" and "hits per attack" (8 for GMP barrage and 10? for frenzy gmp chain)

I didn't forget about disembowling, I just thought 5 points wasn't good for 70% crit. But since it's global crit, it may be worth it, the calculator can answer that question. Also you could get Heartseeker, the 16% bow crit nodes at lethality, and True Strike (by changing pathing) if you got rid of it. Another option is to use inc crit strikes gem since it double dips, and skip disembowling entirely.

I also wonder about using EE. Windripper kind of ruins it but it still may be worth it if you put ice nova or freezing pulse before discharge.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info