[2.0] EvilChomsky's "classic" Bow Discharger with video- 6k+ hp, good clearspeed, Atziri down

Welcome to my second build guide:)

This build is the offspring of a more exotic build, the "Burning Wind" self-ignite bow Discharger. When i made that self-ignite build, i wanted to make a build as unique as possible. But it was obvious that it could be pushed further in terms of efficiency and damage by giving up some of its uniqueness in favour of tried and tested CoC Discharge gear.

My thanks go to MatrixFactor and Kiliroy for their comments and advice.

So let me present to you: The "classic" Bow Discharger, Son of Burning Wind!

Introduction

Like the "Burning Wind" self-ignite Discharger (see https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1480525), this is a bow-wielding Discharger using a CoC Discharge setup with a chaining bow skill for good aoe clear speed. But this time we use classic CoC Discharge gear, such as Voll's Protector and forgo the self-ignite items for more crit & life. Hence this is a less exotic, but much more efficient build.

Video clearing a lvl 79 Shipyard. Please note that the video was made with the old tree (see Passive tree section in this guide) and only 4 power charges! Excuse the terrible quality, i am working on improving it. Double Boss Fight at 4:05 min.
Map mods: 97% extra damage as lightning, double boss, boss has 35% inc. damage & 30% cast speed, vulnerability
https://vid.me/z6EU

Newer Video, Jungle Valley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PICL3ycKtps

Current Stats
Spoiler
>Life: 6'087 (with very mediocre Rings and belt - see Gear section)
>Energy Shield: 161

> Max Power Charges 5
> Max Endurance Charges 4
> Max Frenzy Charges 3

AOE Discharge CoC Attack
:
Split Arrow - Chain
Attacks per second: 4.17 (with Blood Rage)
Chance to hit: 93%
SA Crit chance: 83.5% (without charges, with lvl 3 Ice Golem)
Discharge increased Aoe: 70%
Discharge crit chance: 49% (without charges, with lvl 3 Ice Golem)

Single Target Discharge & Spell CoC Attack
Barrage - GMP
Attacks per Second: 3.28
Chance to hit: 93%
Barrage Crit Chance: 83.2% (without charges, with lvl 3 Ice Golem)
Discharge crit Chance: 48.79% (without charges, with lvl 3 Ice Golem)

Gear
Spoiler

Weapon

The best CoC bow is a legacy Windripper, providing us with up to 10% weapon crit and high attack speed.

Weapon Alternatives
-Quill Rain: It basically trades crit for attack speed. You attack roughly twice as fast, but crit only half as often. Doesn't feel as good as Windripper (not to mention the quantity and rarity mods on Windripper), but i suppose it works ok.
-Non-legacy Windripper (not yet tested)
-Rare bow with high weapon crit (>9%) and attack speed.(not yet tested)

Body Armor

Voll's Protector, as our main source of charges, is a must in the given setup.

If you are looking for a similar build without Voll's Protector, check out the self-ignite Discharger mentioned at the beginning of the guide.

Gloves

I strongly suggest Acuitys. They have everything we are looking for: Life, crit, int (which we need in order to use high level spells) and instant leech.

Glove Alternatives
-Maligaro's Virtuosity
can work, but it costs us quite some life and means that we have to get some int from rings and passives. Last but not least we lose the Instant leech (going vaal pact and dropping life regen would require a different passive tree.) On the plus side they increase damage.
-Rare Gloves
with life & attack speed. I would only consider this option in the case of f.e. a pair of Ele Weakness on hit corrupted gloves.

Helmet

Rat's Nest is just the best CoC headgear out there; the global crit and attack speed increases are huge. The movespeed as well as the item rarity bonus are nice extras.

Helmet Alternatives
-Devoto's Devotion
Not as good as Rat's nest - similar in terms of attack & movement speed, but just less crit. Not much on the plus side.
-Starkonja's Head
maybe an option if you want to make the build tankier, trading 50% crit and 5% attack speed for up to 100 life.

Belt

Leather Belt with as much life & resistances as you can get.

Belt Alternatives
-Doryani's Invitation (lightning or fire variant)
You give up a lot of life for some damage and leech. Also this puts more pressure on your rings to provide all the needed resistances - not worth it in my opinion.

Boots

Rare boots with the usual stuff; life, movement speed & resistances. If your Rings and belt provide enough resistances, you may be able to go for Atziri's Steps instead.

Amulet

Charge recycling, life, resistance and even some welcome int - nothing else comes even close.

Rings

The rings shown here are by no means ideal, but they have roughly what you are looking for (In order of importance): Life, resistances, accuracy & attack speed on a pair of diamond rings. If you can get some % increased lightning or fire damage on top of that, consider it a nice extra.

Quiver

A Spike-Point Arrow Quiver with: Life, resistance, accuracy, crit explicit. Here we essentially plug the remaining holes in terms of life, accuracy and resistances. It shouldn't be too hard to get such a quiver, so no alternatives are given.

Corrupt quiver implicits are worth mentioning though: Both additional arrow and life leech (fire or lightning) can be interesting - we have enough crit from other gear and the passive tree to make these a viable option, especially if the quiver comes with an explicit crit mod.

"Budget" Gear Variant
Spoiler

I don't want to make false claims: Mainly because of Voll's Devotion this is still going to be expensive for most players. (Voll's Devotion costs about 30ex or a ton of chance orbs in standard sc...;))
This being said, we can save quite a few ex by replacing Acuitys, Windripper & Rat's Nest by Maligaro's Virtuousity, Quill Rain & Starkonja's Head. It is possible to use 5-Links, but for high level mapping you will still want 6-Links.

Skills & Gems
(also check the links in the Gear section to see the gems)
Spoiler

AOE Setup 6L
Split Arrow - Chain - Faster Attacks - CoC - Discharge - Increased Area of Effect

This is used for most packs and provides fast clear speed as well as a relaxed playstile - you hardly have to aim and will still get a good number of crits from each skill use. When you are facing extremely tanky mobs and need more damage, switch Aoe for Increased Critical Strikes. It's my preferred setup, but by no means the only one:
Alternatively you can use Barrage - GMP - Faster Attacks - CoC -Discharge -Increased AoE/Inc Crit Strikes.
This works better for smaller packs but requires more aiming. Since we already have a Barrage single target setup (see below), this is hardly necessary. Either way, it's easy to test both setups and see what you like best, as they require the same socket colours.
Lastly if you want life leech, then drop the Faster Attacks support in either setup.

Single Target Setup 6L
Barrage - GMP - CoC - Life Leech - Discharge - Glacial Cascade
For the tougher close range fights, we want life leech. Glacial Cascade can be replaced by other non projectile-based spells such as Flame Surge. On paper Flame Surge should do more damage against ignited enemies (the ignite is provided by Discharge), but in my experinece Glacial Cascade works at least as well. It's also nice to have a spell that does some phys damage for the occasional tough ele-reflect rare monster.
I am still testing various options for the last gem slot, Increased critical damage or Increased Critical Strikes are other possibilites.
I am curious about your suggestions for other single target setups!

Defense & Utility

4L ->Defense:Cast when damage taken (lvl 20) - Immortal Call (lvl 20/q20) - Increased Duration (20/20)- Vaal Haste (lvl 20)

Since we always have endurance charges available, this is a no brainer. Vaal Haste gets the increased duration from the support, but will still be used manually (Cwdt doesn't trigger Vaal Skills)

4L ->Defense: Molten Shell - Increased Duration - Empower - Vaal Molten Shell or Enduring Cry
These Skills provide a lot of phys mitigation when needed, but are not strictly necessary.

4L or 3L +1L ->Utility: Cwdt (lvl 1) - Golem (level requirement <= 38, i suggest Ice Golem )- Curse (level requirement <= 38, i suggest Warlords Mark)- Blood Rage (20/20)

Our build can almost outregen blood rage, so there is no reason not to use it. Both the attack speed and the frenzy charge generation fit us perfectly.
A Golem and an automated curse round our build off. Possible Curses are: Elemental Weakness, Assassin's Mark (especially for the Quill Rain users), Warlord's Mark.

Current Passive tree at level 95

Spoiler

In the passive tree we mainly go for life, life regen, critical strike chance, accuracy and attack speed. Blood magic increases our life and hence our regen by a lot while we don't have to worry about mana anymore, so for a fast attacking build it's an easy decision to go for BM. In the socket next to Resolute Technique, we use the Lioneye's Fall unique jewel to transform both the Smashing Strikes and Disembowling clusters into sweet bow & crit nodes. Here we also get our last source of charges - Smashing strike's 10% chance to gain an endurance charge on crit is a great addition to the other means of charge generation. It is perfectly possible (and perhaps even better) to use a Marauder, Templar, Ranger or Duelist to make this kind of tree - I made a Shadow tree simply because i had a high level shadows available to experiment with and was too lazy to level another class:)
It should be obvious how it transposes into different classes: You simply start out taking life (marauder), attack speed & life (duelist) or elemental & spell damage (templar) until you connect to the tree given here.

Current Tree

Old Tree

Draft for an alternate Scion Tree

Thanks for reading! I'd be glad to read your comments and reply to questions!
My 2.3 Build Guides:
Oro's Crit Flicker Assassin: view-thread/1691639
Sire of Ignites Elementalist: view-thread/1703646
Low Life CocSpray Occultist: view-thread/1711959
Last edited by EvilChomsky on Nov 19, 2015, 6:19:06 PM
Sick build bro! Might try your build out :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info