High latency!

Hello GGG,
I have like 3 days already high latency over 250+ on all EU servers and I'm from (Europe).
My internet works fine there is no problem from my side at all
Here is my results from speedtest - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4834789540
Here is my results from WinMTR - http://pastebin.com/EUpiZDNM
I scanned my PC from viruses and there was no virus
I have updated all drivers
I restarted my internet cable
I did everything and it won't help so it's not my fault at all
I even checked in other multiplayer games like CS GO and my latency there is 5 it can't be possible that one multiplayer game works fine and other don't
Most of the people would be too dumb to do all this, but I'm not and I did what I can.
So GGG please for god sake finally do something, it's been 4 days and I'm unable to play Poe because of high latency.
P.S. Here is what I see each time I check latency on servers - http://imgur.com/gfbsXnx
You can see that packet loss and latency spikes happen when you reach the telia.net hops. This is a bit of a known issue. Lotsa people reporting it.

If you aren't seeing it in other games, it likely means that the routing you are taking in those other games are avoiding these hops. That and PoE still brings connection problems to the surface like no other game.

If you could run WinMTR to other locations to confirm that the packet loss isn't happening when your routes don't take you through talia.net hops, that could be useful.

Unfortunately, this is something you'll have to contact your ISP about. It is beyond the reach of influence of GGG. Hopefully your ISP can alter their routing to avoid the troublesome hops for you.

If you do some searching around the web, this is a bit of an ongoing issue with telia.net. People from all over in different games are having trouble. You do see some packet loss before that, but I'm betting the known Telia.net issue is your largest concern.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
Your connection went down for a second, so there definitely is a problem from your side. How is your computer connected to the router/modem?

Comparing this game to other multiplayer games is like comparing the roads to the grocery store to the roads to the next town. It's not going to be the same route, because the servers are in different locations, even if they both use your driveway.

The real problem is somewhere along your route, though.

| ffm-b12-link.telia.net - 1 | 567 | 564 | 34 | 38 | 86 | 39 |
|xe-1-0-1.bbr01.xn01.fra01.networklayer.com - 1 | 575 | 574 | 220 | 221 | 255 | 221 |

I have no idea why Telia is sending you through this to get to the Softlayer CDN. It seems like the Washington D.C. gateway is fine, so I wonder how the route differs. Can you do an MTR on the wdc.login.pathofexile.com please?

I think if you get a VPN you could avoid a lot of the congestion in Europe, and Telia's confounding routing.
"
ionface wrote:
Your connection went down for a second, so there definitely is a problem from your side. How is your computer connected to the router/modem?

I was a bit concerned about that early packet loss and latency spike as well, but the immediate hop after it reverts to no packet loss and latencies went down, so I assumed it was early stage traffic mitigation.

That was my thinking at least.

There is packet loss and latency issues happening at some point along the way because it exists at the end.

I'd hate to assume, but things really seem to turn to crap on the 11th hop:

|ffm-bb1-link.telia.net - 1 | 574 | 573 | 39 | 51 | 190 | 39 |

Things never seem to recover after that point, and that is in the heart of the telia routing.
We know what things are like there.

Hope the OP shows us some some alternate results to compare. :)

The 517 and the number of lost packets (1 or 2) tells me it the packet loss is probably from a small timeout, like from split-second interference. I'm guessing this somehow got through that disconnection:
| mx480-vl1000.telenet.lv - 0 | 578 | 578 | 0 | 1 | 27 | 0 |
but the surrounding hops didn't get packets through the window(s). Or it couldn't reconstruct the packets through corruption?

Why would there be QoS dropping at the router and local office if there wasn't a problem? That's the thing.

I know it's not a big deal, but split-second disconnects could mean death in HC.
Last edited by ionface on Nov 16, 2015, 12:46:44 PM
"
ionface wrote:

Comparing this game to other multiplayer games is like comparing the roads to the grocery store to the roads to the next town. It's not going to be the same route, because the servers are in different locations, even if they both use your driveway.

The real problem is somewhere along your route, though.

| ffm-b12-link.telia.net - 1 | 567 | 564 | 34 | 38 | 86 | 39 |
|xe-1-0-1.bbr01.xn01.fra01.networklayer.com - 1 | 575 | 574 | 220 | 221 | 255 | 221 |

I have no idea why Telia is sending you through this to get to the Softlayer CDN. It seems like the Washington D.C. gateway is fine, so I wonder how the route differs. Can you do an MTR on the wdc.login.pathofexile.com please?

I think if you get a VPN you could avoid a lot of the congestion in Europe, and Telia's confounding routing.

So I did MTR on wdc.login.pathofexile.com like you asked here is results - http://pastebin.com/MUQvxwpE
So it's using Level 3 peer instead of Telia... Yep, you can probably use a VPN to solve your latency issue.

I see a tiny spike on the router comparable to normal wifi latency, but it's far from the average ping of <1ms, what's connecting the PC to the router?
"
ionface wrote:
I know it's not a big deal, but split-second disconnects could mean death in HC.

Very true. PoE is so network dependent, even small issues can be lethal.

If the VPN helps general latency, I'd listen to ionface and try and eliminate any spikes that show up locally as well.

Same, right after Patch 5b i think, well about 3 days ago. Right after patch Ping went from 30 to 220 EU servers (UK, Amsterdam), i have access to 3 internet connections, other 2 have the usual ping, but my main one fiber, ping went from 30 to 220 right after update, and with other games it`s still fine
The problem in this instance seems to have been local problems combined with problems with the routing of the ISP.

It is possible your issues are game or patch related, but I'd suggest creating a fresh thread of your own detailing the specifics of your situation.

Please remember to post as much detail as possible including WinMTR results and folks around here will be happy to take a look.

Cheers Puku371!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info