What's coming in 0.9.5?

"
masteralbert wrote:

^ Will we get a respec?

Probably.

"
ardikus wrote:
Any word on scaling the way gems level so they will not hit a wall when the character gets too high level? Perhaps base exp from gem req. level rather than character level?

Yes, that's in 0.9.5 also.

"
MindBullets wrote:
There are still way to many low lvl items droping in Ruthless/mercilles.

That's why we're changing it in 0.9.5 as mentioned in the original post.

"
MindBullets wrote:
Also Chris:
Making the game easy wont keep the population up and going, but quite opositive. Mob's and game dificutly atm is a joke. I'm against easy mode.

I agree. We don't want to make it easy, but we are fixing problems that we find. We would rather make it hard in more interesting ways.

"
Darkfyre wrote:
"
konfeta wrote:
"
We've revamped how flasks affect gameplay in terms of the amounts/speed they heal and how quickly they recover. This is a pretty major change that will affect most existing characters. We're still testing this one and making changes, so I can't go into more information on it yet.

High hopes for dis change. High hopes.

ya, me as well. but they don't say whether they've reduced the speeds or increased the speeds. could get even worse than it is now lol

We've reduced them (while increasing the amount they heal in total). Is that the direction you wanted?
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
"
MindBullets wrote:
There are still way to many low lvl items droping in Ruthless/mercilles.

Also Chris:

Making the game easy wont keep the population up and going, but quite opositive. Mob's and game dificutly atm is a joke.

I'm against easy mode.

Seriusly think about it and where the game is going.

I do not agree with this. It is highly build dependent. I've had to abanadon characters (in various patches of the game) because they simply couldn't effectively progress at a rate of speed that was "fun".
Also Chris:

Making the game easy wont keep the population up and going, but quite opositive. Mob's and game dificutly atm is a joke.

I'm against easy mode.

Seriusly think about it and where the game is going.[/quote]

I do not agree with this. It is highly build dependent. I've had to abanadon characters (in various patches of the game) because they simply couldn't effectively progress at a rate of speed that was "fun".[/quote]

I agree with this when the game actually comes out only people in the beta will have a good idea about building chrs. New players wont have much ideas unless other poeple have builds to read. most people will just play it on trying to find ways that they like to play it. I also have to remake chrs when getting to certain places or I have to mf certain boses over for better gear.

Also I would love to see a new currency item that can change a skill gem or support gem randomly. That will help solo chrs a bit more. It could be a rare one but that will still help.
rawrawr
I agree with direction of making Flasks less spammy and less powerful at directly countering the flow of damage, but this is a gameplay change that needs to be handled from multiple directions; and given an examination from multiple perspectives.

If I may:

http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2011-03-21/dev-diary-flasks

"
We soon found that players were encouraged to buy literally 100 potions of each type in town, becoming essentially invulnerable until they ran out of potions. It was common to see people develop the habit of tapping the healing key at periodic intervals, regardless of whether it was optimal to use a potion at that exact moment.

Health flasks are currently behaving exactly like potions of other ARPGs. The only difference is that you don't have to carry a bajillion of them at once.

The problem here is - Flasks aren't just a "heal" - they are damage mitigation. You don't use them to heal damage taken, you use their healing rate to negate incoming damage. This is a subtle distinction, but a very important one. This is why they are spammy. This is why they aren't really a resource to manage, they are a layer of defense to make you immortal while they last. And if you kill fast enough to restore their charges at the same rate you use them, the system collapses on itself and it becomes Infinite Pot Spam 2.0.

At no point while I play I feel like I am managing a resource system of "how much damage can I take before I have to back off and play carefully." I feel like I am managing a gear option (that is part of an array of other heals and damage mitigation systems, such as resists or life gain on hit) that says "can I mitigate enough damage to ignore being damaged?"

I think flask recovery needs to be defined by something other than your killing speed; it needs to be less of a "flow." And I feel that flasks shouldn't be something you just pop as soon as fighting starts simply because that is the OPTIMAL gameplay decision.

As long as you are optimizing two different rates (how much you can slow down incoming damage vs. how fast you are restoring flasks); you are working towards achieving an equilibrium that erases flasks as resource centric gameplay element and just folds them into your overall life leach mechanic.

Not that there is something *wrong* with a life leach mechanic as primary healing if that is the kind of game you want PoE to be, but potions are adding an unnecessary, tedious step into it. At this point, might as well make life leach/restoration per hit more common and central to healing and turn potions into pure buff potions.

Mana flasks suffer a similar problem, but that one is also borne by other factors such as too blurry lines of mana efficiency between single target and AoE spells, etc.
Last edited by konfeta on Dec 14, 2011, 2:52:30 PM
Obviously since 0.9.5 is going to alpha sometime next week. Any ETA on a more detailed changelist before the actual patch came live like when you did with 0.9.4? The info now is nice and something to look forward to, but I am curious to see what other changes await us.
Awesome, thanks for the update!
“If freedom of [censored] is taken away, then [censored] and [censored] we may be led, like [censored] to the [censored].” - George Washington
All of those changes, additions and fixes looks great, but i have one question about those respec points. I am not sure if i got this right, but i think its a bit weird to give respec points as quest rewards, because well, there will be quite big amount of people for which this won't be reward. Not everyone needs or wants to do respec. So giving those as quest rewards seems very very strange to me.
Last edited by Molda on Dec 14, 2011, 4:06:50 PM
"
reciprocate wrote:
Obviously since 0.9.5 is going to alpha sometime next week. Any ETA on a more detailed changelist before the actual patch came live like when you did with 0.9.4? The info now is nice and something to look forward to, but I am curious to see what other changes await us.

I'll post the detailed changelist when it's ready, but there are a couple of drawbacks with posting it too early. For starters, many people just read it once, so if we add some important change at the last minute, it may be missed. Secondly, I don't like to see people arguing about how much we broke the game when they aren't able to test the actual changes to see if we really did break it.

"
Molda wrote:
All of those changes, additions and fixes looks great, but i have one question about those respec points. I am not sure if i got this right, but i think its a bit weird to give respec points as quest rewards, because well, there will be quite big amount of people for which this won't be reward. Not everyone needs or wants to do respec. So giving those as quest rewards seems very very strange to me.

I agree that for players who don't need respecs, it's not a great reward. Long-term, it'll be on an unimportant quest. Everyone makes mistakes though, so they may find it useful :)
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
wish you guys would do a wipe like you did for .9.3.

~SotW HC Guild~

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info