Puncture Skill - Worth it?

Is there any reason to choose to use puncture over poison arrow? Poison arrow has chaos dmg on hit (based on physical dmg) and a chaos DoT which by-passes shields.

When I tried using puncture a bit in act 3 normal and I couldn't see monsters taking additional dmg when they move.

Is there anyone that would choose puncture over poison arrow for kiting bosses?
IIRC, puncture's damage is based off physical damage of the attack. Poison Arrow is based off a flat life degen effect. That means the poison effect from poison arrow deals the same amount of damage, whether you have a crappy low-damage bow or if you pump passive points into aoe damage or projectile damage or whatever.

I prefer poison arrow because I don't need to get an awesome new bow every five levels, but I can imagine puncture can be pretty gnarly if you get a critical strike using an end-game bow.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Problem with Puncture is that you need to score a critical strike for it to matter. I can confirm that Puncture dot based on critical hit deals some serious damage.

I was toying with an idea to use Puncture supported by GMP/LMP, Pierce and Increased Critical Strikes. It would be my first attack on big crowd of mobs followed by standard split arrow spam. One day when I get all my gear linked I might try it.
I'm using Puncture quite a bit and I've found it to be a great boss killer. It's a supreme kiting skill, allowing you to shoot one arrow and then be rewarded for running away, as opposed to losing out on damage.

As for the Puncture VS Posion Arrow question, I use both - Puncture is better against melee enemies since they'll follow me around all the time. Poison Arrow is better against ranged enemies since they tend to stay inside the cloud more and move less. Finally, you can stack both up and walk away.

I've recently started using Vulnerability with Puncture for the DoT damage boost, seems to work great. I also have an Iron Grip support slotted into it for the Physical Damage boost, and I have a slow firing physical damage bow to boost it further. It works fine even when it doesn't crit.
Last edited by DarkPlatypus on Feb 15, 2013, 4:44:14 AM
have anyone tried Puncture + Chance to Flee + GMP/LMP + Pierce?
I saw someone asking about this combo in Global Chat, but it was never answered..
"
Wertron wrote:
I saw someone asking about this combo in Global Chat, but it was never answered..

I do not like Chance to flee on AOE skill, it is much better to keep mobs in one place than have them scattered all around the place.

I will 4L my gloves over the weekend to see how Puncture+LMP+Pierce+Iron Grip works.
"
Baron01 wrote:
"
Wertron wrote:

I do not like Chance to flee on AOE skill, it is much better to keep mobs in one place than have them scattered all around the place.

I will 4L my gloves over the weekend to see how Puncture+LMP+Pierce+Iron Grip works.

The reason why I thought Chance to Flee would be nice, was to "max" the bleed effect :)
but if Flee makes them run in random directions (instead of the opposite direction of the player), then I guess it's crap :P
Anyone here have experience with King of the Hill? On paper it sounds like it would synergize well with a crit based Puncture build.

Edit: plz excuse the necro.
Quod efficax non stultum
Last edited by elindred on Jan 23, 2014, 12:15:33 AM
I think best way to build Puncture is to use Mine + Trap for insane damage, and double curse with Vulnerability + Crit Weakness/Temporal Chains.
How about Puncture + LMP + PCoC + Added Fire DMG + Elemental Proliferation ? Using some Burning Nodes and DoT Nodes with Crit. Could maybe do some serious DMG over Time.

Something like this maybe. http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAdEEBwX5DkgPxBEvEZYSaRXXFfAXHBmKGdUajx3ZHwIhdiLqJP0nISy_LR8wfDH6Mww2PTbFOdQ7fDvhPs9Ms0-_UUdWLVZjWqZjQ20Zb_JxeXWKdoJ293fXfyt_xoauh2WIa4t6lQWVyJsmm7WcLZ2uoJ-hpKKjo4qly6cIpyunNKfUrH-v67TRtve4yr3mwcXB88M6w23EosgMyqnUBdUA14bYJNwV3Mfe9uHb4vfjhOdU53To1utj7Bj22vlj-wn-Cf4r_sj_3g==

I had in Mind to use it as CI with Infernal Mantle to boost the Crit Chance and the Fire DMG. Something along this. Maybe i will try it on my Char. Since he has still the free respecc points.

Thoughts ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info