State of Exile Community Podcast - Episode 40 - Featuring Developers Chris and Carl

Have you considered doing one week events? Something like a one week endless ledge or a one week descent champ with endless levels.
One thing that I'd like to see changed/implemented regarding Invasion bosses and Zana's map modifier is that Invasion is no longer a "Zana's Wastepool". Transform the Invasion modifier into a prefix or affix like Bloodlines, Nemesis and Beyond. This will have more people using it more often and even rerolling maps simply to craft it (outside of paying chaos orbs to take advantage of the mod with her map device).

Another thing about Zana's "signature mod" is that you could change this to reflect her ability to increase/decrease the map's area and monster level. The map she generates with her signature mod is already random, so we can't decide what map level it will be - this will eliminate any concerns over "players will just abuse the re-tier tool over and over to run the best maps"; we can't craft signature mods--problem solved. "Zana's _" could be "Map Tier is 1-5 levels above normal". This would be an interesting mod, and you would actually see people buying her signature item instead of leaving an Invasion boss on a 68 map (excuse me, tier 1 map hue hue) in her vendor shop and never touching it. Additionally this would help aleviate some of the requests for "I want to run a 75 tropical island, why can't I do so?"
Bring back race seasons.
Zeno, your cats are bored bout all the divination cards! (at 1 hour 09 mins)
Guild "Metal" /// league + standard /// NO voice-chat necessary
Last edited by Infarkt on Oct 12, 2015, 3:09:11 AM
"
Turophile wrote:
Thanks for the post; always good to have more communication. I liked most of what I heard, particularly some of the potential upcoming changes to races. If I can get the awesome high race rewards based on skill rather than running a no-life build, that would be awesome! The crazy event coming soonish is also quite interesting.

I must say, though, I'm extremely concerned about GGG's current opinions on the map system and tiers, especially since mapping is where I spend seemingly "all" of my time playing Path of Exile. You don't want players falling into repetitive gameplay if they want to run the same tile-set over and over (say, if a given map type could drop as being within a range of tiers rather than a fixed tier/level)... so you want to maintain the status quo of a pyramidal map system, both in terms of drops and available tile-sets, that encourages players to strive only to play the same few maps over and over to maximize their rewards through challenge, loot, and experience yield. What? If a player wishes to spend a significant amount of time mapping, likely to achieve higher character levels, how does broadening the array of maps they might see for the vast majority of their end-game experience impose additional limits on the variety they might enjoy? Doesn't anyone notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! Seriously though, there are options that have been suggested before, such as making the tier of a map be random, potentially within a certain range to maintain lower tier "easy maps" and higher tier "hard maps," that would prevent all but the most determined-to-have-a-horribly-monotonous-and-just-plain-miserable-time people from picking the same tile-set over and over. Sure, a couple people might sit in trade for hours searching for that tier 15 plateau, but I think most people would want to actually play the game and run what they have for the most part. Maybe I'm wrong and this isn't what's best for the typical player and Path of Exile as a whole, but it's really feeling more and more like some of the most central elements of this game aren't really meant for me :/

There's lots they can do to open up higher level mapping variety. The scaling we see from Zana is one place to start: They could add a new map type, that's simply blank, meaning a random map base is selected, which would be added to each tier of the map pyramid (perhaps even have a greater drop frequency of blank maps from boss kills). This could use the same functionality as existing maps, i.e. 3*tier X blank maps = 1 tier X+1 blank map.

Alternatively they could add map opens a random map base scaled to the current tier to the mod pool, potentially adding more risk to chaos spamming efficient map bases looking for pack size or easy mods.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
I have another thing I'd like to see, but I'm too lazy to edit it into the original post (and decided I'd rather split the idea apart from maps).

Concerning race seasons and season rewards - I love the themed season ideas. Some of the past seasons had no themes, or some only had vague themes, but the last two had a very strong focus. I appreciate this; one thing I don't appreciate is the items themselves. I collect race rewards for two reasons, and I believe these are shared by most racers.

1. I want this item so I can sell it later at a higher turnout (most of the top prizes, or the plain white item with an ilvl of 100).

2. I want this item so I can reskin it.

Number one will always be subjective; some players will want certain items more than others, tastes may change with current meta, or item value may increase or decrease over time based on factors already listed. Number two won't change, but the rewards delivered impact it heavily.

If the item is a jewelry piece, you can't skin it (at least not to show it off). You will know you won the ring, you will see it skinned over your piece of jewelry, but there's nothing another player can do to visually recognize this apart from viewing your character's inventory on the forum. Please consider this when making race seasons - people who want visually unique and appealing 3D art see the masses of jewelry you hand out as "worthless" - obviously they are not, they have some implicit value because of reason one, but they have lost any value on reason two (unless it's an alternate art Lori's Lantern or the two unique belts that provide a visual aura buff like Malachai's belt).

This isn't to say I don't appreciate the alternate art jewelry, but it was not discussed in the video and I felt it was worth mentioning, especially as a racer myself. In the past there were some seasons that were predominated by jewelry pieces, which meant little if no 3D artwork.
Bring back race seasons.
The end of the podcast was hilarious. Well played, Zeno. (The chat's reaction to it was priceless!)

"
Fijasrules wrote:
To change the tier you could make it to be a mastercraft available from zana. For instance change Tier 1 to Tier 2 by paying currency. Then you could have a tier 2 tropical island.

Well, you've got 2 options there: Make this craft affordable, and it will become mandatory for all high tier maps. Or make it prohibitively expensive - in which case no one will use it because it's cheaper just to buy that tier+1 map. (And I don't think there would be room for a balanced price - the price difference between a tier 15 and a tier 14 map is much bigger than between 10 and 9...)
Crit happens.
Two main reasons why i don't participate in racing much:
1. Most of the races are pretty much the same. Replaying the game from "Twilight Strand" again and again gets boring.
2. I don't have as much time to dedicate to racing as some no-lifers do to be competitive.

GGG, have you considered doing something more different. Like creating an arena type race where players have to fight against waves of monsters for example.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Another 1 month ehhh you are kidding me please....

who cares about 1 month ppl stop playing after a week or 2.
IGN : Piechol

Pc specs:
i7 6700k 4,5GHz / 32gb G.Skill DDR4 3200MHz / Asus Maximus VIII Formula / Asus Gtx 1080 TI / Corsair RM1000i / Samsung SSD 500gb 850 Evo / Case Corsair Graphite T780 / Corsair H115i / Windows 10 x64
"
So... Uber Malachi? Another race season talk, but not Pvp?

I guess you and the 6 other people who play PvP in PoE will have a to wait.
"
Someone wanna give a summery?

+1000

"
Tyoll wrote:
"
So... Uber Malachi? Another race season talk, but not Pvp?

I guess you and the 6 other people who play PvP in PoE will have a to wait.

Man, you forgot Leo, Pvp only characters, tournaments, and the fun to burn another player alive.
I shall purify you in flame, noob of nightmare!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info