Challenge League Post-mortems

Wow, surprised to hear it cost you guys millions of dollars to develop the awakening, I hope it was a financial success for you guys.

Can't wait to play next leagues. :)
I find it interesting that you place a cost on each part of the game... I'd figure you just had payroll and monthly costs for servers and whatnot. I didn't know you assigned costs to specific results. How do you break down your costs into what effect that cost should be assigned to?
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
I find it interesting that you place a cost on each part of the game... I'd figure you just had payroll and monthly costs for servers and whatnot. I didn't know you assigned costs to specific results. How do you break down your costs into what effect that cost should be assigned to?

Thats industry standart
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

For challenge leagues, it's pretty easy. The unique items, art assets and effects that are created just for that league can be readily measured. Design time is easy to estimate (there were three guys who worked on it half-time for 9 weeks, etc, etc). It's a generous amount of estimating, but it easily lets us see whether a challenge league cost us $25k or $100k.

"
Cudez wrote:
Next leagues will be announced "later this year" ?!?

Is there going to be a long'ish pause in temp leagues or what? not that I mind since I play both temp and perm leagues but some might get upset.

We have a date in mind that is later this year but don't want to announce it until we know we can hit it. By saying "later this year" it lets us shuffle it around a bit while still being accurate. Btw, I am pretty sure I used the word "probably" in that sentence which has already been stripped out when it was quoted ;)
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Oct 8, 2015, 10:52:41 PM
Very nice writing, honest, deep, and truly interesting.
Also, for the first time, it won't generate a riot.
Congratulations on your improved written communication skills !

Thank you very much.
"
Chris wrote:

The next challenge leagues will have a set of 40 challenges, which range in difficulty. Completion of specific milestones (every 10 challenges, for example) will reward you with a microtransaction. Regular casual players who don't make it to maps can still receive some prizes for their participation in the challenge leagues.

If the MTX prizes are another full set of armour and completing all 40 challenges is significantly harder then the 1 Months, it might turn off players; who wants only half a set of armor?

Maybe something different like weapon skins, or even skill effects.
"
Chris wrote:
When the next challenge league starts, there will be both a Standard and Hardcore version of it, with overlapping but slightly different content. The new league represents more effort than we put into any previous league, which is possible because we're not developing two completely different leagues simultaneously. It's too early to talk about specifics of this league, but we'll probably be announcing it alongside other new content later this year.

Yay! I always hated not having access to half the cool new stuff you showed because it was in the wrong league.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
These insights into the process continue to be one of the reasons I find this game, and GGG in general, so engaging. Getting a picture of how both the player direct feedback and the statistics that are generated both work to influence decision making is a great aspect of the manifesto posts.

Sometimes I feel like there isn't very much transparency to the decision making, but when you look at this kind of post you realise its because of the generally high level of transparency and communication from the Devs (and Chris especially), you really notice when it is not there or not at the usual level.

Keep it up, guys. I'm not a huge financial supporter and probably will never get to be - but the consistent release of intriguing content, the ongoing push towards maintaining balance and complexity, and (of course) the shiny items and monster killing keeps me coming back for more.

Looking forward to the new league - just a word of suggestion... if you have different slightly different MTX rewards for the SC/HC version, that crossover that you don't currently have is going to be an easily solved problem :)

For me at least.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Oct 8, 2015, 11:01:51 PM
reserved for my thoughts shortly :)
The one thing I really enjoyed about the current challenge league is I don't feel gimped for playing standard. I get to play exactly what the hardcore league is and enjoy it as much as anyone. Problem with the last lot of leagues was that Warbands was OK but Tempest was far more rewarding to people due to the corruption drops ect. Now if you had combined both Tempest with Warbands it would of been epic, and offering the exact same mode in both hardcore and softcore is far more appealing in my own opinion. I feel the way you setup this one month challenge league was perfect, but the longer challenge leagues should not be like this, it would take away the epic feeling this race has given and will give again when it comes around again.

As for looking at ways for people to enjoy, my proposal would be something like this, lets use the last leagues for the example with one extra mod.

Week 1-2 - Tempest / Invasion
Week 3-4 - Warbands / Tempest
Week 5-6 - Warbands / Invasion
Week 7-8 - Tempest / Warbands
Week 9-10 - Warbands / Invasion
Week 10-12 - Invasion / Tempest
Week 12-15 - Invasion / Tempest / Warbands

ect... 3 mods per league that alternate, final 3 weeks is all 3 mods, to make the game more challenging, also to see those RIPs in hardcore!

Just my 2 cents.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info