Learning C++ programming language

"
Hilbert wrote:

But I couldn't figure out why people would use Java, maybe it was clever marketing because the I would always find better alternatives for its advertised strengths.

I'd say portability (and thus popularity- I mean who doesnt have a jvm installed on their machine ?) and standardized libraries are java's biggest strengths. personally Id say problems with some very important issues plagued it for a while, and only somewhat recently (~5 years) it got fairly in a good shape where you don't have to jump hoops with some resource management.

"

Unless you go deep into ASM you won't ever fully understand how compilers work.

but you said it yourself, assembly in general is not that hard. designing a good compiler is hard and learning and implementing all optimization techniques is very hard though.
sure x86 assembly has its own things, but take a RISC-based CPU and it's pretty straightforward. you know your memory, you know the registers, you know the stack, you know your float point registers. programming assembly in something like MIPS is not that 'hard' to learn. optimizing it is miles harder.

mandatory xkcd strip about compilers:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info