Is basic hardcore league really that dead?

Short answer: ded.

Long Answer: dead.

Real answer: There is little point in playing perm HC, because from its very nature, HC is not perm, lol. You are going to start new characters anyways, so why not start on temp league, when you are on it? That is the main problem with that league, and I doubt GGG will come up with anything to solve it any time soon.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
"
viperesque wrote:
Last time we got stats on this sort of thing, which was a while ago (and while temp leagues were running), it was consistently something like 50% of people in the SC temp league, 25% in the hardcore temp league, 23% in standard and 2% in hardcore. People who like hardcore don't tend to be attached to their characters, so a permanent hardcore league is not very appealling to most of them as long as there are alternatives running.

Really well explained.

Especially the bold bit.

Except when the reverse is true.It's a small minoririty to be sure,but those types are out there.

When I played exclusively hardcore in games,I attached to the characters that survived the trials and tribulations of that mode,even when they were retired to make way for new characters or if they died a heroic death they were remembered.

Now that I play only softcore in pretty much all my games currently,I have very little attachment to any characters I create and care little for their demise ... they are Gods afterall and I can't/don't relate well to them at all.

They're mostly just dress a doll dummys showcasing items with zero flavor or "character" to them..... no fond memories worth attaching to them.

On Topic of if Hardcore really is "that" dead.

Was pretty quiet in hardcore league when I left for softcore in Awakening,which is part of it's draw for the players that still inhabit the HC server,I would think.

=P
Last edited by Temper on Oct 6, 2015, 6:13:02 AM
"
Temper wrote:
"
"
viperesque wrote:
Last time we got stats on this sort of thing, which was a while ago (and while temp leagues were running), it was consistently something like 50% of people in the SC temp league, 25% in the hardcore temp league, 23% in standard and 2% in hardcore. People who like hardcore don't tend to be attached to their characters, so a permanent hardcore league is not very appealling to most of them as long as there are alternatives running.

Really well explained.

Especially the bold bit.

Except when the reverse is true.It's a small minoririty to be sure,but those types are out there.

When I played exclusively hardcore in games,I attached to the characters that survived the trials and tribulations of that mode,even when they were retired to make way for new characters or if they died a heroic death they were remembered.

Now that I play only softcore in pretty much all my games currently,I have very little attachment to any characters I create and care little for their demise ... they are Gods afterall and I can't/don't relate well to them at all.

They're mostly just dress a doll dummys showcasing items with zero flavor or "character" to them..... no fond memories worth attaching to them.

On Topic of if Hardcore really is "that" dead.

Was pretty quiet in hardcore league when I left for softcore in Awakening,which is part of it's draw for the players that still inhabit the HC server,I would think.

=P

Mostly true about attachment to HC characters.
The only chars i have ''feelings'' are my HC ones and my first character ever in sc domination. I remember how each and everyone died and how i reacted, anger or laugh. About sc chars now... i dont mind dying if i am under 88 and game just goes on without colour.

Well i dont know why perm HC is dead and i am sorry to hear it, since leveling in hc is a delightfull experience in HIGH CONTRAST to sc leveling where you just "need to get there"
Yes it's dead ggg said less than 1% of the poe player are in hc
There's dozens of us playing in HC. Looks to me like most play solo. "Dead" refers to the community aspects of the game which I've ignored anyway for almost three years.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
There's dozens of us playing in HC.

Dozens are NOTHING for an online game!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
666lol666 wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
There's dozens of us playing in HC.

Dozens are NOTHING for an online game!

You should really watch Arrested Development, funniest shit ever.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I plan on playing norm HC when there isn't a good temp-league to do. But I started in bloodlines and tempests was too fun to pass up. The throwback leagues are too awesome as well to say no to. Blame GGG for making the side-leagues so fun :p
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
I play mostly hardcore.

It barely matters to me how many players there are. I do trade some and i get what i want when i need it from poe trade.
I also play with some friends which eliminates the need for random groups, which i would never do in HC anyways.
Temp leagues are nice, but a slightly turn of for me as i collect uniques and get satisfaction from organizing my stash, so i temp leagues i alternate between.

That said i dont mind more friends on my list either so feel free to add me anyone :)
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
There's dozens of us playing in HC. Looks to me like most play solo. "Dead" refers to the community aspects of the game which I've ignored anyway for almost three years.

And that is why you have over 10k posts (over 11 posts a day for over 2 years... lol) on the forum. Yeah. Dead refers to amount of people playing on HC, and with ~1% of people playing in HC, we can pretty much say it is dead. Nothing to do with "community aspects".
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Oct 8, 2015, 6:44:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info