Final Fantasy VII, and Why I Haven't Played It.

So, after playing this game and loving it to death, something has been bugging me. People say that the skill gem system is like the system in place in final fantasy VII. Now, I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, but I have to say I haven't played Final Fantasy 7. I've played 1 & 2 (Origins), 3 & 4 (DS), 5 & 6 (Anthology) Tactics, 8 (Bluh), 9 (PS1), 10, 10-2, 11, 12, 13, 13-2, and even FF14 (The Closed beta, for like 5 minutes, couldn't figure it out, hah!

But anyways, onto the point of this thread. Why haven't I played 7? I've played every other Final Fantasy game, but not 7, BLASPHEMY, right? Well, the reason I haven't played it is because.... I don't have Disc 1. I inherited this game from my brother who passed it down to me when I was a little kid. I probably played it a little back then, but if I did, I don't remember. Since then, I've somehow lost disc 1. (Probably got stolen, kids stole so much stuff from me T_T)

Why haven't I bought a new one? Well, being the ADD, OCD person that I am, I could just go out and buy a new game. But I have disc 2 and 3 already. It would bother me, because it's such a waste of money!

OK, So now, why not just go on Ebay and search for a disc 1, surely someone else will have it, won't they? Short answer: No. Long answer: Noooooooooooooo. I facepalmed so hard when searching for disc 1. As it clearly would turn out, there are only auctions for discs 2 and disc 3.

WHAT?!?!?!

There are bunches of discs 2 and 3 for sale, but why no disc 1? The only thing I can conclude is that other people must have misplaced their discs like I have. How...... unfortunate.

So now I'm here, writing this, Disc1less, wanting to play FFVII. My last hope is to ask you guys. Anyone out there, anyone who might have an extra disc 1 lying around that you took from some poor little kid back in the day, help a brother out! I'll buy the disc off of you!
See you, Space Cowboy...
You can always just download it. It emulates just fine, you can even use your originals of discs 2 and 3 if it makes you feel better.
"
You can always just download it. It emulates just fine, you can even use your originals of discs 2 and 3 if it makes you feel better.

Emulation isn't a substitution for playing the actual game. Emulators will never be able to reproduce the exact same graphics and sound that a ps1 or ps2 can produce, and definitely not the feel of using an old Dualshock 2 controller.
See you, Space Cowboy...
It's the "actual game" either way. The Playstation isn't the game, it's the Playstation.

I see that kind of traditionalist argument from pure console gamers all the time, but I would have thought people who play on PC at least a bit would think differently. I mean, if Skyrim looks slightly different on your PC than it does on yours, is one of our copies then not the "actual game"? Of course not, that's absurd. They're both running off the same code, the same data; something in your PC (hardware, drivers, mods, game options, monitor calibration; anything) just interprets it a little differently.

You can use that old Dualshock 2 on a PC, too, by the way. I use my Gamecube pad when I need a controller.

But whatever, your preference is your preference. Best of luck finding a copy.
"
It's the "actual game" either way. The Playstation isn't the game, it's the Playstation.

I see that kind of traditionalist argument from pure console gamers all the time, but I would have thought people who play on PC at least a bit would think differently. I mean, if Skyrim looks slightly different on your PC than it does on yours, is one of our copies then not the "actual game"? Of course not, that's absurd. They're both running off the same code, the same data; something in your PC (hardware, drivers, mods, game options, monitor calibration; anything) just interprets it a little differently.

You can use that old Dualshock 2 on a PC, too, by the way. I use my Gamecube pad when I need a controller.

But whatever, your preference is your preference. Best of luck finding a copy.

Incorrect. Running emulators is not comparable to running Skyrim on different PCs. Emulators function quite differently than you would think. Actually, emulators attempt to reproduce the same effects that the ps1 hardware would have on the game, and it's a very tricky thing to attempt to do.

There's lots of things that they can't get exactly the same with the emulators. Whether It's the bugged graphical effect of a certain monster's attack, or a stuttery soundtrack for a specific song, no matter what game you play on a ps1 emulator there will be certain glitches and bugs that the emulator can't properly reproduce the same way as a ps1 could, and as a result, the game doesn't feel the same as it does on the console itself.

Skyrim was built to function properly on many different platforms and hardware, and it does, where as Final Fantasy 7 was meant to be only be played on the Playstation.

Anyways, I'd like to own the physical copy of the game anyways. I have all of the other games, and I need this one to complete my collection. Thanks for the posts.
See you, Space Cowboy...
Last edited by Origination on Feb 14, 2013, 1:16:09 AM
FF VII, like most JRPGs, bored me to tears.

I could never get into that game. Never understood how it spent so much time around the top of peoples' "best of all time" lists.

I thought the world design and aesthetic was pretty cool, but the actual gameplay and pacing? Not so much.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
You needn't presume to know what I think, I'm well aware of how emulators function. The detailed technicalities just weren't relevant to the point I was demonstrating: that the exact same "actual" game can end up "feeling different" on different machines (virtual or otherwise), and people can live with that just fine. We simply disagree on the importance of sticking to the "original feel", especially if the alternative is not playing the game at all. In any case, this is no longer helping you solve your problem; sorry for derailing the thread.
"
and people can live with that just fine.

I can't. Does that mean I'm not a person?

"
Yespecially if the alternative is not playing the game at all.

The alternative isn't not getting the game at all, it's getting the game at a later date than I would have on an emulator. It's not a question of if I'll get the game, eventually I'll get it through whatever means. It's a question of when.
See you, Space Cowboy...
Last edited by Origination on Feb 14, 2013, 2:14:20 AM
I own an original copy; paid $50 for it back in the day.

Played for about 30 minutes - it was good, cut-scenes were fantastic (for the time); my major gripe about the game is that you don't start at level 1 - you start at level 5 or so. I know it's a rather petty thing, but it's just something that has always irked me in RPGs.

I'll beat it some day...

(Final Fantasy IX is my favorite of them all)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
"
RulerofAsgard wrote:
I own an original copy; paid $50 for it back in the day.

Played for about 30 minutes - it was good, cut-scenes were fantastic (for the time); my major gripe about the game is that you don't start at level 1 - you start at level 5 or so. I know it's a rather petty thing, but it's just something that has always irked me in RPGs.

I'll beat it some day...

(Final Fantasy IX is my favorite of them all)

Hah, You must HATE the Pokemon games then!
I'm going to have to agree with IX being my favorite. It was the second Final Fantasy that I completed, and it truly is a masterpiece. I love the medieval setting of RPGs the most, rather than the more science fiction oriented ones, but they're still all good!
See you, Space Cowboy...
Last edited by Origination on Feb 14, 2013, 2:15:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info