Dual Claw Wild Strike / Cyclone Phys Crit [~180k DPS]

Hello Exile,

Welcome to my description of a Wild Strike / Cyclone Dual Claw Phys Crit build I used in Warbands.

Playstyle

Try to be on the move, which means don't stay to long in one place(Cyclone or Whirl in and out from monsters) as the extra damage from Abyssus really hurts. Apart from that just run around and click away. When you get in trouble use cyclone to heal along with Quicksilver flask to get out. Also use cyclone to cull rare monsters, exiles and map bosses.

Pros & Cons

Pros
- a bit of damage
- fun to play
- decent clear speed
- Atziri viable
- does not require exuberant investments in terms of orbs

Cons
- fragile - from time to time you are going to die (so not recommended for hardcore)
- Ele reflect hurts (but is manageable)

Gems

With 4 power charge along with Hatred, Herald of Ice and Ice Golem at present it give around 180k damage

Main Skill is as follows:

Wild Strike - Melee Physical Damage <33%> - Multi Strike <27%> - Faster Attack <18%> - Added Fire Damage <25%> - Blood Magic

In brackets we have the reduction in damage obtained by removing a support gem.

If you would like to get more damage you could swap Blood Magic with Fortify or Melee Elemental Damage. The former will increase your DPS by around 6% and the latter by 28%, but now you are quite mana hungry and you might be running short of mana more often than not.

For a 5-link I dropped Blood Magic but it meant I had to pop my mana flask every couple of seconds. Also I was running PCOC/Increased Crit Damage instead of Added Fire Damage as my corrupted chest had one blue socket.

For a 4-link I would go with Wild Strike - Melee Physical Damage - Multi Strike - Faster Attack

Additional skills:
Cyclone - Culling Strike - Increased Rarity - Life Leech

As mentioned above this is to move, heal and cull special monsters. DPS on it is 32k.

Spectral Throw - PCOC - GMP

Spectral Throw is great to hit monsters(mostly hard-hitting bosses) you don't want to get too close to. Also PCOC is for curse immune maps, where you can't generate power charges with Assassin's Mark.

Auras:

Hatred <20%>

Herald of Cold <2%> - Mana Leech - Curse on Hit - Assassin's Mark

Although it doesn't provide a lot of damage (HoA would give me 4x the HoI extra damage), but free power changes make up for it and mana leech help to keep the 25% of your mana pool more easily replenished.

CWDT - Immortal Call - Increased Duration - Molten Shell

For additional mobility I use Whirling Blade and I also use Ice Golem <5%> for increased Crit and Accuracy.

Gear

Claws - aim for high phys along with high crit chance as when you crit the build really shines

My current chance to crit is 38% and 44% with Ice Golem they increase to 42% and 46% respectively. With four power charges the chance to crit goes to 56% and 62% so it's ok, but could be higher.

If you are not running Blood Magic you could try Gemini Claws as they should allow to get mana as you hit enemies, which should make mana-run specs much more user friendly. I didn't managed to obtain a pair of good Gemini's, so can't say how much better it is.

Helmet - Abyssus

After the recent changes with respect to physical damage Abyssus makes you much more fragile, but in softcore I find it still managable. Removing it decreases your damage by roughly 46%.

Armour 6l

Armour/Life/Resist

Gloves

Attack Speed/Added Physical Damage/Leech

Boots

Movement Speed/Resist/Life

Phys Damage/Crit Multi/Resist/Life

Resists/Phys Damage/Crit Chance/Life

Flasks

Jewels

They are quite similar with regard to added damage.

Passive Tree

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAAYAXgEJA4cEsQUtBbUHHgqbDY0OSBGWEdUV9hX9Fr8brSLqI_Yk_SaVKgsqOC5TMHw2PTfUQzFF9Ed-SVFKfUscTGBM_02STipRR1VLV5dbr13yYEFh4mJ5YqxjcGSvZU1noGqMapVsjG1sb1dwUnDVdO14GXjreu99dYTFhNmHdonTijiMNo19jYGNv4_BkoCVLpVmmhebtZ2qotmjiqZ_sNixs7TFtUi42b02vqfBoMLswzrIFNNv037WB9rB3Ujjn-dU6NbtP-1B7g7v4_DV8-r1b_zF_rr_3g==?accountName=tb63678&characterName=Rozrobor

The current tree allows you much maneuver as you can add/respect into more life/damage/armour/evasion/life leech/mana leech just as you see fit.

Progression

For levelling in 2.0 I first went through Shadow part of the tree(with the exception of Vaal Pact which was picked up later on somewhere around level 75-85), with wheel of claws as a early goal. Next progress to Ranger and Duelist parts.

37 Skill Points

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAFf0WvyaVKgs2PUX0SxxVS13yYeJirGSvaoxsjG1sb1dwUnDVeBmJ04o4jDaNgY_Bnaqi2aZ_sNixs7TFtUjBoMgU1gftQfPq9W8=?accountName=tb63678&characterName=Rozrobor

76 Skill Points

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAQkDhwSxBbUHHgqbDkgRlhX9Fr8brSP2JP0mlSoLMHw2PTfURfRJUUscTGBNklFHVUtd8mHiYqxkr2qMbIxtbG9XcFJw1XgZeOt9dYnTijiMNo19jYGNv4_BlS6VZp2qotmjiqZ_sNixs7TFtUi42cFJwaDC7MgUyNzTftYH3UjnVO0_7UHuDu_j8NXz6vVv_MX-Hf66_94=?accountName=tb63678&characterName=Rozrobor

Depending on your gear you might need to pick up some additional Strength/Intelligence from the tree somewhere around here from which you can respect later on.

I recommend taking Spirit Void unless you get mana leech on gear and don't have mana deficiency. I respect from it later on.

100 Skill Points

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAAYBCQOHBLEFLQW1Bx4Kmw2NDkgRlhHVFfYV_Ra_G60j9iT9JpUqCy5TMHw2PTfUQzFF9Ed-SVFKfUscTGBM_02STipRR1VLV5dbr13yYEFh4mJ5YqxjcGSvZU1noGqMbIxtbG9XcFJw1XTteBl463rvfXWE2Yd2idOKOIw2jX2NgY2_j8GVLpVmnaqi2aOKpn-w2LGztMW1SLjZvTa-p8GgwuzIFNNv037WB9rB3Ujjn-dU7T_tQe4O7-Pw1fPq9W_8xf66_94=?accountName=tb63678&characterName=Rozrobor

Bandits

Normal - Oak [+40 Life]
Cruel - Kraityn [8% Attack Speed]
Merciless - Alira [+1 Power Charge]

Gems - alternatives

Cyclone:
As the idea for the build comes from a previous experience with pre 2.0 Claw Phys Crit Cyclone, you could use as your main skill cyclone.
For a 6l I would go with:
Cyclone - Blood Magic - Added Fire Damage - Melee Physical Damage - Faster Attacks - Weapon Elemental Damage.

With four power charge this generates around 120k DPS, but cycloner is much harder to hit also as more of your damage is physical leech from gear is much higher.

Maxed Damage:

If you go with Wild Strike - Faster Attack - Multi Strike - Melee Physical Damage - Added Fire Damage - Melee Elemental Damage along with Hatred, HoA and Ice Golem with the current gear my DPS increases to 229k. (Of course in that case I am often short on mana). Any ideas on how to make it work?

More defensive stance:

At present I have Phys reduction from Armour at 26% and a 14% chance to evade attacks. With a Granite Flask(with a 89% incread armour mod) up the Phys reduction increases to 55% with armour over 12k. If you feel this is not enough for use (and it well might be) you could drop Hatred and Herald of Ice reducing your dps by around 22% and instead run Determination and Artic Armour which would increase your ability to absorb damage. Also swapping one of the supports (i.e. Added Fire Damage) for Fortify and changing the Golem from Ice to Chaos can further improve your survivability. Of course you can also put Endurance charges up via Enduring Cry further increasing physical damage taken.

Videos

Standard setup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-gl5UJaRzU

Standard setup - Enfeebled (sry for no audio - I forgot to switch off my radio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewOJuPVIxVQ

vs Elemental reflect (Life Leech) (sry for no audio - I forgot to switch off my radio))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr8DWY80PZc

Life Leech added
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nk9kxc5hRI

Cyclone as base attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZx6U-i9fUw

FAQ

Is is Atziri viable?

Yes

Is Vaal Pact required?

Not necessarily, but I feel it make the build smoother to play.

ScreenShots

Wild Strike without power charges

Wild Strike with 4 power charges

Wild Strike max damage

Defensive Stats

Last edited by tb63678 on Oct 17, 2015, 2:38:22 AM
Is it Atziri Viable?
Just now starting this build, looks like a ton of fun to play.
Is Vaal pact really worth it in this? Seems like you'd get a lot more out of dropping it for the 3.6% life regen and running Blood Rage to boost your overall damage(and adding a bit of extra leech).
Also a bit curious on Wild Strike with phys leech? Especially since MPD only affects the melee portion of WS?
Build looks really fun, I like the use of multiple attacks, makes it feel more active.
Last edited by kuraku94 on Oct 10, 2015, 9:27:00 AM
Don't forget to add to your list of "Pros" that the gear requirements are *extremely* modest.
Hey, currently leveling with this build and I've just hit cruel difficulty. Its much more dynamic than other builds which is something I miss with a lot of builds so A+ to that. As for leveling issues with mana, I've found there are two ways to deal with it:

1. Run poacher's mark as your curse till you can sustain BM. This isnt perfect since you'll need to flask every now and then to curse a pack.

2. Use Mana on Hit on gear or use the new claw base. This is possibly the best way to sustain this build on mana. I can't speak for it when playing with 75% mana reserved but I've been running just hatred as my aura and my mana is near-perfect with the double claw.

Just felt the need to share this, really enjoy Wild Strike, I think its the coolest skill added in 2.0.

Happy Grinding!
Melee Phys support doesnt work for the Wildstrike projectiles/Aoes/chains, since they are not tagged as melee.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1158669

Cyclone MARA Beginners and Advanced Guide.
"
Vincendra wrote:
Melee Phys support doesnt work for the Wildstrike projectiles/Aoes/chains, since they are not tagged as melee.

Why not? There is physical converted into elemental dmg, so each physical dmg increas increases ele dmg also?!

Great build in my opinion. I am at level 62, have 5l without bloodmagic and there is a lot of fun.

I really like glascannons, so i tried this Maligaro's_Restraint belt. The tooltip doesnt change, but i guess the 60% additive damage works.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback. I will try to reply as best as I can:

1) Atziri

The build is very much Atziri viable (did not try Uber). However, during the split phase I would recommend not using Wild Strike, as chaining is not your friend there and the reflect is deadly.

2) Vaal Pact

I got into Vaal pact late in the progression and it was quite possible to run maps without it. I just found it much easier to go along with it, especially in situations where you get hit hard and have to recuperate from low life as the next hit is coming.

I don't have much experience with Blood Rage so I can't really tell how it would fare.
Getting more leech should not be much of a problem as you can get it either via tree(Vitality Void is just 3 passives away) or on gear.

3) Phys leech

I agree that phys leech with WS is suboptimal as a lot of damage gets converted to elemental so we are lossing leech potential. But even with the conversion you still deal a ton of phys damage and the amount of life leech is not that bad.

(I really enjoy playing with phys claws as they allow me to skip the life leech gem on my main skill. This build is to some extent a modification of a cyclone build (I used in the previous temp league) in which you can reap the full potential of the phys life leech on claws).

4) Gear requirement

Thanks for the tip, I did indeed forget to add this to my list of Pros. In Warbands I was quite lucky with getting my gear and with the exception of the 6l chest none of the items cost more than 1Ex. Usually a decent 300+ pdps claws are purchasable at around 3EX (in a temp league), however my impression is that there is some price inflation in recent months with respect to claws.

5) Mana issues

Poacher's Mark seems like a nice idea for levelling. :)
(Have you tried to curse using HoI / HoT and Curse-on-Hit?)

Mana on Hit on new claws should indeed be the best option.

You may also try getting Spirit Void passive for Phys Mana Leech (it helped me considerably while levelling, but I stil had to pop mana flask from time to time).

5) Melee Physical Damage

Yes, it doesn't scale your after-effects(not directly at least), only the base phys damage from which those effects are converted. Removing it however reduces my damage much more than Faster Attacks or Added Fire Damage, thus I think it's still worth it.

Cheers,
tb
Last edited by tb63678 on Oct 17, 2015, 2:15:47 PM
"
tb63678 wrote:

Melee Physical Damage

Yes, it doesn't scale your after-effects(not directly at least), only the base phys damage from which those effects are converted. Removing it however reduces my damage much more than Faster Attacks or Added Fire Damage, thus I think it's still worth it.

Cheers,
tb

I was on the same way, but poe-wiki tells us:

"
For example, supporting Wild Strike with Melee Physical Damage will increase the damage of the melee hit but not the triggered attacks.

and(!)

"
Tooltip damage: The damage dealt and DPS values shown on this ability's tooltip only indicates the statistics of the initial hit and does not include the random elemental conversion.

So the meele phys gem for sure increases the tooltip vry high. but it has no effect to the elemental dmg at all. Im not sure how the melee hit of this attack is scaled. Is it 40%? Is it 110-138% (leveled base damage)? Whatever, i guess its important to consider that the tooltipp damage is a bit decaptive. the 60% converted phys to ele dmg are not included.

So what now? I will try to play this char without iPMD (same thing to the fortify dmg boost i guess).
Instead we could use some more Crit DMG, or Innervate. The highest DMG will do Crit DMG. It increases the dmg of the Melee hit AND of the ELE-effect. As long as you crit..
Innervate is for funny mapclearing

It would be really usefull to know the exactly dmg of the ele-effects for Leech things. For example a lightning leech could give us a lot if the arc works like "arc".
But im with the builder. The leech is most important to facetank bosses. So the 30k(?) Tooltip Phys dmg will be fine to survive.

And now im sry for that shitty english...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info