I was really sad to find out he was serious..

About professional beggars: they sound like amateurs. The way I would go about it would be to find someone who lists high-end items at low prices (therefore they are wealthy but not overly mercantile) and pose as a completely overwhelmed and hapless beginner. "Hey, could I possibly give you something else for this 5 chaos item you listed? Whatever you say, I just really need it :(; By the way, I saw these amazing items in your shop - how am I supposed to farm 20 exalts? Been playing for 2 weeks and didn't see a single exalt, only got a few chaos orb drops, these prices look really depressing but you seem like a cool guy, so they are actually fair - could you help me with some advice? I saw this cool guide and it says "noob friendly" but requires so many exalts :( - just wanna play with my boyfriend but he doesn't want to party with me because I can't run high level maps and slow him down :(" etc. etc. *sad puppy eyes*

I should have done this to OP, received some generous donations and then said "10x bro, can you give me 100ex more?"

...too lazy to pull it off but the image brings a smile to my face

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 27, 2015, 10:23:04 AM
"
Omga4000 wrote:

"
can I have 100 ex I'm a dinosaur
^_^

I only have 99 :(
But I would love to have a dinosaur as my friend!! Can I ride you? :D

Teeeheeee

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
You called his bluff, so he called yours in retaliation. This is one of the most basic trolling scenarios.

Ultimately you lost though, since you wrote him a sincere, 3-line PM (this provides the troll enough sustenance for many days). And then you made this forum post about it, immortalizing his successful trolling for all eternity!

The proper anti-trolling technique would have been to invite him, then ignore him for 1 or 2 minutes at a time, occasionally posting a "your ho" / "my ho" message to keep his hopes up. But nothing more.

It takes practice to effectively combat trolls but you'll learn eventually (or be completely devoured by them, whichever comes first).
Last edited by Fightgarr on Sep 27, 2015, 12:11:30 PM
An alternative method would be to say "My HO.", then, when he enters it, say "I'm getting my exalt mule character, just wait a sec, then go play a character in another league.
"
johnKeys wrote:
didn't you see Jurassic Park?
never trust a Dinosaur. especially not a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Well I had no idea what kind of a dinosaur he is!

"
While bothering random people for currency is rude, I understand how he'd want to see if he can't happen to find one of the ultra-rich players that is going to simply let his currency rot away in a stash after the league ends and hope to get some currency out of that player.

I don't see how trolling the guy back isn't fair game, when he's the one going to bother random people.

Was in Standard.
And as I said before, the only reason I "trolled" (was sarcastic, not trolling), is because I was sure he is only asking to troll me.. So I played along.
You can see that when I understood he is serious, I immediately said what I said.

"
deathflower wrote:
"
Omga4000 wrote:
There's a HUGE difference between saying you are giving away 100ex, and then not doing it,and being asked by complete stranger to give them 100ex, without knowing him, without you saying anything about it at all. Just just pathetic and rude to be honest :)

So it is ok to troll this one guy but trolling global just isn't? They both aren't right, the only difference is severity. Since you say he probably is a new player, he could be coming from a different game environment. In some games, this could be a fairly common occurrence, where higher level players are asked by lower level players for donation.

I never said one is better than the other. Only stated that there is a difference.

"
"
^_^

Never hurts to ask!

Why so mad, OP?

Who's mad? I am not mad. Do I look mad?!??!?!

"
lolozori wrote:
I have given free ex in random sarn few time in past, this is just a game after all and I don t rmt so why not giving something I think is just pixel.

Recently I got those guys asking me stuff about the game and I ended giving them free items.

Few of them kept harassing me every now and then for free level 20 gems, 100 regrets, things like that. Not even a pls or anything, once i gave them an items they think I will provide them everything they ask.

They are in ignore list now because while I think it is ok and fun to help someone, it is rude for them to ask for anything thinking you will provide them shit all the time.

There is this guy that is now top pvp, he sold everything two years ago and came back last month or so. Asked me few shit items and I gave him, then he started to ask me for shit like empower level 4 and kaoms. Looked in his profile when he came back his toon had nothing, 2 weeks later he had leg aegis and 6l coil.

Some of those guys are professional beggars and if they can t get what they want they rmt.

I still give free shit but much less than before, I find there is more and more rude people thinking once you give them an apple they will take the whole tree from you.

BTW I am not rich got like 3ex now in standard after playing since 2013, max I even owned in my stash was like 50ex.

TO me giving is fun even if I have not much. I wish Rich people of POE would share stuff too sometime, It is just a game. If i was rich like ventor I would give free ex every Xmas to level 1 players lol.

When it's coming from you and from your own will, it's really awesome!

I was given many things for free, honestly. Someone gave me a 6L Belly of the Beast, for example.
Someone even gave me a Loath Bane to use. (I gave it back though)
But I NEVER asked for more. Only appreciated the fact he had given it to me.

Some people are just rude. What can you do about it? :)

"
DoubleU wrote:
I ran into many so-called professional beggars in WoW, just /ignore and move on.

Since I didn't give it to him, he is an amature!
Should I sent him for begging training?

"
I'm just really impressed by the censorship effort and the convenient addition of 'him' and 'me' tags. I mean, it doesn't really negate the pettiness of it all...if anything, it sort of punctuates it.

This is clearly someone who would have a field day if we could get transcripts of all the conversations we have in real life.

Moral to the story: if you're begging for inordinate amounts of currency, find someone else if they don't have it over quick fucking smart.

Well, since I censored his name, the "-->" and "<--" (to and from arrows) were censored as well.
So I had to make you understand some way or another ^^'

"
Bars wrote:
About professional beggars: they sound like amateurs. The way I would go about it would be to find someone who lists high-end items at low prices (therefore they are wealthy but not overly mercantile) and pose as a completely overwhelmed and hapless beginner. "Hey, could I possibly give you something else for this 5 chaos item you listed? Whatever you say, I just really need it :(; By the way, I saw these amazing items in your shop - how am I supposed to farm 20 exalts? Been playing for 2 weeks and didn't see a single exalt, only got a few chaos orb drops, these prices look really depressing but you seem like a cool guy, so they are actually fair - could you help me with some advice? I saw this cool guide and it says "noob friendly" but requires so many exalts :( - just wanna play with my boyfriend but he doesn't want to party with me because I can't run high level maps and slow him down :(" etc. etc. *sad puppy eyes*

I should have done this to OP, received some generous donations and then said "10x bro, can you give me 100ex more?"

...too lazy to pull it off but the image brings a smile to my face

"... Wanna slow him down"
Ok, got it. I will give it a test and report back master! :D

"
Boem wrote:
"
Omga4000 wrote:

"
^_^

I only have 99 :(
But I would love to have a dinosaur as my friend!! Can I ride you? :D

Teeeheeee

Peace,

-Boem-

Teeeheeee to you as well my good sir! :)
"
Omga4000 wrote:

Now that was an unexpected but not unwelcome leap of imagination.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"
Fightgarr wrote:
You called his bluff, so he called yours in retaliation. This is one of the most basic trolling scenarios.

Ultimately you lost though, since you wrote him a sincere, 3-line PM (this provides the troll enough sustenance for many days). And then you made this forum post about it, immortalizing his successful trolling for all eternity!

The proper anti-trolling technique would have been to invite him, then ignore him for 1 or 2 minutes at a time, occasionally posting a "your ho" / "my ho" message to keep his hopes up. But nothing more.

It takes practice to effectively combat trolls but you'll learn eventually (or be completely devoured by them, whichever comes first).

I did invite him to my party, and ignored him.. When he said "my ho", "where are you" etc, we were in party.
But as I said, when I found it he is serious I was just too sad to troll him back :(

"
An alternative method would be to say "My HO.", then, when he enters it, say "I'm getting my exalt mule character, just wait a sec, then go play a character in another league.

He could still PM you though. No no.. This requires something else..

"
Bars wrote:
"
Omga4000 wrote:

Now that was an unexpected but not unwelcome leap of imagination.

I am glad you're enjoying the show. While exiting, please remember to pick up any garbage you may have left.
Thank you for choosing OmgaTheater.
Last edited by Omga4000 on Sep 27, 2015, 12:43:03 PM
He sounds like he's about 8 years old and doesn't really understand the value he's asking for.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
The correct way to handle this situation is as follows:
1) Ask if equivalent currency is ok.
1) Open trade window.
2) Place ten scraps of wisdom in the window (the vendor price of ten stacks of exalts)
3) Enjoy the reaction.
"
The correct way to handle this situation is as follows:
1) Ask if equivalent currency is ok.
1) Open trade window.
2) Place ten scraps of wisdom in the window (the vendor price of ten stacks of exalts)
3) Enjoy the reaction.

Double 1, skipped to 2. Chat window was not open.
Placed the scraps on the ground and they were destroyed.
Still enjoyed the reaction.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info