[2.0] The Cursologist: -182% Enemy Elemental Resist, 11K ES 1.6K/sec regen, Cheap, Support

"
Hyron wrote:
Just started this build in the 1Month league and its not fun at all.... at least when you play alone (as in my case).
So if you wanna try this one, get a group which you can buff.

why i used this build in the short league: the uniques are super cheap: doedres and windscream are only 1c each, so you can spend your currency for high es items to get you defensives up.

on top of that i have an additional info: if you can grab a 6l chest, you can save a 4L curse setup when you use arsenath gentle touch. so spell+coh+4 curses in chest and the temp chains on hit from the gloves. you will lose a bit of defensive stats, but you have another 4L setup to run.

Playing alone will not work since the build isn't designed to deal damage or travel alone. You could modify it to do so, but almost any other build would solo better. It is 100% support. My experience playing this was really positive, whether it be duo with a friend, or in a pickup group. It shined during high level maps.

The uniques preferred are definitely cheap this league, making it a great option as a support for the one month challenge.

The additional info you offer while doable, isn't optimal. Doing something like using a Tabula would leave you out thousands of ES, making your regen much less effective. I would prioritize a +1 curse amulet to go for a 6th curse with a high ES 5L and Asenath or other curse on hit gloves before using a low ES 6L. If you do have a 6L chest with good ES, you would sell yourself short by not getting that 6th curse.

If you want to experience it in a group PM me and we can meet in standard. I've realized that getting a solid group for maps in standard is hard to do during this event so a good game play video will have to wait.
Nice build,

turn on RF and you can go for -171 fire resis and deal more damage than party members.

However, I like this support thing. Did you pick up the node for extra curse?

NL
Sirdaneth,

Your dedication to me in your thread was very touching. I appreciate all the support my guild members and ex-guild members have shown me over the past few months during this difficult time. I wish you all the best with your build and future builds and I want you to know you always have a spot in my in game family ( guild ).

Best wishes and thanks,

xWeaklingx
that was mainly a conforming messeage :D

btw what jewels are u guys using?
im using 2 energy from within and fragile bloom is VERY powerfull with this build. you can reach up to 20% es reg.
I am going to start my first support char with a friend pretty soon, we want to use cyclone as the main damage attack tho. Is this build good with cyclone too or do i need to change stuff around?
Hi, I studied your tree closely and I came up with another tree that is somewhat more efficient. Take a look and give me your thoughts.

Tree

It has the following pros and cons:

Pros:
- 12% cast speed vs 4%
- 35% es recharge rate vs 20%
- 7% mov speed vs 3%
- 196% max es vs 141% (melding node + Energy from Within jewel = game changer)
- 33% max mana vs 10%
- 1% max lightning res vs none

Cons:
- 120% increased armor vs 148%
- 125% mana regen vs 150%
- 10.3% es regen vs 11.1%
- 15% all res vs 35%
- 5 jewels vs 6

Everything else is the same.

I figured that the losses are meaningless for several reasons.

- Armor is useless for this specific build.
- Mana regen is automatically evened out with a higher max mana.
- One less jewel slot is on less jewel slot. Nothing to add.
- -20% all res can be EASILY adjusted on your gears.

The most significant loss would be the 0.8% ES regen. But more max es = more regen anyway so it cancels out and it even gives a better regen.

Now the pros makes a world of difference. More cast speed means faster cursing aka faster clear. 1% lightning res is sweet because we all know shock/freeze is the most dangerous ailment to be affected by. And finally, the overwhelming increase in max ES is undoubtedly a seller.
Last edited by gtrans on Oct 9, 2015, 6:40:24 PM
"
no1337 wrote:
Nice build,

turn on RF and you can go for -171 fire resis and deal more damage than party members.

However, I like this support thing. Did you pick up the node for extra curse?

NL

Righteous Fire doesn't work with Chaos Inoculation. I did pick up all 3 curse wheels (look at the link lower in this post). I haven't considered modifying the build to do damage AND curse, but it may be something I try during the next major set of leagues.

"
xweaklingx wrote:
Sirdaneth,

Your dedication to me in your thread was very touching. I appreciate all the support my guild members and ex-guild members have shown me over the past few months during this difficult time. I wish you all the best with your build and future builds and I want you to know you always have a spot in my in game family ( guild ).

Best wishes and thanks,

xWeaklingx

Thank you for being a good friend. It's nice to see you back.

"
gtrans wrote:

Hi, I studied your tree closely and I came up with another tree that is somewhat more efficient. Take a look and give me your thoughts.

Fantastic analysis, thank you for your insight! Let me show you my new tree and then give you my thoughts.
The new Tree: https://goo.gl/dRK9Hk

I had 1 skill point unused previously. I bypassed the block nodes and mana inc/cost nodes to free up 3 points, and then put all 4 of these into the melding wheel.
Gained: 40% increased maximum energy shield
Lost: 6% block, 8% elemental damage, 10% max mana, 6% reduced mana cost, 50% increased defense from equipped shield, 10% increased melee phys while holding shield.

Essentially -6% block for 40% max ES, which with my current gear translates to +665 ES and +98 ES/sec regen, for totals of 10885 ES and 1604 ES/sec regen. WORTH!

You didn't bypass the block nodes, but you lead me to take a hard look at my tree. Keep in mind I am comparing my new tree to your suggestions, so together we have come up with something better than both options. Here are the changes I didn't make.

The Nimbleness wheel, while adding a nice 12% cast speed and 4% move speed, comes at a cost of 3 skill points, or the Quick Recovery wheel (0.8% ES regen [about 87/sec] and 6% ES because it is next to an Energy From within jewel). This would dip heavy into the core of what this build does (regenerate ES). The faster application of curses would provide minimal bonus since weak monsters die fast, and hard ones give you plenty of time to get your curses off. I do, however, see a nice mobility advantage in being able to dodge faster between casts.

The 32% max ES from Unnatural calm wheel comes at the cost of 4 skill points, so I'll say 1 jewel socket and 12% elemental resist (the 4 skill points I would move first). With my crappiest jewel (8% max ES, 9% ele res) that would total 21% ele resist, and 8% max ES. So 24% max ES gained at a loss of 21% ele resist. While this could be made up for with better gear, it would greatly increase the cost of gear. High ES gear gets exponentially more expensive once the resists start looking good, and I've made it a point to keep the required gear cheap.

Dreamer node just isn't necessary, the build has 27.5/sec regen without the mana nodes it had before.

I'll update the guide tomorrow with the changes, along with jewel selection and placement.
Hi again. I looked at your new tree and I think it is very good. I completely agree on keeping Quick Recovery and use a 2nd Energy from Within unique jewel. I switched the cast speed node for that. Although I still don't like the fact that you need to dip in the Templar area. Those nodes are very inefficient imho and you can probably find much better alternatives. You are using 8 points to get:

- 15% max ES
- 20% all resist

I would rather use 9 points to use this Tree and get:

- 45% max ES
- 6% cold/lightning resist and 14% fire
- 1% max lightning res
- 1% max fire res
- 6% block chance
- 50% increased defenses from shield (this effectively DOUBLES the ES from your shield. Very important that you understand that. A 250 ES shield is translated to 375 ES.)

Ultimately, you are only losing: 14% lightning/cold resistances and 6% fire.

We will be using a 3rd Energy from Within to transform the life for ES. On the slip side, you gain much more defenses generally speaking.
Last edited by gtrans on Oct 12, 2015, 4:26:12 PM
"
gtrans wrote:
Hi again. I looked at your new tree and I think it is very good. I completely agree on keeping Quick Recovery and use a 2nd Energy from Within unique jewel. I switched the cast speed node for that. Although I still don't like the fact that you need to dip in the Templar area. Those nodes are very inefficient imho and you can probably find much better alternatives. You are using 8 points to get:

- 15% max ES
- 20% all resist

I would rather use 9 points to use this Tree and get:

- 45% max ES
- 6% cold/lightning resist and 14% fire
- 1% max lightning res
- 1% max fire res
- 6% block chance
- 50% increased defenses from shield (this effectively DOUBLES the ES from your shield. Very important that you understand that. A 250 ES shield is translated to 375 ES.)

Ultimately, you are only losing: 14% lightning/cold resistances and 6% fire.

We will be using a 3rd Energy from Within to transform the life for ES. On the slip side, you gain much more defenses generally speaking.

You posted this in the middle of me updating the guide lol!

Here are my thoughts.

My current selection gives:
87% total resistance (29% ele resist [20 from tree 9 from jewel slot])
29% max ES (15 from tree, 6 from int, 8 from jewel slot)
4% cast speed (light of divinity)
(I forgot to click light of divinity, but it is in use on character)

Shifting around my third Energy From within to the new optimal spot near Barbarism, I get from your setup:
32% total resistance (6 ele resist, 8 fire resist)
52% max ES (30 from nodes, 9 from EfW jewel moved to Barbarism, 2 from int, 50% shield defense equates to 11)
6% block chance
1% max fire and lightning resist

So the trade is:
-4% cast speed
-55% total resistance (-23 light/cold, -15 fire)
+23% max ES (roughly 430 ES and 63/sec Regen)
+6% block
+1 max fire/light resist

You are right in saying this is better defensively. Using my current gear, total ele resists would go to 124/74/79. This could easily be fixed by getting a better balance of resists on gear.

The cost of gear would go up for people looking for maximum frugality.
You leave yourself open to resist lowering curses and lowered resistance on maps, but overall I think it would be fine. I'll try it out when I get a chance and update accordingly.
You can always run purity of elements. Coupled with discipline, you have just enough mana to run clarity and spam you curses.

Vitality is really overkill imo. Also you can focus more on tri res on jewelry and focus on very high es on armor, that way it wont cost you a thing to search such a few stat demand. ex: tri res 30%+ ring with anything else.
Last edited by gtrans on Oct 12, 2015, 8:13:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info