Why do people always think God = religion?

And furthermore that anyone who talks to God is crazy just because they don't have physical proof of a spiritual Being?

I normally avoid conversations like this, but I'd like to understand where people are coming from.

I'm also wondering why people always jump to hate anyone who even mentions the name of God or The Holy Ghost, etc etc, rather than try to understand where they are coming from?

Also, this really shouldn't be a discussion about religion, as God is not one, but rather about a Person and why so many people have such strong pre-defined judgments towards this Person without ever even knowing Him.

I want to understand.

Disclaimer; please do not hate me for asking questions, as the purpose in making this thread is to understand why others in the past have chosen to hate me based on many assumptions. I would think it'd make sense that if God really wasn't real or if someone actually did think I was crazy they could be the "bigger person" and choose not to hate me and instead at least be nice when reacting to things I say or do. From experience it seems people can be tolerant with any other topic, even vulgar ones or racism, but when it comes to God it's like you flipped their hate switch and they cannot control themselves anymore.

Again I just want to understand...
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Last bumped on Oct 25, 2017, 10:43:20 PM
Which god are you referring to?
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Which god are you referring to?

The only One associated with the Holy Ghost. (Or otherwise the Holy Ghost)
Last edited by FriendlyGamerGuy on Sep 21, 2015, 6:14:36 AM
Is that the one in the Qu'ran, Talmud (awkwardly not the Torah though), or the Christian Bible?

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

"
Is that the one in the Qu'ran, Talmud (awkwardly not the Torah though), or the Christian Bible?

I'm referring to the One in the KJV Bible, which yes, is usually used by Christians, however I am not a Christian.
Well that clears up any confusion I had.

"

Those are, collectively, the God of Abraham.

As for why people hate on those who express religious faith, particularly of the Christian variety, this is my observation:

It is fashionable to assume a mantle of intellectual superiority over "superstitious" people who believe in the "Big Sky Daddy." I know this, because I used to be in the snotty, Militant Atheist camp, until I realized how immature and unproductive that point of view was. You read comments on videos and threads, even hear the teamspeak chat on PoE gameplay vids, and it's full of hateful derision toward people of faith.

The sad thing is, as an agnostic (since I cannot disprove the existence of God, any more than anyone can prove to me that He exists), I would much rather share the company of a sincere Christian than those followers of the New Faith of No Faith. A sincere Christian hates no one (not even Gays). He knows it is his duty to love his fellow man as himself, and he follows the Word of God (as he sees it) not out of fear of punishment for any failure to do so, but because he loves God.

Meanwhile, the "intellectuals" who sneer and snigger conveniently forget the other tenets of their latter-day social construct, which is supposed to include a respect for diversity. That should include respect for the cultural beliefs of others, even if their beliefs are boring, old, repressive Christianity, and not something more exotic like Islam, which still gets all kinds of passes for its prescribed excesses.

Yes, there are plenty of obnoxious Christians, who, given slightly different circumstances, could as easily be in the MA camp, since their beliefs are more a form of tribalism akin to that of those who mock them for their beliefs. "Holier-Than-Thou" is a very real attitude, but both camps suffer from it, in varying degrees.

Remember: A sincere Christian loves you and wants what they think God wants for you. An honest non-believer acknowledges that, however unlikely it seems on the face of it, the existence of God cannot be disproven, and allows for the fact that, for many, Christianity is the moral culture which shapes their lives and gives them comfort and community, whether God is there, or not.

Everyone else in either camp is just a tribal troll, seeking a false sense of moral or intellectual superiority. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:

Everyone else in either camp is just a tribal troll, seeking a false sense of moral or intellectual superiority. ='[.]'=

Little bit of a mean generalisation there, Ray. Some people don't get a lot of choice in the beliefs they are allowed to have, either through family or culture - or sometimes even peer groups.

Anyways - what makes a Christian, or a Jew, or a Muslim more sincere than another? For the most part, they are required by their particular faith/denomination to believe a specific set of things. Depending on circumstances, those things may be ones that you (or I, or Vibe) disagree with. Does your judgement that those beliefs are wrong make them insincere?

I quite like Vibe's idea. He is choosing to believe and put his faith in his God without the annoying need to subscribe to a whole bunch of other things that may go along with it.

It's a little confusing for others, sure, but I don't envisage a lot of situations where you'd have to explain it.

Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Sep 21, 2015, 8:00:47 AM
My main issue is religion rather than the belief in god itself, and also the use of god as a means to justify whatever you need to justify.

With tens, if not hundreds or thousands of different religions throughout history, the many divisions inside each of them, and the centuries of changes in each of them, it is hard to believe that any one of them can be true to any god(s) they are supposed to represent.
Let's focus on the Catholic church : the religion is almost two millenia old. There have been lots of sources for the Bible, so the Church decided which to keep and which to leave out. Multiple times. Plus, many of the translations were made by biased sources, the texts have been changed with time, etc...
Add to that the political power given by any religious organization, obscurantism, etc...
And I'm not even talking about stuff that goes against science.

=> I can't trust any religious organization of any sort. If someone is coming to tell me what to believe, I can be certain that there's someone who is wanting to use me (maybe even the guy trying to convert me).

Religion is very often used to avoid needing to think about certain things by oneself. Let's take catholicism, again : Mary is supposed to have been a virgin at the time she had Jesus. This goes against any scientific study you could ever possibly make. And instead of admitting that Mary may (I'm not even saying that's for sure) have had sex with Joseph, leading to the birth of Jesus, a lot of believers will just blindly believe the Bible, because it's been written in that book, and consider anyone saying it may not be true as heretics.

=> Religion is a way of not being responsible for your beliefs. "What I'm saying is horrible? Hey, it's written in the Bible, you heretic!"

I also hate how obscurantist some religious folk can be.

Now, I have nothing to say against anyone who is believing in any god of any kind, as long as that person isn't gullibly drinking the words from someone else.

I have more respect in someone saying "I don't know" than one saying "what's written in this moldy old book is true".

PS : I'm an atheist. I don't believe there's a sentient god. I believe that the thing closest to a god is the universe/multiverse, but it has no will so cannot be called a god.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzj7Wg4DAbs&feature=youtu.be
This video talks about how our society is based on fictional constructs.
I dont think he went far enough with it, though. I see 2 distinct forms of intelligence; 1 based on objective reality, and the other based on influencing other entities though the fictional constructs of man.
Influence itself is neither good nor bad, like all tools, it is how they are used and for what purposes.
Personally though, i really do see the engineers and scientists as being on a higher level. No amount of influence will advance mankind. But on the otherside of the token, in modern society it's not enough to JUST have skills dealing with objective reality. You must be 'allowed' to produce. You must have the resources to construct. And you must have the advertising to distribute. All of which require a tightrope walk on the threads of man-made fictional constructs.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info