Chaos colour - make up your mind

One of the important things about this sort of game is being able to tell what kind of damage attacks do on sight. Act 4 threw that right out the window, but in general it was

Fire - Orange
Lightning - Blue
Cold - Pale blue
Chaos - Green

This is visible from poison arrow, desecrate, viper strike, chaos EK, the poison explosion from strongboxes and the dom trio, the poison bombs in the sewers and the chaos projectiles from the throwers.

Recently the chaos effects have tended towards purple - chaos storm, chaos golems and their attacks, bond of chaos and Maligaro's bombs + desecrate.

Please be consistent, this half and half approach makes no sense.

Edit: forgot Viper Strike is also green
Last edited by Hemmingfish on Aug 11, 2015, 9:32:54 PM
imo the whole colour system is a mess, they should have stuck to

fire = red

lightning = blue

cold = green

chaos = purple

the idea that most people think cold is blue and thats an association... well theres no reason why thats a thing, theres a reason people think lightning is blue, because it is, why is cold blue? You have it aligned with green in the game as dex is green... its 1 choice made to make cold blue which only half makes sense but has turned the colour system into nonsense as a result and made the entire thing counter intuitive which goes directly against the reasoning for the 1 choice that has caused it all.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
imo the whole colour system is a mess, they should have stuck to

fire = red

lightning = blue

cold = green

chaos = purple

the idea that most people think cold is blue and thats an association... well theres no reason why thats a thing, theres a reason people think lightning is blue, because it is, why is cold blue? You have it aligned with green in the game as dex is green... its 1 choice made to make cold blue which only half makes sense but has turned the colour system into nonsense as a result and made the entire thing counter intuitive which goes directly against the reasoning for the 1 choice that has caused it all.

Most people would consider lightning to be white, not blue. Every photo I've seen is of it being white with a slight blue aura around it, where as ice is generally blue throughout and frozen/cold creatures typically become blue due to frostbite.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
Last edited by Nicholas_Steel on Aug 19, 2015, 2:08:02 PM
You want green cold >.>? That would look quite odd would it not?

Yeah the chaos is all over the place. I agree.
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
Gems' colors irrelevant here - it has technical limitation to associative colorification.

Look at the flasks:
Topaz flask - lightning - yellow
Sapphire - cold - blue
Ruby - fire - red
Amethyst - chaos - purple

I think those analogies is ok, except Chaos, which maybe will be more distinctive in green, BUT i like some purple effects, like rain etc. But we got greeny Quicksilver flask...
FilterBlast - a web-hub with up-to-date item filters and extra features
https://filterblast.xyz
Last edited by Dissolator on Aug 28, 2015, 3:17:26 AM
All you guys are wrong. Everything should have been done like this:

Primary colors.

Fire and str = red
Lightning and dex = yellow
Cold and int = blue.
Chaos = black.
Hardcore
"
Zaorish_9 wrote:
All you guys are wrong. Everything should have been done like this:

Primary colors.

Fire and str = red
Lightning and dex = yellow
Cold and int = blue.
Chaos = black.

I agree, except Chaos Damage being purple instead of black would be easier to see since black would be tougher to see in dark areas of the game.
When game developers ignore the criticism that would improve their game, the game fails.
Just because a game receives a great amount of praise vs. only a small amount of criticism
does not mean to call it a day and make a foolish misplaced assumption that it is perfect.
(me)
Last edited by HeavyMetalGear on Aug 31, 2015, 2:43:52 AM
Viper Strike is green?
Spoiler

Chaos itself is mostly visualised in purple. The "problem" is, that poison is not a damage type of its own but a subtype of chaos. Poison is mostly green. So we have two colours for one damage type.
But overall, it looks quite consistent and fine to me. Even passives fitting in this colour scheme:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/File:Damage_Over_Time_passive_icon.png
Purple for the "energetic" chaos stuff, green for poison/nature-related.
Hi

Lol I was thinking that chaos could be all the colours, constantly shifting.

Otherwise I had no issue with chaos being purply hot pink and poison being a cousin of chaos so its green.

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
"
Russell wrote:
You want green cold >.>? That would look quite odd would it not?

not really, no more odd than yellow lightning. You have topaz flasks, topaz rings, both lightning, lightning being int aligned, lightning actually being blue, wrath is blue, arc is blue, and then citrine amulets that are yellow which are... strength dex hybrid? because green + red = yellow...

So yes cold being green is not obvious, neither is lightning being yellow, but if you had made cold green then all your stat/element alignments would have made sense and the game would be far more intuative for people colour wise once you understood that 1 colour alignment that wasnt obvious, you have avoided green cold but managed to have yellow lightning which is just as bad by itself but also completely messes up the entire system, how is that a better choice?

Diablo 3 got one thing very right, they forbid green fire, blue fire, red lightning etc. Anywhere they used fire damage or anything fire related they made it red, poison green etc so that people would be able to understand what damage was from what element just by looking at it. In this game elemental damage is much more important to get to grips with as its not mitigated by all resist x (armour/10) which is essentially how you deal with everything in D3, you have cold aligned with dex, lightning with int, fire with strength, jade, amber, lapis, but then it just all goes all over the place, you dont have an emerald flask for cold you have a saphire flask, its just all wrong, the colour coordination stops making sense and you lose a visual way to make that side of the game intuitive as a result. In a game that struggles to make sense to new players thats not good imo.

"

Most people would consider lightning to be white, not blue. Every photo I've seen is of it being white with a slight blue aura around it, where as ice is generally blue throughout and frozen/cold creatures typically become blue due to frostbite.

most people consider lightning to be white? I dont think they do, is the arc skill in this game white ya because thats how we all think lightning is? No its blue. Is snow blue? no its white. If fire is bright enough it goes white, any light based colour will go to white with enough intensity because thats the way light works in nature as its never pure enough to just be 1 exact frequency.

Ice is not generally blue, ice is generally white

Spoiler

if ice looks blue its because its reflecting the light from the sky, which is blue, while it absorbs red. The sky is blue because light from the sun is passing through ozone and other gases in the atmosphere, and ozone is a blue gas, it slightly filters out the other colours, water in the atmosphere filters out red. Electric discharge is blue because electric discharge creates ozone, a blue gas, thats why electricity is actually seen blue, lightning is actually blue, ice is not its generally white and absorbs red, so its essentially white with a tint of 'not red' from its surroundings. Saying ice is blue is like saying chrome is blue because when you put chrome in the garden you see the blue sky mirrored in it. Water absorbs red light, thats why it often looks green or blue. It tends to look more blue than green because its also reflecting the colour of the sky, which is blue because ozone etc is blue, but water is just 'not red', that is its colour, a lack of red, as open to being green as blue but we live on a blue lit planet because of gases in our atmosphere.

Cold creatures dont become blue due to frostbite, frostbite is not the cause. Blood without oxygen is blue, if you look at your arms you can see blue blood viens running through your wrists, blood then becomes red when it is oxygenated because the oxygen is clinging to the iron in your blood and when iron oxidizes it goes an orange colour, which mixed into blue blood gives that deep red. When a creature is cold the body draws the red, oxygenated blood vessels away from the surface of the skin so that the blood doesnt go cold and become a cooling system as its pumped around your body, this removes a certain amount of the reddish pigment from the skin. If you get very cold you go more blue than you normally are ending up looking green, yes, you also go more blue than you normally are if you choke on a piece of chicken while standing somewhere very hot, lack of oxygen causes creatures blood to go blue regardless of temperature because blood without oxygen in it is blue. Its not a property of frostbite as a condition, frostbite is as likely to look green as blue because your skin has yellow/brown pigment and then blue blood running through it which makes green, frostbite then goes black and red as oxygenated blood goes back into the area.

I dont see how blue is technically more cold than lightning at all, that just doesnt work in scientific real world terms surely? Explain to me how lightning is yellow? Lightning being yellow is further from sense than cold being green, and also comes with a whole range of colour coordination problems for the game which green cold doesnt. Thats how I feel about it, as I said, 1 decision to avoid a non obvious colour match up that would have made sense of the colours in the game that has resulted in a non obvious colour match up and has also confused the colours in the game, sacrificing a bad+good choice to make a bad+bad choice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info