Map drops - assessment of 2.0.0, and changes coming in 2.0.2

"
This is partially due to level 74 being where the harder mods kick in. The harder mods can be discouraging. However, the shaping of map drops also is a big factor in the divide between 73 and 74.

I really hope you guys don't actually believe this. We've been rolling maps at level 73, 74, and 75 with any and all mods (chiseled) and we haven't had much of anything drop. It has nothing to do with the difficulty of content.

We have one 77 map and two 76's. And we don't run them. Why? Because we can't afford to. Whenever we do we do not get our currency and/or maps back in return.
Last edited by Sentine1 on Aug 11, 2015, 11:20:47 PM
"
Qarl wrote:
Over three million maps are being run each week.

“path of exile playerbase runs 3 million maps per week" factoid actualy just statistical error. path of exile playerbase runs 500000 maps per week. Mapper Georg, who lives in cave & runss over 200,000 each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted
FYI: It's not a fantasy story, it's a cosmic horror story.
"
Jiman wrote:
The issues that you talk about in your post everything that was said to you in the Beta. This isnt new information revealed to you by a huge amount of data, you knew this already so please do not BS us. What you did is simply have the drop rate of maps be very very low to force players to play in the league for a longer period of time and prevent players from becoming bored.

This is very obvious. You are already experimenting with mid league game play changes with how you adjusted the WarBands as well to try to keep interest continual, and imo that isnt a bad thing. However when you apply this type of forced game play adjustments to integral mechanics, you are going to start seeing problems.

Please, do not force map drop rates unless you are going to have a direct and up front approach to it. Otherwise you are just going to piss off your player base.

Interesting take. I still dont know why there is a cap on maps. Like endless would prevent boredom. Because even if you had all mirrored gear say like 95 maps is your bane.

One thing for sure - making a player with a full decent kit run content to easy for them 90% of the time doesnt do it
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Aug 11, 2015, 11:30:03 PM
"
Qarl wrote:
We do also see more hoarding of maps in this level range, where players often choose to not run these maps (we assume until they improve their character).

As someone who has levelled to 100, I would like to put forth that "hoarding" maps is less about waiting for your character to "improve" and more about running that map when you need it most. Since the exp gains get smaller as you level higher the later you run these maps the more beneficial they become.
Of course it could be for other reasons, or many. I simply wanted to suggest there were other factors at play.

EDIT: I'm personally hoarding maps because I suspected if I was patient we would see improvements to the drop rate of higher-tier maps.
IGN: Victory_Or_Sovngarde
It's not a 13 week development cycle, it's a 13 week supporter-pack cycle.
You can play any build you want, as long as it's the current meta.
Last edited by Ashen_Shugar_IV on Aug 12, 2015, 2:04:03 AM
The OP points to 74 maps as a key problem spot. I believe my 2:1 formula suggestion has maximum impact at or around that maplevel and should be seriously considered as a possible solution.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Great news. The 73 cliff is very very notciable, and while i agree there should be a cliff, it should be significantly higher. It sounds likg GGG is agreeing, which is awesome.

Other than that softening/moving that cliff, though, The thing I want most, is Zana's daily map run to be relevant again. Even raising it a few levels to a similar "usefulness" level pre 2.0 would be very, very welcome and psychologically helpful for player happiness and player retention, I think.
Building a base of lower maps and working your way up slowly in no way 'reduces variance' of the map drops. Map drops are the same in a 74+ maps whether you have 1 or 1000 of them.

Sure, slowly building that base and working up will help you sustain the map level you built up to for a longer period of time. However, you still had to run hundreds of maps that were low level to get to that point. This is statistically no different than running your highest level map and resetting to the lower maps to get to that level again repeatedly. You end up with the same exact amount in the end.

The common hardcore method of using low level maps and working their way up is just a direct effect of out-leveling and out-gearing the content to stay safe-- The same thing HC players do throughout the entire game. HC players don't mind this because the play style of trivializing content to stay alive is the norm for them.

Is data rly enogh to balance around it? I think a key thing u missed is the problem that LOWLVL maps dropp in 79+ I have never felt a more frustrating feeling in Poe then getting 68-75 maps in a 80-82 map it feels worse then eteranL/exalting I hope a person that actually plays the game @GGG can tell u more about it its disgusting feeling.
Every Class 100
Discord Alex22#8812 if u cant catch me online in Poe
Last edited by Fyndel on Aug 11, 2015, 11:37:28 PM
"
db183 wrote:
Building a base of lower maps and working your way up slowly in no way 'reduces variance' of the map drops. Map drops are the same in a 74+ maps whether you have 1 or 1000 of them.

Sure, slowly building that base and working up will help you sustain the map level you built up to for a longer period of time. However, you still had to run hundreds of maps that were low level to get to that point. This is statistically no different than running your highest level map and resetting to the lower maps to get to that level again repeatedly. You end up with the same exact amount in the end.

The common hardcore method of using low level maps and working their way up is just a direct effect of out-leveling and out-gearing the content to stay safe-- The same thing HC players do throughout the entire game. HC players don't mind this because the play style of trivializing content to stay alive is the norm for them.

Thank you for having a fucking brain
"
Ismaell wrote:
"
Haderach99 wrote:

Uhhh. Qarl. Are you saying you will cater to these people who exaggerate like this?

I sure after that HUGE sample size of a few 78 maps (at 80-100 quant..what? your highest map level and you do crap maps? I've done maps up to 170%...in HC to try to maintain a map pool). he completely ran out of maps and had to go back to Merc dried lakes to farm 68 maps.

And then the streamer thing again. Just stop it.

Like you said dedicated players in Tempest were able to reduce the variance and had less effect from the map changes. This person claim he really, really, really wanted to level and map but obviously was missing something (methodology for one) to do it. But the methods are there.

Don't cater to people like this.

170% Quantity means there were either Vaal Orbs at play, or you ran the additional 40% quantity mods for 10 chaos per map. Especially now with the new map mods that are absolute shit for quantity.. Assuming a level 7 Zana, you've got 7% there, 15% from Fragments (3C per map) then 40% from Onslaught (10C per map.) 62%, so 108% quantity maps.. 2 Chaos to chisel the map, 3 chaos for fragments, 10 chaos for onslaught. A few chaos to roll it, then you have to Vaal Orb the shit too and pray to RNGesus that your map isn't bricked?

What the actual fuck, pal? You think this shit is a step in the right direction? People not being able to play a fast-paced ARPG the way they want to, and instead having to do some slow as shit 5K DPS tank build to slowly push through near-impossible maps, after first weaving through a mess of bullshit to acquire the currency to even activate the fucking map?

I understand you think your dick is huge and all because you ran hard maps on Hardcore, but again, not everyone cares about fucking loot. 170% quantity IS THE REWARD for running the difficult map, you get 170% MORE SHIT than running the map white would give. Finding the sweet zone - be it 50%, 70%, or 100% quantity is called efficiency - maximizing XP per hour and Loot per hour, or one or solely the other based on personal preference. That's playing a fucking game the way you want to play it, being able to play the build that you enjoy playing. Not being pigeonholed into playing fucking Flame Totem, or some other OP-for-this-league bullshit caster build, because distance is the only effective defence in this imbalanced game.

Also because you're a fucking idiot - Running 170% quantity maps on HC, as flame totem. Damn. Was there a lot of personal, player skill involved? Were you weaving in and out, fucking up and down between incoming spells? Or were you just placing totems at doorways, and kiting a few mobs at a time down? Playing such a brutal, face-crunching ARPG in the slowest, pussiest way possible. You think that is what the playerbase truly wants? Fucking really? A difficult map is fun here and there, but by fuck do they get boring after a short amount of time.

ROFL. Ladies and gentlemen, the player base that GGG is going to cater to.

And btw after all is said and done the highest quant map I entered with all the mods was around 187%. It was vaaled and I added frags to it.

And you are not very observant. I only use flame totem on specific boss fights. I'm actually in the face of every mob I kill with this spec. Oh w/e. Someone who uses swears and insults to try to win internet arguments. Look at my signature and figure out what you are.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info