Minion Speed

Having played through normal and cruel with out this gem attached to my zombies, I finally got the right slots and attached to my zombies in merciless.

Sadly I noticed to substantive difference with my zombies. This gem seems to be useless, sure my zombies follow me around faster, but that was not a real problem before.

I would use this gem if it caused my zombies to attack faster or was changed into a different minion gem (maybe one to help with survivability granting armor or resist), but until then I have to say I have not run into a more useless Gem in the entire game.

I find it to be quite useful on the Skeletons but that's about it. A quality Zombie gem will give them all the speed they would need.
IGN: Alfrost, Racthoh, The_Crimson
Standard Rings and Amulets: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/960556
Almost as exciting as Additional Accuracy.

I think the purpose of this gem is to be a boogum in the quest reward screens, where you have to be ever vigilant or you might accidentally take this instead of something better. (Including nothing, as inventory space is better than this.)
Why does this gem have a 150% multiplier? The benefit it provides is so niche and does so little for the overall power of the skill it supports that I don't see why it needs any downside beyond taking up a socket (already enough of a downside to stop most people using it).
skill is poorly designed.

we already have % move speed bonus as gem quality bonuses for spectres and zombies.
so useless there because zombies and spectres already fast.

the only way gem is useful is on dominated minions. but then dominating blow already has problems of its owns and requires its own supports, plus the bonus speed increase isnt even all that amazing.

in short, either move speed should be greatly increased to accommodate dominated minions, or retire this gem altogether, making a few +minion speed tree nodes instead (because dominated minions are pretty niche)

PS. not to mention the crazy mana multiplier. dom. blow is already costing a boatload, and the cost probably makes all the melee guys using d.b. laugh at this gem in disgust
Last edited by grepman on Jul 10, 2013, 1:09:41 PM
With the new Flesh Offering, that affect all the minions with a greater buff to atk e cast speed in addition to speed, this Support gem is even more useless and expensive (talking about mana).
It needs a complete redesign or just take it out form the game.

If it was something like: increase % mov speed AND add x evasion plus, maybe, spell dodge to minions (let's call it Minion Agility) it could have some more utility and more worth the 150% mana multiplier.
the skill does need a buff. It does not fit in the current build. With many things granting seemingly a more effective skill effect.
Please help this skill out. As it has been stated many times, simply giving movement speed is not really a strong enough buff to minions to be worth using. The real issue is that when you're a summoner you either need your minions to be stronger or tankier (generally on the damage end), and minion life just doesn't really fit in there. Given the addition of flesh offering, haste aura movement speed, and quality on some of the gems, the role of this gem seems to have diminished. I like the idea of giving minions attack speed on this gem as well. It makes complete sense. Just don't make it more than faster attacks and then it would give us a nice decision of if the movement speed + attack speed is worth it.

With this change, I definitely think this gem would appeal to many people and let people have a speedy army without feeling like they're wasting the potential damage of their minions.
@Moylin (Beyond)
Last edited by Avelice on Aug 30, 2014, 4:15:05 AM
Can someone give the new stats for this gem at level 20?

just to get an idea of how attack + Cast speed scales, and if its a better/worse option than the generic attack speed supports like faster casting, faster attacks, multistrike, spell echo

(although I suppose that would make for some interesting zombies/spectres if you used all of them).
Very nice minion support gem since 2.0, the attack / cast speed really makes a difference. The movement speed is nice too though, especially on skeletons.

The only annoying thing is that the attack and cast speed do not show in the minion tooltip, while the movement speed does. A fix to that would be appreciated.

"
Asmosis wrote:
Can someone give the new stats for this gem at level 20?

just to get an idea of how attack + Cast speed scales

I have a lvl 18, and it gives 42% movement speed and 18% attack and cast speed.
Last edited by Miathan51 on Jul 29, 2015, 8:20:39 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info