[2.0] Double Crit Freezing Pulse (Budget and Beginner Friendly!)

Hi, posting my FP build. I played it on Warbands and as of making this guide am level 92. This build uses two Freezing Pulse set ups, one for single target and one for multi target and stacks lots of projectile speed to make Freezing Pulse cover the screen. For defenses the build hopes to freeze everything it touches and everything it can't freeze it wears down with hit and run tactics, surviving many big hits with a large effective health pool and sustaining with ES regen and surgeon flasks.

This build can be done as a Witch, Shadow, or Templar.

Play this build if you like:
That sound when you crit with a spell
That sound when you kill a frozen enemy
Doing lots of damage at medium range
Freezing everything on the screen
The responsive feel of a spell with 0.65 second base cast time

Consider another build if you:
Want to be able to run reflect maps without gimping your damage (consider a Freezing Pulse totems build, IIRC Pohx made a guide for this patch)
Want to be effective against bosses at super long range (consider an Ice Spear build)
Want to be tanky (consider a non-crit Arctic Breath build)
Want to be able to MF or Cull with just a few gear swaps (consider non-crit Ball Lightning)
Want a rock-solid HC build

Stats Screenshots
Spoiler

Life and ES:

5L GMP DPS (herald of ice, 6 power charges, level 20 Freezing Pulse):
4L DPS (herald of ice, 6 power charges, level 21 Freezing Pulse):

Note: Just posted these by popular request. I was at less than half this tooltip dps for a long time and still doing well in medium-level maps. Also remember the tooltip for Freezing Pulse lies a little bit because the projectile loses damage as it travels.

Tree
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwMAAx4EswVCBx4I9A3RDkgRDxEtEZYWbxa_FvMXVBpsGyUc3B0UH0EfxyBuIoEi9CSqJjwmlSt4LJwtiy-dMtE26TvjQZZE-0VHRZ1JUUmxTC1Ms1AwUEJRdFM1U1JT1FVLVkpXK13yYeJjQ2QJZJ1qQ2wLbRlwUnDVfIN_xoKbidOKKIw2jYKOPI5kjumPGo_6kyeVLpo7muCeoZ8BoS-iAKKjppmus7b6vYK-isBUwGbDCdAf0PXR5NWm18_ZW9te34rfsOFz42rkIukC6-7r9e0874jv6_DV8h33pvk3-tL-sw==?accountName=mistermoo33&characterName=TyIsAlwaysCold

Notes on the tree: Prioritize getting to the clusters of notables in Shadow and Templar and save going for the crit notes for later in the game, like 70+. In particular, I delay the crit cluster north of templar (along with that life/chaos wheel) for late merciless when the crit multiplier and the chaos resistance become more important. Also, I personally didn't get the power charge node near shadow until 91.

Gear
Spoiler

Notes about gear: When buying wands, I look for high crit chance and high projectile speed, and then one or two other useful mods like added cold to spells, spell damage, cast speed and crit multiplier. The reason we go for wands over daggers is the projectile speed which is only available on wands and is not an otherwise easily available stat. It also saves us from having to use faster projectiles on our Freezing Pulse setups.

For the chest piece, it's useful to get a 5L evasion/ES chest because it makes it much easier to color for Freezing Pulse which generally wants multiple green links.

For the amulet and rings you want to try to get offensive stats as they are some of the few body armour pieces that can give offensive stats for casters since you can't get cast speed from gloves like attacking builds can get attack speed.

The unique I am using right now is Geofri's and would consider The Vertex to be a suitable replacement but it's not nearly as cheap. See the uniques spoiler for other uniques worth considering.

Links
Spoiler
Single Target (in helm): Freezing Pulse - Added Cold Damage - Spell Echo - Cold Penetration
Multi-Target (in chest): Freezing Pulse - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Power Charge on Critical - Spell Echo - Cold Penetration
Flame Dash - Elemental Weakness / Frostbite - Faster Casting
Herald of Ice - Arctic Armour - Clarity - [Optional Enlighten]
Flame Golem

Notes about Links: If you are rich it's preferable to have level 4 corrupted empower in the 4L instead of Added Cold, but the latter gets the job done. For the other utility skills, I use Elemental Weakness as my curse because I do a lot of partying, Flame Dash as my mobility skill because it's so responsive, and Flame Golem as my golem because it's free damage. For mana reservation, I use Herald of Ice and Arctic Armour almost all the time. Clarity is used in maps without minus/no regen. I use Purity of Elements in maps with Elemental Weakness instead of either Herald or Arctic Armour. Herald of Thunder is perfectly viable but I don't use it because I don't think it's worth the mana with how much I've invested in cold damage specifically with the cold pen gems and the heart of cold wheel at the top of the skill tree.

Uniques
Spoiler
I know a lot of people like uniques. Though I am not using many, some to consider besides Geofri's are:
- Mutewind Whispersteps: Adds cold damage to spells and gives crit chance. Not amazing late game because of only 20% movement speed and no health or energy shield but definitely a good choice.
- Victario's Acuity: Gives projectile speed and projectile damage and the chance to gain charges off kills. I have not tried this because of the price tag and because I really like my amulet but potentially allows you to skip PCoC on the chest FP link.
- Voidbringers: A solid choice. I feel like if you're going voidbringers you should put the 4L Freezing Pulse set up in the gloves and get a better helm than Geofri's.
- Maligaro's Virtuosity / Shadows and Dust: Great choices for crit gloves for their critical strike multiplier but lacking in defensive stats and even pricier than voidbringers.
- The Vertex: A suitable replacement for Geofri's that gives tons of ES and can solve mana problems for your 4L, but lacks resistances and is a fair bit pricier. I like Geofri's because of the extra 60 total resistances.
Doryani's Invitation: Very strong choice, I will probably pick one up eventually but I'm waiting to get some great wands that I can craft cold leech onto so I can spec into ghost reaver.

Flasks
Spoiler

Notes about flasks: Seething Divine essential for emergencies, Surgeon's Eternal of Staunching for countering corrupting blood and puncture, Quicksilver of Heat makes freezing strongboxes doable, the 4th flask is a utility slot that can be replaced depending on the map mops and the Divine Mana Flask of Warding allows you to remove curses 5 times against annoying cursing enemies and in particular hexfont.

Bandits
Spoiler

My personal choices:
Normal - Oak
Cruel - Eramir
Merciless - Alira
I'd say all normal choices are viable and both Eramir and Alira are viable for cruel and merciless.

Videos

Jewels
Spoiler
Survival Secrets is a really nice jewel until maps. When looking for jewels, look for:
Cold Damage
Projectile Damage
Cast Speed
Cast Speed while dual wielding
Spell Damage while dual wielding
Critical Strike chance with cold skills
Critical Strike multiplier
Projectile Speed (lesser priority)
% Life

My Jewels:

Maps
Spoiler

Map Mod - How to approach
Less/No Regen - Disable clarity. Optionally run an extra mana flask or swap in mana leech for cold pen in the multi-target setup.
Elemental Weakness - Overcap or do what I do and run Purity of Elements instead of Herald of Ice.
Blood Magic - Disable all mana reservation, swap mana flask for life flask, run enduring cry and rejuvenation totem.
Elemental Reflect - Skip it. Chaos the map, sell it, or trade it to a friend. If you are adamant about doing ele reflect maps then I will tell you that what I do if for whatever reason I am running them is swap out FP, GMP and Cold Pen for a 19/20 EK, Pierce and Faster Casting and turn off Herald of Ice. Also I swap out my cold damage to spells wand for another one. As this is a huge hassle I just skip them instead, no big deal.
Humanoids / Ranged Enemies - Pretty dangerous, do not stop moving in these maps as archers and cannibals can hit hard and potentially before you can freeze them

Boss Tips
Merveil (Graveyard, Necropolis): Utility flask slot = surgeon's sapphire flask of heat, wait for her to lock herself into her long animations in both forms and then dps
Dominus (Residence): Utility flask = surgeon's topaz flask of grounding. Run in an arc around him as he uses his lightning spirits, dps him when he's not doing that and when you're not standing on frost totems. I recommend chaosing Residence if you roll extra projectiles as it makes it harder than twinned + overlord combined.
Animal Bosses (Village Ruin): Utility flask = granite of iron skin or an extra surgeon's eternal life flask. Separate the two bosses, get them both <10% and then swap in culling strike in one of the FP set ups and cull the ranged boss, then the melee boss. Against the ranged boss only dps after he has used his vaal rain of arrows and never use flame dash unless you get hit by vaal rain of arrows as if you are out of charges when you get hit you are liable to die.
Arbiter (Academy): Utility flask = surgeon's eternal life flask. Swap out your worst jewel for one with corrupted implicit "You are immune to silence." Reroll extra projectiles and consider rerolling desecrated ground and burning as the first causes Arbiter to cover the room in tornados and the latter two make space on which to regen your energy shield hard to come by in the cramped boss room.
Totem (Volcano): Utility flask = surgeon's ruby or surgeon's eternal life flask, lure mini totems out of boss area, run in and dps, run away as mini totems angrily return, consider using tp scrolls to get back flask charges.

Maps whose bosses I advise skipping until you have no experience (in softcore) or until you are way overleveled (in hardcore): Desert, Jungle Valley, Orchard, Labyrinth, Torture Chamber, Thicket, Malformation
Last edited by mistermoo33 on Aug 16, 2015, 9:45:11 PM
Last bumped on Aug 5, 2016, 11:58:56 AM
nice guide, any notes to bandits?

Also, whats the highest level content you are able to make and what maps are to avoid. Any IIR options?
IGN: Mperor
What about a Void Battery? Could that work or do you need the projectile speed from rares?
Thanks for the guide. I can't wait to try it out.
IGN: Archet
Here's a thing for you to consider:

Herald of ice + curse on hit + assassin's mark = free power charges without pcoc, because when you shatter-kill packs, you curse them as hoi explosions go off, and then immediately gain power charges.

Obviously, doesn't work vs tough single bosses, unlike pcoc, but it certainly frees up a link in fpulse 5L.
"
opel65 wrote:
nice guide, any notes to bandits?

Also, whats the highest level content you are able to make and what maps are to avoid. Any IIR options?

Edited OP to include bandits, map notes and other stuff.

As for the highest level content, solo it's hard to say as I typically run high level (78+) maps with friends because it's hard to sustain a pool solo so we bring each other along for the XP and loot and just each contribute a chisel to lower the cost per person.

On IIR, I think it's not really suited to IIR but you could do it. The nature of IIR in the game is such that you really want to be stacking IIR and IIQ together for it to be worth it. That said, there are options. For trash mobs, you could run dual wield cameria's mauls on your weapon swap and/or put item rarity in the 5-link. For bosses, I find I can't find uses for all the sockets in my gear (hence the random Raise Spectre) so you could easily run a Flame Totem - Culling Strike - IIR setup somewhere.

"
bottlehead93 wrote:
What about a Void Battery? Could that work or do you need the projectile speed from rares?

Personally I value the projectile speed. Freezing Pulse loses damage as it travels so projectile speed increases damage in addition to making it travel crazy far. Also 2 void batteries would be ~35 ex on warbands and my entire character is not even worth 10 ex. Well, maybe it is but still 35 ex for just my weapon slots is a lot. If I had a ton of currency (like 35 ex) I'd try to get a crazy good +2/3 cold eclipse staff with caster stats, 6-link the staff and my chest, run faster projectiles in both 6 links and then spec out of the dual wield nodes and into Serpent Stance. 6-link in the staff would be the single target and it would be FP - Added Cold - SpEcho - Cold Pen - Empower - Faster Projectiles.
Last edited by mistermoo33 on Aug 6, 2015, 8:27:34 AM
What about LL and reflect?
It might be worth to try to switch spell echo for increased critical damage when facing certain bosses. Having spike damage instead of higher dps might be enough to still freeze some of them.
"
T_Reich wrote:
Here's a thing for you to consider:

Herald of ice + curse on hit + assassin's mark = free power charges without pcoc, because when you shatter-kill packs, you curse them as hoi explosions go off, and then immediately gain power charges.

Obviously, doesn't work vs tough single bosses, unlike pcoc, but it certainly frees up a link in fpulse 5L.

That's very interesting!

I too am going to try this guide, my FP witch is terribly wrong.
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
One questin

I'm following these tree and only have like 1.3k life at level 50

Are you basically mean't to stack up on ES because you take so little life nodes?
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info