A reality bending puzzle. (now with a video!)

Imagine you have 2 adjacent squares of equal sizes: x and y. X rotates about a stationary Y to circumnavigate it. How many times will X have rotated to return back to its initial position?

Seems simple? Think again.

https://youtu.be/VP8iKtaZW70
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Aug 6, 2015, 11:02:08 AM
Once.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"
Once.

If i told you otherwise, would it blow your mind?
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
For sure! I'm, like, totally intrigued.

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Assuming a relatively straightforward interpretation of "circumnavigate" as applied to squares, and that by "rotated" you're asking how many times X's rotation has gone passed through a full 360 degrees to it's original rotation, not anything to do with it's rotation around y, two.

X rotates 180 degrees each time it rotates around one of Y's corners. It's completed one full rotation back to it's original orientation by the time it's on the opposite side of Y from where it started, and completes the second as it returns to it's original position.

EDIT: crappy MS paint example. X is red, and has an arrow draw on it so you can see it's orientation. Red arrows show where/how it will move next. You can see it does two full rotations.

Not sure where the reality bending comes in?
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 3, 2015, 2:03:29 AM
But what if the square isn't a square.

What if it was a circle all along...
Halloween just isn't complete without pumpkin spiced pumpkin.
Last edited by RobbieL_GGG on Aug 3, 2015, 1:55:06 AM
1 or 2 rotations? Yes... Both are correct. But neither is correct alone. The real answer is once AND twice.

Imagine if you are the center square: from your perspective the rotating of the other square occurs only once.

If you are the rotating square: again it will appear as if youve only rotated once before you are back in your initial position.

But for an observer outside the orbit the squares, it will appear as if the rotating square made 2 full spins.

Rotation is a relative concept. And frame of reference makes all the difference.

Think about 2 compasses, one stationary and the other orbiting around the other without any rotation of either of the compasses (from the frame of reference of an outside observer). From each compass, it will appear as if the other is rotating. The act of circumnavigating a point includes an implicit relative rotation. And in the absence of any 3 rd party reference, the very notion of whom is still and whom is moving is meaningless.

Do i hear any head exploding?
Last edited by SkyCore on Aug 5, 2015, 7:52:09 PM
Mind blown. If this was any deeper, I'd have to dig my way out.

"
SkyCore wrote:
1 or 2 rotations? Yes... Both are correct. But neither is correct alone. The real answer is once AND twice.

Imagine if you are the center square: from your perspective the rotating of the other square occurs only once.

If you are the rotating square: again it will appear as if youve only rotated once before you are back in your initial position.

But for an observer outside the orbit the squares, it will appear as if the rotating square made 2 full revolutions.

Rotation is a relative concept. And frame of reference makes all the difference.

Think about 2 compasses, one stationary and the other orbiting around the other without any rotation of either of the compasses (from the frame of reference of an outside observer). From each compass, it will appear as if the other is rotating. The act of circumnavigating a point includes an implicit relative rotation. And in the absence of any 3 rd party reference, the very notion of whom is still and whom is moving is meaningless.

Do i hear any head exploding?

Sorry but you're simply confusing the rotation of square x around itself - which happens twice - with the "rotation" (revolution would suit better) of square x around square y - which happens once. Relative points of observation don't change this.
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
You also frogot to mention on which celestrial body this happens.
They move through the universe. So depending on how long this procedure took, the square could have had several rotation in relation to his starting point in the universe.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info