Lightning Warp

The delay does happen after it's cast. You cast the spell, which sets the timer. Sometime after that it teleports you to the target location.

The skill is intended to be usable in multiple ways, but the most basic case is that you cast it away somewhere, and then can wade into a dangerous horde of monsters to attack, safe in the knowledge that you'll be pulled out before you die (note - requires you to be able to judge your survivabiltiy). It will deal extra damage to all the things surrounding you as you leave, and as a bonus will deal area damage around the area you escape to, in case something's gone there in the meantime to wait for you.
Unlike an 'instant teleport' skill, you've already cast it, so the monsters can' interrupt the casting of the spell when you're leaving.
You can adjust how long before you teleport by changing the distance to cater the length to specific situations.

I disagree that it's hard to use offensively because you "need to predict where your targets are going" - they're going, in most cases, directly to you, and you're going to them. And the damage is dealt around you.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 17, 2012, 11:51:56 PM
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
I'm fairly confident that it's using they player's cast time correctly as it should, but using the player's movement speed surprises me a bit.
If it used it's own movement speed it would never, ever go anywhere. Using the player's was consistent with how totems worked and seemed the obvious solution.
"
UristMcDwarfy wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
If it used it's own movement speed it would never, ever go anywhere. Using the player's was consistent with how totems worked and seemed the obvious solution.

I didn't say it was a bad surprise. :)

I guess I never really though about it since I don't consider movement speed either a defensive OR offensive stat, and that seems to be the line that separates whether a totem uses its own stats or yours. I know it's not as simple as that, but that seems to be what it gets boiled down to more often than not.

That said, it sounds like a great idea to me. I'd be off trying to make a Lightning Warp totem character if I could find a build I was mostly satisfied with...
Technically movement speed isn't a stat (although it's affected by stats), so this didn't work at first, an exception had to be made. Otherwise they caset the spell and it never moves them, and the the blue effects at the start and end points are there forever.

offensive/defensive has nothing to do with a totem "using your stats", its' much simpler than that, not more complicated. A totem uses it's own stats, but uses your skills. A skill used by your totem is your skill, not the totem's so any stat queried by the skill will receive your stat value.
When something hits a totem, they're hitting the totem, and are checking against it's stats to hit/damage it.
When something is hit by a fireball from a totem, that's your fireball skill, so it's checking against your stats to see damage, etc.

Anything relating to the totem as an object, it has it's own stats in that object.
Anything relating to a skill used by the totem, that's your skill and is using the stats of your skill, which are your stats (plus modifiers from supports, etc)
"
pneuma wrote:
Any ETA on this 5+ month old bug? Might the enemy projectile change possibly fix this as a side effect?
Highly unlikely to have changed, given arrows still stick into things. We can't give an ETA because we still don't know what causes that. That crash is in a deep and complicated low-level part of the renderer to do with objects determining what lights affect them. The only person who really stands a change of working it out is Jonathan, and he's consistently busy with hundreds of other things as well. I'ts on the list, but it's not as high-priority as a lot of the other stuff which needs to be done.
In particular, that crash is highly unlikely to require a wipe to fix, so is by default lower priority until open beta than all the hundreds of things that have to happen before the final wipe.
Traps with targeted spells always target the triggering enemy, so if you're putting them in the same place they'll be triggered together by the same enemy and all target that enemy.
Yes, there's a minimum range on Lightning Warp, because otherwise you could warp to your own location or very very close, with basically no delay and catching all surrounding mosnters in both AoEs (leaving and arrival). So the traps will aim at the triggering enemy, and then be extended the minimum range.
Lightning warp can travel to a location if a projectile fired form your location could get there in a straight line. It does the same terrain check that fireball does while moving.
We can't 'tweak lightning warp' for specific terrain. All the terrain is is a bunch of "blocks walking = true/false" and "blocks projectiles = true/false". Lightning warp can only react to those.

If some terrain is listed as blocking but shouldn't be then we can potentailly change the terrain, but lightning warp can't act differently for one piece of projectile blocking terrain than another, because there is no difference in the code.
"
fsk1989 wrote:
Also why is it affected by movement speed when leap slam or whirling blades arent? The 3 share the same role, warp being the awkward one.
Because they very intentionally do not share the same role.
"
Epikur wrote:
The current state is indeed a great disappointment.

GGG, please disable only the "Supported Spells Repeat an additional time" part of echo for lightning warp!
That stat is literally the entire point of the gem. It's not at all reasonable for something to be supported by echo if the base functionality of echo doesn't work for it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info