2.0.1 Hotfix

how can u switch back to standalone after merging your accounts?
Thanks Qarl!

Get a SSD guys, helps with loading times, strongboxes AND steampatching. :)
Perception is reality.
i have a ssd steam takes 5 min anyway first startup takes 1min feeling like 20 loading times after that are okay strongboxes only lag if there are crazy monsters inside
"
diem4801 wrote:
"
Steam spends so much time because it has to patch a really big file. Even though the patch is small it still has to read the great big content package file.

Funny that plenty of other games that are much larger seem to not have an issue with small patches, or even large patches for that matter.

That's because of how file systems for games are structured. Take Witcher 3 for example, it's a 26GB game, but it'd patch relatively quickly because it's broken into smaller files, and it's much easier for Steam to make the overwrites to many small files than to find exactly where a patch is needed to be applied in a giant 6.6GB single file, which is what PoE uses.

The reason the standalone is fine is because it uses it's own patching system, that better understands how to find exact positions of data and patch them within the large compilation file.
I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief; because there will be so much to look forward to.
Last edited by ogresamanosuke on Aug 1, 2015, 6:45:48 AM
"
"
diem4801 wrote:
"
Steam spends so much time because it has to patch a really big file. Even though the patch is small it still has to read the great big content package file.

Funny that plenty of other games that are much larger seem to not have an issue with small patches, or even large patches for that matter.

That's because of how file systems for games are structured. Take Witcher 3 for example, it's a 26GB game, but it'd patch relatively quickly because it's broken into smaller files, and it's much easier for Steam to make the overwrites to many small files than to find exactly where a patch is needed to be applied in a giant 6.6GB single file, which is what PoE uses.

The reason the standalone is fine is because it uses it's own patching system, that better understands how to find exact positions of data and patch them within the large compilation file.

makes sense to me. good reply.

steam shows 8 minutes to apply this 500 kb patch for me. seems pretty accurate from the time it has taken.
I stopped playing a few day ago because it's not worth updating this game every single day, sometimes 2-3 times a day over some tiny little 500kb patch just to have Steam grind my HD to almost a halt with I/O writes for 5-10 minutes.

I really hope someone from GGG can change the way Steam hosts the game, unpack the files or something so that Steams patching process can be done on only the tiny little files that's needed, and not on the whole 6.6+GB file each time.
I'm so sorry that you can't do anything else while the game is patching for a few minutes. You all sound so entitled to quick startup times. Use the toilet, make a sandwich, and grab a drink - your game will be there when you get back. Make your concern known to the PoE team and you've done your job. A few minutes of patching isn't the worst thing in this world that can happen to you. :)
I use steam primarily but used the standalone when I am not at home and both take 3-5 mins "preallocating" even if it is a tiny patch.
So does this mean I get my tempest league marauder back who was very surprised how quickly he ripped to some scrawny looking bats?

😝
Small patches like this takes like 10 seconds with the client for me.

I guess I now understand the complaining thread about all the hotfixes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info