Blood Rage

deanmachine89 is just so freaking right.

i focussed my build on ci and bloodrage since i read about the mechanics in the PoE wiki. I actually didnt read the patchnote that changed this skill to be useless now. The main buff from that skill shouldnt be applied only at low life. You really need to invest much to negate that malus. So that should definetly be worth it. At the moment its totally not.

Since CI 50% ES bonus was removed, at least this skill should stay viable.

There were many people talking about the "get the buff only on low" thing. Id love to see GGG respond to that.

Greetings
"
7alent wrote:
deanmachine89 is just so freaking right.

i focussed my build on ci and bloodrage since i read about the mechanics in the PoE wiki. I actually didnt read the patchnote that changed this skill to be useless now. The main buff from that skill shouldnt be applied only at low life. You really need to invest much to negate that malus. So that should definetly be worth it. At the moment its totally not.

Since CI 50% ES bonus was removed, at least this skill should stay viable.

There were many people talking about the "get the buff only on low" thing. Id love to see GGG respond to that.

Greetings

Blood Rage wasn't changed in any way other than indirect changes due to chaos resist penalty and CI nerfs. It's been attack speed% on low life only for a long time/forever, the point of this was to get frenzy charges and lifeleech "for free", never to get the attackspeed. Frenzy charges alone give you attackspeed anyway.
Last edited by PyrosEien on Feb 11, 2013, 11:30:44 PM
Of course that CI nerf is an indirect nerf. I did just mention that the key synergies of my build got nerfed and that im not satisfied with that.

Its not really the topic, i know.

My Point was that it is hard enough to make you build run bloodrage "for free" because you have to take many +10 attributes to even reach you key passives (huge distance from CI over to +frenzy to instant lifesteal. And it should be worth it.

Maybe i didnt point it out that well, but you clearly did not get my point at all.
(disclaimer: I'm going to be kind of an asshole)

You probably won't be needing Vaal Pact for one, and even without any Frenzy Charge bonuses it's a free 15% Attack/Cast Speed buff. Ghost Reaver is really close to +1 Frenzy, so you can even go for 20% A/C Speed if you like. Oh no, you don't get the Low Life bonus on top of being immune to the downside and getting free constant Frenzy Charges, at the cost of nothing because you were going to get CI and Ghost Reaver anyways. Woe is you.

When it comes to CI users, Blood Rage is literally no different from before Open Beta. Stop whining.

--------------------
As for Deanmachine's comment...

"
dean wrote:
whereas the skill "frenzy" you get 5%, + up to an additional 10% per charge,(not to mention the additional physical damage bonus.) So why use blood rage to grant frenzy charges when you can do it easier using the skill "frenzy" and have the additional bonuses the skill grants?

Only the skill Frenzy gains the extra Damage and Attack Speed. Read the skill description. It says (paraphrased) 'x% Increased Physical damage per Frenzy Charge', ie. the Skill deals bonus damage per Charge. It does not say 'Frenzy Charges obtained by Frenzy grant +x% Increased Physical damage'.

I don't see how Frenzy is any easier than Blood Rage? BR automatically refreshes your Charges and itself. You activate it once, and that's it. Frenzy needs constant attention and Mana.

"
dean wrote:
b) Since your life leech is based on how much physical damage you hit with, surely having to sacrifice offensive passives to make the skill viable to life regen builds, this skill is pointless, especially when a skill such as warlord's mark grants more life leech (max 7%) and does not require any passives to make it viable?

Ignoring the fact that Warlord's Mark needs constant casting, which costs resources and time.

"
dean wrote:
So why would they want to lose 67% of their life just to get a small attack speed boost?

Are you seriously calling 30% IAS plus 5% per Frenzy Charge a "small" bonus? Get out.

"
dean wrote:
Please remove the attack speed bonus on low life! This skill was obviously on the mind when CI kept its chaos immunity. Yet this added bonus stayed as it is, despite not even working for CI builds.

This was never an issue before, and it's even better to combine BR with CI than before. Yet you still want a buff that benefits CI users as well? :/

The issue with Blood Rage currently is the Chaos Resistance penalty, which is kinda dumb in its own right.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 12, 2013, 8:41:03 AM
i dont want blood rage's "low life" effect to apply to CI. that would make gems like "melee damage on full life" contradict with how low life effects apply to CI. I simply don't see how this low life bonus helps any build so i would rather it be removed, and changed with a bonus that helps both CI and life regen builds! I don't know any blood rage builds that drop down to 35% life and see this as a good bonus.

I simply brought CI into the equation because i wanted to point out the fact that the developers had obviously considered this skill when CI kept it's chaos immunity.... and i quote "to make blood rage skill viable", Yet this bonus remained intact, despite not being usable.

Regarding frenzy... i don't know if you knew this or not but if you have 7 frenzy charges and hit 1 enemy with the skill frenzy this refreshes the entire duration of all charges! Since it effectively replaces 1 frenzy charge with a new one. So you can keep the charges up longer. Blood rage requires you to kill the enemy, which is worthless if you're say fighting a boss where it is hard to kill. So in my opinion once you have the charges stacked, using frenzy is easier to maintain these charges since it's based on "hit" not "kill"

And my main concern with blood rage is mainly aimed at the life regen builds. CI if you can bypass the perma-stun's and perma-freezes long enough to cast blood rage then it's extremely viable. But life regen builds i honestly think you have to look at the sacrifices to make the build viable, and think is it really worth it? Is 6% life leech worth using up all of your life regen passives, (and struggling to do so in the process?) Especially when it would probably mean sacrificing your offensive passives in the process. And is making a frenzy build using this skill worth it when you can build + maintain frenzy charges just as easily using the skill frenzy?

6.2 life regen per second in my opinion is simply too high! So something needs changing to make this build more viable to life builds. I don't want the chaos resistance of merciless lowered, since there are many builds out there that work just fine even with the chaos damage and -60% resistances. So a massive game change just for one skill is too much. But i would like to see more chaos resistance passives/gear introduced, or alternatively simply lower the chaos damage blood rage does, so that it makes the life regen build more viable?

"
dean wrote:
i dont want blood rage's "low life" effect to apply to CI

I know. I just don't see why Blood Rage needs to be any better for CI users when CI is *already* so desirable. The Low Life bonus is the one benefit Life users have; why take that away as well? Sure, not everyone's going to use it explicitly, but when shit does hit the fan, you're going to benefit for a little bit at least. It's really noticable when it kicks in due to the substantial IAS bonus.

Changing it to a 'general' buff means Life builds simply don't receive any benefit over CI users.

"
dean wrote:
Regarding frenzy... i don't know if you knew this or not but if you have 7 frenzy charges and hit 1 enemy with the skill frenzy this refreshes the entire duration of all charges!

One kill does the same with Blood Rage. I'm aware :P
Boss kills are the one area where Frenzy is more useful, I admit. Anywhere else, which is going to be a significant part of your character's career, Blood Rage is more convenient. I know which I prefer. *shrug*

"
dean wrote:
CI if you can bypass the perma-stun's and perma-freezes long enough to cast blood rage then it's extremely viable.

If you're trying to cast Blood Rage while monsters are capable of hitting you, you're simply doing it wrong :/

With a bit of Chaos resistance (which you want anyways), the degeneration is a whole lot more managable. Life builds are going to grab a bunch of Life Regen anyways (it's really good, it's always next to decent Life bonuses... Why wouldn't you?). It's really not that big a sacrifice as you seem to think.

It becomes a problem (ie. *is* a problem currently) when you can't get any Chaos resistance because the modifier appears to be rare as hell and doesn't come in very large amounts. :/ Blegh
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 13, 2013, 5:37:18 AM
Chaos resistance, as scarce as it is, currently gives no incentive to use this ability on anyone with no CI post normal difficulty.
I'm all for Degen, but to balance the skill out better to be more consistent throughout difficulties, I suggest it would not deal Chaos Damage, but physical.
It could then be remade conceptually into a "Bladestorm" ability, so it would make more sense.
Last edited by Unacceptable on Feb 13, 2013, 4:53:04 PM
Meh works out alright in Cruel still, but yeah I probably won't cast it on Merciless unless I find a solid amount of chaos resist, which in my previous experiences has been very hard to do.
Basically, if you want Frenzy charges you have a choice between using Frenzy every so often (which means actually hitting monsters in the face if you don't have a bow or wand) or running Blood Rage with all that entails.

Builds with CI should use Blood Rage, no doubt about it (unless you really need all 18 gem sockets for other things, or you make Frenzy your main attack). There is literally no downside beyond the use of a gem socket, it makes both attacking and casting significantly faster, and it refreshes itself indefinitely as long as you keep killing, so it's like an aura with no reservation. Without CI, bow/wand users may as well use Frenzy as it can be made into a good attack in its own right. Where it becomes a difficult choice is for a life-based character using say Lightning Strike or Ground Slam. Yes, the degeneration is bad and forces you to get high chaos resist. But faster attacks are a huge advantage for these builds, and walking up to a monster to hit him with Frenzy can be very dangerous compared to blasting away at medium range. Also, if you're Life/Armour-based, you need good Chaos resistance anyway.

Has anyone tried an ES/CI/Blood Rage/Flicker Strike build in OB? It could get pretty insane if you manage to kill a monster on most hits (or more than one monster with Burning + Elemental Proliferation).
"
Incompetent wrote:
....unless you really need all 18 gem sockets for other things...

Their is 24 total Gem sockets

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info