Removing shotgunning was a bloody mistake

You could simply remove shotgunning from monsters so that the melee classes don't suffer from it and nerf/mitigate shotgunning caused by players so that its damage is not over the top.

With GMP/LMP no longer being viable options, because, let's be honest, one is better off with aoe builds not depending on them rather than builds that do, how many builds were lost in the process?

Anyone misses the GMP builds like the GMP freezing pulse or the fireball (and many other skills)?
The builds list are lacking so many basic skills that once were viable.
Why, for example isn't there a FP build on that list? Is there anyone using FP and many other skills now even with many of them being buffed? Are the single skills viable without GMP/LMP?
Are the GMP/LMPs as viable as the splinter totem builds? No, they aren't.
How many 2.0 multiple projectiles builds have you seen since awakening's launch? Is it me or is the overall number of viable builds actually reduced because some skills are not being used at all?
And in general, remember the satisfaction and fun that came with using multiple projectiles because shotgunning didn't make them useless at a single target??

Biggest mistake I've seen since the launch of this game. The shotgun mechanic was a faulty limb indeed. But instead of curing it, you amputated it.

Edit for those who think it was the only solution: They could simply have done this:
Atm one projectile hits the enemy the rest get ignored. Instead, the batch of projectiles from the same cast hitting one target could have their damage mitigated. Monster shotgunning should be completely removed no arguments on that.

Edit 2:
Writing this because, as expected, many MISreading this post are replying with the following:
"Omg it sucked it had to be removed". If you actually READ the post, you will find that I agree with you and that I talk about an alternative, so I suggest you READ the post properly, understand it, so that you are not out of context and then reply concerning that other alternative.
Last edited by RestInPieces on Aug 13, 2015, 11:28:37 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1364777

build i made in warbands.you don't need shotgun to be OP
ign:JaqenHghar

warbands
"
donong wrote:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1364777

build i made in warbands.you don't need shotgun to be OP

I know that COC is a thing now after the reflect changes and that it utilizes GMP. But it's a whole different playstyle man :(
And it's not about being OP, but so many builds after the awakening became completely lackluster that I am starting to lose my desire to play.
1)shotgunning still exists trough AoE/secondary effects

2)Lmp/Gmp has uses now that didn't exist in the past because the damage reduction buff

3)shotgunning created skills that were good for both single and multi target which just made other skills bad cause they could never do that.

4)monster skills work the same as players do.
there's a reason for that.
Separating everything will just make balancing the game a nightmare.
as you need to consider both cases instead of only 1
you never want the separate these kind of things unless there's no other way.
and guess what there was another way, the removal of shotgun and tbh am glad it's gone.

5)every projectile spell i have tried since the removal is either stronger then before or comparable. and if you had actually bothered to try it out you would have noticed that.

BTW incinerate and flame totem are the most op spells in the game right now
and they both got 'nerfed' with the shotgun change, right ?
Removing Shotgun effects was one of the best balancing decision ever made in POE history :)
LMP and GMP are actually more usable now because they don't nerf your damage as heavily.

Most skills that relied on shotgunning were buffed to compensate and are actually much more flexible and interesting now that they don't require LMP/GMP as a link option just to do decent damage.

I also think that removing shotgunning was a good idea. Did not think so at first, but now I do.

The monsters still seem to be able to shotgun me, though. Cannot explain otherwise why the Jungle Valley map with extra projectiles for the monsters was so extremely rippy.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on Jul 31, 2015, 3:24:55 PM
I also think removing it was a good idea. I used to play a CoC bow. Shotgunning the boss was literally millions of dps and it killed most dangerous bosses in a few seconds at most.

GMP and LMP are very viable. You just need 2 skills, 1 for singletarget and 1 for groups.

Yay for devourers with 5 projectiles + dmg mods that no longer insta gib me.
Last edited by silverdash on Jul 31, 2015, 4:40:21 PM
My Incinerate build is stronger now with G/LMP than it was in 1.3, dealing less damage vs. single targets that could be shotgunned but more damage vs groups of enemies in general - and it was always large groups of dangerous enemies that were the greater danger to the build, not single bosses. Once I get good jewels for its many jewel slots, it will even beat the 1.3 singletarget damage.

So I like the shotgun changes.

Of course, this is an Incinerate-tank, not an Incinerate glass-cannon, and it picks up a lot of jewel slots. For high-damage Incinerate builds the scenario is less rosy. But still awesome!
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Jul 31, 2015, 5:14:51 PM
I am glad I got to make a CoC Shatterchuck rip off before the changes, mostly because I got to feel the most godly I ever felt in POE.

But, I don't mind the loss of shutgunning - you HAVE to remember that the balance team at GGG consists of a couple of people and a few Alpha testers (and to a lesser extent the Beta). The balance team is up against 1000's of some of the most mathematically genius and insane players in any online game.

New mechanics and changed mechanics will inevitably be combined together and worked to the point that things will get busted to OP as shit levels.

Frankly its fantastic. I have no doubt that sometimes the GGG guys think "Right, we've tuned and worked and suffered, we're prepared for the QQ and insults, but I damn well gaurantee that this is going to be more balanced for players now!"

nek minit - Budget Shatterchuck 2.0
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info