There is a limit to getting unlucky

Slowly but surely I am getting really mad and quite frankly the game is beginning to be less and less fun.

I've played this game now for more than 1300 hours and that is steam client alone. In more than half a dozen leagues I have never found anything worth more than a tabula rasa. In my guild alone there are people who sixlink their shit in a few hundret fusings, find a mjölner and a shav's in the first two and a half weeks and get otherwise showered by wealth. IN THIS SEASON ALONE! I dont hate on them, good bless their luck and I wish them all the best.

But there is a limit to what a man can suffer. I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall, hoping for a miracle. I can't sustain maps above 74 while running every mod (except temp chains and ele weakness) on maps with high qual and quantity, chisseling everything since 72's. Ok, so fuck maps yeah!? I run dried lake in decent mf gear. Dozens of runs daily, maybe even hundreds of runs total. No nice loot. No map returns or upgrades either of course.

The problem is that loot and map progression are in some form competitive. If you constantly invest in a gamble, play by the rules and the game returns jack shit to you, you can not suffer this kind of streak without breaking at some point, mentaly and economicaly.
Everyone seems to get richer and richer and I feel like I just dont have enough "chips" to play at the table anymore.

And that dear folks is just not fun.

I really want a clear answer to one last question: Is there a hidden account penalty that could have caused this? To my knowledge I have never been penalized or given cause to be. Because I am looking, fishing, for reasons this is happening and I simply DO NOT UNDERSTAND.
Last edited by Rakschas666 on Jul 30, 2015, 1:37:55 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I know you don't want to hear it but you really are in fact that unlucky. However, don't worry. That is by design. The feeling you have is the one GGG is aiming for.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
Last edited by CliveHowlitzer on Jul 30, 2015, 1:48:30 AM
I've been playing since before 1.0 and only 2 days ago had an OMG drop that's worth more than a few Exalts in the economy: Void Battery.

So there is hope... though you'll often feel like Vegas played you for a fool.
How much IIR and IIQ are you running? It makes a significant difference.

+100% IIR is double the uniques. +200% is triple the uniques.

+100% IIR and +20% IIQ is 2.4 times the uniques. +200% IIR and +20% IIQ is 3.6 times the uniques.

Imagine that if, instead of 1300 hours, you had gotten every unique you have found to date in the first 400 hours. What do you think might have dropped in the next 900 hours of play?

It's really easy to overlook IIR and IIQ if you just focus on things like running maps. You have to focus on farming, which means cranking out the IIR/IIQ and then running the best maps you can; probably not the highest maps you could run with full DPS gear, but your time will be more productive. As indicated above, running IIR/IIQ could get you triple the number of unique drops without having to bust your bank open (but, remember: gotta spend money to make uniques)

There is an IIR and IIQ bonus when running parties. The IIQ is not quite enough to account for the extra party members, but the IIR bonus is pretty substantial and you'll get more uniques. Plus, as long as somebody in your party has high IIR/IIQ and culls, you can actually focus on gearing yourself with DPS and defense stuff. And a culler makes a huge difference. Just get in a permanent allocation party, or make friends you can regularly play with and trust not to hog all the good stuff to themselves. Short allocation and free-for-alls will just fuck you over on loot if you aren't super good at clicking, have high movement speed, sit in the middle of packs, and just sort of say "fuck it" when it comes to actually killing anything.

Plus, trading is a thing.

I admit, I hate trading and don't want to do it on an extensive basis, and have always hated this feature in Diablo 2 type games (why give me single player modes when you've tuned all the drops to multiplayer numbers). But it's there. If you don't want to take advantage of it, that's your choice. Don't get upset because others do take advantage of it.
Last edited by TimeDilation on Jul 30, 2015, 2:32:15 AM
Lastly, anything that remotely resembles "social media" or such interactions (this really pre-dates Facebook by many years) will always have a curious "sorting" effect, that makes it look like things for others are FAR better than they actually are... And always far better than they are for yourself.

It's a pretty simple rule: people are far more likely boast about good things happening to them, and more likely to actually be allowed to continue to do so, then someone complaining about a LACK of good things happening to them.

As a relevant example, take fusings, for instance: if someone gets lucky and 6Ls an item in only 100 fusings, you can bet yourself that they WILL boast about it to their guildmates, to global chat, or whatever: and they will NOT forget that happen, so they will mention this WELL into the future.

But someone who tried linking an item, spent 2000+ fusings and passed up a single 5L they saw along the way? They'll only say something, at most, in passing. And they won't keep repeating it. And it really doesn't change if it's been 10,000+ fusings, and they've failed across FIVE items; they'll still talk less than EACH 6L someone was lucky with. Ditto goes for drops, and everything else.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
I spend 2 years on POE and had seen only one exalt drop. Around 10ex on item drops. I was worth around 30ex.
Within a year 2 exalts dropped and one Windripper. And countless other uniques and some nice rares. I now have around 100ex on gear in normal. RNG is strange in POE land.

Edit: spend around 3000 fuses on 6S and never had a 6L. Never mind... I buy them now instead. Just take the game as it comes and you will be fine.
Last edited by Kaw on Jul 30, 2015, 2:58:02 AM
Unlucky people like OP are the fuel of PoE's artificial economy. While person X already hit three cartoboxes in high maps, OP has to work in Wraeclast salt mines (Act 4 finally brought the appropriate tileset theme) and buy maps from lucky people...

I don't believe GGG is tweaking individual accounts (except that thing with known botters, who get their orb drops removed), so it's just RNG. The bad side of RNG, the extreme of the curve. The RNG variance in this game is really brutal.

My luck in this game was average. I don't have very useful suggestions, except maybe to say a few words on how I approach Path of Las Vegas:

* I almost never plan builds that require gear I don't have yet (happened only once, iirc) or things that I can't reasonably expect to loot. I don't plan expensive builds.
* I approach gambling cool-headed (most of the time), prefer to play a bit more with sub-par gear, instead of throwing all orbs on some item in a fit of gambling rage (that's what the game expects of you, by the way). I prefer hoarding.
* My only gaming goal is to push my char through an ever-increasing map difficulty, as high as possible with self-found gear, and not to have BiS for my build or a 100% min-maxed setup.
* I don't look at what other people do or have.
* I dont expect to ever loot anything good.

That was the philosophical part, now the practical:

* I do well rounded builds with survivability & kill speed covered first, only then I throw in a little bit of MF (up to 100%, no more). I've never done a "MF build".
* I don't play quest content, the goal is to get to maps which give you quantity bonus ASAP and stay there.
* I only play builds that can do most of the content easily with a 5L. All the 6Ls I have happened by chance and were not planned.
* I dont buy gear, but I do trade for orbs, so that my gameplay is not cockblocked by orb-starvation too much
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Jul 30, 2015, 3:00:30 AM
"
TimeDilation wrote:
How much IIR and IIQ are you running? It makes a significant difference.

+100% IIR is double the uniques. +200% is triple the uniques.

+100% IIR and +20% IIQ is 2.4 times the uniques. +200% IIR and +20% IIQ is 3.6 times the uniques.

Imagine that if, instead of 1300 hours, you had gotten every unique you have found to date in the first 400 hours. What do you think might have dropped in the next 900 hours of play?

It's really easy to overlook IIR and IIQ if you just focus on things like running maps. You have to focus on farming, which means cranking out the IIR/IIQ and then running the best maps you can; probably not the highest maps you could run with full DPS gear, but your time will be more productive. As indicated above, running IIR/IIQ could get you triple the number of unique drops without having to bust your bank open (but, remember: gotta spend money to make uniques)

There is an IIR and IIQ bonus when running parties. The IIQ is not quite enough to account for the extra party members, but the IIR bonus is pretty substantial and you'll get more uniques. Plus, as long as somebody in your party has high IIR/IIQ and culls, you can actually focus on gearing yourself with DPS and defense stuff. And a culler makes a huge difference. Just get in a permanent allocation party, or make friends you can regularly play with and trust not to hog all the good stuff to themselves. Short allocation and free-for-alls will just fuck you over on loot if you aren't super good at clicking, have high movement speed, sit in the middle of packs, and just sort of say "fuck it" when it comes to actually killing anything.

Plus, trading is a thing.

I admit, I hate trading and don't want to do it on an extensive basis, and have always hated this feature in Diablo 2 type games (why give me single player modes when you've tuned all the drops to multiplayer numbers). But it's there. If you don't want to take advantage of it, that's your choice. Don't get upset because others do take advantage of it.

Including the IIR Gem I currently have 211% IIR and 39% IIQ in Warbands. I can currently not afford the Goldwyrms, Andvarius or the Ventor's Gambit. I am perfectly aware how these mechanics work, but living circumstances make frequent party play difficult for me.

Trading is unrealted to the opening post as it in no shape or form affect my personal loot drops. I could do that yes, but I dont enjoy it either. Participating in flipping loot would not result in any other outcome regarding the topic and problem in question. It would solve the problem of wealth, at the cost of dedicating my time in this game to one of my least favourite aspects. If thats the decision I am forced to make, I would rather not play this game.
"
ACGIFT wrote:
Lastly, anything that remotely resembles "social media" or such interactions (this really pre-dates Facebook by many years) will always have a curious "sorting" effect, that makes it look like things for others are FAR better than they actually are... And always far better than they are for yourself.

It's a pretty simple rule: people are far more likely boast about good things happening to them, and more likely to actually be allowed to continue to do so, then someone complaining about a LACK of good things happening to them.

As a relevant example, take fusings, for instance: if someone gets lucky and 6Ls an item in only 100 fusings, you can bet yourself that they WILL boast about it to their guildmates, to global chat, or whatever: and they will NOT forget that happen, so they will mention this WELL into the future.

But someone who tried linking an item, spent 2000+ fusings and passed up a single 5L they saw along the way? They'll only say something, at most, in passing. And they won't keep repeating it. And it really doesn't change if it's been 10,000+ fusings, and they've failed across FIVE items; they'll still talk less than EACH 6L someone was lucky with. Ditto goes for drops, and everything else.

True enough. I admit to saltiness and skewed perception. However the TOTAL abscence of worthwhile uniques over long periods of dedicated time is, as far as human perception goes, a fact.
i know that feeling... since them i started to build myself "beginenr-builds" with the goal to be map viable... at least i can try out diffrent playstyles, try out some crazy stuff and i always plan to use a 4L... im not even planning with a 5L anymore... ok 5L are now easy to purchase at a cost of around 5c but nevertheless i dont plan building a char that i cant afford... when i have a concept in mind i buy all the stuff before i even create the character... that helped me alot this season... so far im having a blast... will i get to 1trillion dps dream machine? nope! does it bothers me? nope!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info