GGG, It's Time To Move On To The 21st Century, Or, Why DirectX 9 is a Bad Idea

If turbine can do this for their MMOs everytime a new DX comes out, then why cant GGG?

It would help the game tremendously by eliminating lag with a lot of the high particle effect skills such as discharge.

(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
ACGIFT wrote:
A lot of people get the misconception that working on the programming core and creating content are mutually-exclusive operations, that they draw away from the same resources...

As it happens, a video game design team is NOT all made up of being with otherwise-identical skillsets: they have programmers, designers, writers, artists... Almost will any of them be comparably good at another's job: they've specialized.

It's clear that PoE's core engine is in DIRE need of reworking; making it more modern would be a big thing. Besides, if they're going to tell everyone to have 4-8GB+ of RAM, then keeping DirectX 9 support for "backwards compatibility" reasons is a sheer joke.

Also, if I wanna get technical, Direct 9's reign WAS in the 21st Century: it was the order of the day from 2002-2006; and its actual widespread adoption lagged, as those were ALSO the years the first cards to support each (the Radeon 9700 series and Geforce 8800 series, respectively) became available.

Regarding backwards compatibility, both DX10 and 11 are backwards compatible with DX9 already. All such games that already exist allow you to choose between DX9 or 10/11 compatibility in the settings.

Theres no logical reason at all behind still supporting DX9 only games. They are backwards, obsolete and major resource / system hogs compared to DX11.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
Oh, for sure. This isn't about whether or not you've supported so far. I asked if people would financially support a zero content, optimising patch.

I don't think we'd know the answer until GGG were to ask it for real. And I doubt they will.

Eh, to clarify why I said lockstep is the biggest QoL change they could have made, I'll point out that it affected people with both 5k rigs and toasters, so to speak. You're talking much more about bringing the lower end tech players up to speed, which would be awesome but not as globally improving as lockstep was, I think.

I'm very sure that most people here would support both bugfixing and game performance optimizations to improve performance over content.

Id rather that they make the game run better before adding more content.

- PoE TOS.
I have no problem paying for a "contentless" update if we know what is being worked on when we make the payment/s.

I fully support any move by GGG to fix the games optimization and trading system instead of adding a new act and if they announce such a move I will buy supporter packs worth $30-$50 a month until its done :)
Umm... technically DirectX 9 was released in 2002. So it's part of the 21st century to use it.
I'd put money in to support OpenGL (I want cross-platform support). I realise (I am not a graphics programmer) that would be more work than DirectX 12 support.
Now that Windows 10 is real and has DirectX 12 that streamlines a game's access to the GPU for faster performance it makes zero sense for GGG to hang onto DirectX 9 support. XP isn't viable (to use the PoE build word) as most never used a 64 bit version of XP (extremely limited 64 bit driver support) and we need more than 3 GB of ram to run OS and PoE so it's time to move on and get with the DirectX program GGG devs.

DirectX 12 FAQ: All about Windows 10's supercharged graphics tech
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jul 30, 2015, 8:16:05 AM
Problem with PoE is fact that there could be formed way better dev team from PoE community than main PoE dev team...

There are ppl from Blizzard, Google and TomTom playin the game (i know them personally) so Indie company wildcard is not going to work...
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
Actually I would bet that still DirectX 9 compared to DirectX 12 isn't that much leap forwards.
I sense the source of FPS drops is more in the way of how the graphics features are written than the version of DirectX!

P.S.: I'm computer graphics professional, so I know what I'm talking about.
MY CHALLENGES ARE DONE ON HC, IT'S NOT SC GUYS!
"
Filousov wrote:
Actually I would bet that still DirectX 9 compared to DirectX 12 isn't that much leap forwards.
I sense the source of FPS drops is more in the way of how the graphics features are written than the version of DirectX!

P.S.: I'm computer graphics professional, so I know what I'm talking about.

But you're not a software engineer so you don't know the impact DX12 has on draw-call limited performance bottlenecks when properly coded for it.
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info