GGG, It's Time To Move On To The 21st Century, Or, Why DirectX 9 is a Bad Idea

Given that Windows XP was EOLed quite a while ago, and many people complain about the, ahem, substandard performance on modern hardware due to lack of optimization, perhaps GGG should consider upgrading their game engine from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11, or dare I say it, DX12?

The move from DX9 to DX10/11/12 will allow for a restructuring of the game engine to be less CPU-dependent, and theoretically have less FPS drops in scenes with a lot of entities, i.e. moving to a screen filled with a ton of corpses in Daresso's Dream no longer makes your GTX 980 drop from 200 FPS to 2 FPS.

What do you guys think? I personally am willing to wait for the engine optimizations, even if the content patches have to be delayed for a year or so. Not seeing frame stalls during Malachai's tentacle rape attacks would be TOTALLY worth it.
"
That'd be nice.

Would you be willing to financially support an expansion that does nothing but optimise existing content?

I'm not being rhetorical.

or are you!
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Any major revision to DirectX in PoE should be for its removal.
"
I'd like details on that claim, Durentis.

...At a larger remove, my query remains. Would people be willing to support a major patch that adds nothing?

Personally, no.

Building a sixth floor on your cracking and shifting foundation is never wise.

I'd be up for a new engine with a new game from GGG though, that would be sick
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
TheWretch wrote:
"

...At a larger remove, my query remains. Would people be willing to support a major patch that adds nothing?

Personally, no.

I'd be up for a new engine with a new game from GGG though, that would be sick

I would love that. ........ If mtx/packs carried over!
IGN: PurpleTrapperPuppet / Perandus
"
"
TheWretch wrote:
"

Personally, no.

I love you man but did you actually read my question? This wouldn't be about adding a sixth floor. It'd be about reinforcing the foundations as much as possible, and then systematically strengthening the structural integrity of the existing five floors, room by room.

There'd be nothing to show for it. No flashy new trailer. No new music. No new gimmicks.

Would people support that? And I don't mean a few bucks. I'm talking the usual range of 40 bucks through 1k.

Ya I see what you mean now, ummm I want to say I would but I know myself, I'd feel a little bummed if that was the "main" patch that year.

If you're going to go through all that trouble why not just build something new on top of it? Its like all those HD remasters of old games that seem to be in vogue lately. Its cool ya, but eh..ultimately its just old stuff with a fresh coat of paint?
"
That'd be nice.

Would you be willing to financially support an expansion that does nothing but optimise existing content?

I'm not being rhetorical.

I'm sure I could spare a few hundred. I'd still be selfish and want some cool Supporter MTXs though, GGG ain't getting off that easy.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
"

DirectX locks PoE to Windows.
Many people would love to have PoE run natively in OS X or some variant of Linux.
Maintaining both DirectX and, for example, OpenGL layers is awkward and costly.
Gaining cross-platform support is more than the nothing you suggest, at least in my opinion.
"
Some of those HD remasters are amazing, dude. Only some.

I think we all agree that the game needs a good technical going-over. And we all agree that'd take time. And we all agree that time, so goes the old cliche, is money.

...And that's where stop agreeing. ;)

Im right there with ya. I get your point. I wouldn't be against it, but all other things being equal id rather more content or a new game altogether. I agree they def could do a good technical going-over, atm it's functional though which is enough for me.
As a programmer, I would love to drop xp support on the program I write for my workplace(obviously not GGG :P). Hell, I'd love to take that a step farther and go to 64 bit. The problem is too many people are still on legacy systems for it to make any sense from a business perspective. I would not be at all surprised if GGG is in the exact same position. I'm sure their programmers would love to switch to newer technologies but the business side probably just doesn't compute.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info