Why bother with pure ES?

I've been lookig at builds, the passive skill tree and some game mechanics for the last few weeks. AS a result I come to the point of asking what the point is in going for ES rather than life or at leasta hybrid. Why?
Well lets start with melee builds. Strength increases your physical damage. For any melee build going physical that aalone is a reason to get at least some strength nodes. Additionally these nodes will also up your life a bit. If you go for pure ES you miss out on both of these. While Int still gives you some ES it doesn't give you damage in any way. Just the mana.
Next are to points that effect both ranged and melee characters.
LL and LG. To make LL work for ES you already need to get a keystone. LG will never work with ES. Even if you go for CI. If you prefer Life regen or the ES regen is kind of up to personel prefrences IMHO. Now the problem is that LL will give you a max of 20% if your MAX HEALTH per second. Now if you go pure ES (CI) you will be on a very low life amount. It won't make you leach 20% of 1 hp but rather 20% of the health you would have. Thats a lot less then you would get if you go for a Life Build.
Additionally ES gear is really bad for quite a long time. And basiclly all ES builds are way more gear dependent.
The last point is that BP kind of negates all the bonuses you get from beeing mana. This though is rather a problem of BP beeing too good.

So why even bother going pure ES? (or ES at all)
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
ES regens -very quickly-. 33% of your max energy shield per second. this is a value HP can never hope to reach. If you also work on Energy Shield Cooldown you can get the time before ES regens down to 2 seconds quite easily. So in 5 seconds you can regenerate a vast amount of ES. This type of recovery just isn't possible to get from HP. You can stack this regeneration ability on top of the already present regen in order to make Energy Shield Quite Tanky.
ES regens -very quickly-. 33% of your max energy shield per second. this is a value HP can never hope to reach. If you also work on Energy Shield Cooldown you can get the time before ES regens down to 2 seconds quite easily. So in 5 seconds you can regenerate a vast amount of ES. This type of recovery just isn't possible to get from HP. You can stack this regeneration ability on top of the already present regen in order to make Energy Shield Quite Tanky.
Double post.
Ghost reaver leeches ES at max rate based on your ES. But still don't bother with ES:burn,shock,freeze,chill,puncture,un rightous fire mobs pretty much make quick job on ES.
Last edited by B_TAHKE on Feb 12, 2013, 12:28:28 PM
"
Double post.
Ghost reaver leeches ES at max rate based on your ES. But stilldon'tbother with ES:burn,shock,freeze,chill,puncture,un rightous fire mobs pretty much make quick job on ES.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it was still based on health. Or is it the stun that is always based on health. If its the stun its even worse.
"
LittleProbe wrote:
"
Double post.
Ghost reaver leeches ES at max rate based on your ES. But stilldon'tbother with ES:burn,shock,freeze,chill,puncture,un rightous fire mobs pretty much make quick job on ES.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it was still based on health. Or is it the stun that is always based on health. If its the stun its even worse.

If you have at least 1 point of ES, you get 50% stun resistance. That 50% should be in addition to a stun resistance percent based on your health.

Rumor:
Spoiler
there was talk of a keystone coming that will convert all life regen to es regen.
solucky, that keystone already exists. It just sucks because if you have high ES you tend to have low life, so you'd have low Regen.

Whenever you have at least 1 point of energy shield you have a 50% chance to not be stunned.
"
Flickerflare wrote:
solucky, that keystone already exists. It just sucks because if you have high ES you tend to have low life, so you'd have low Regen.

Whenever you have at least 1 point of energy shield you have a 50% chance to not be stunned.

Actually it sucks because all the life regen nodes are in HP clusters and very far away from CI. Regen from items is mostly pointless as well, so you're considering investing a bunch of points into HP that wont get utilized.

"
FamousTrip wrote:
"
Flickerflare wrote:

Actually it sucks because all the life regen nodes are in HP clusters and very far away from CI. Regen from items is mostly pointless as well, so you're considering investing a bunch of points into HP that wont get utilized.

And it regenerates from ES,if RF was possible with CI,ES build would be viable.
Righteous Fire on an ES caster is perfectly viable. I'm doing it on my level 54 shadow right now. Once I max purity and get the rest of my gear, I'll be able to sustain it indefinitely.
Last edited by Strill on Feb 12, 2013, 2:14:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info