help me understand WinMTR results

I bought a new modem and got it in today and just set it up right now. Using my old router which should still be good. Arris 6183 modem and D-Link Dir-655 wireless router. I ran a WinMTR test and so far it looks better. It doesn't show my connection to the router/gateway on the first hop so I was wondering is there a way to do that? For now, I ran the system ping test through my router admin page to my computer and it looks good.

The router between Santa Clara and Great Oaks is still non-responsive. I ran a WinMTR the other day and I got a response from that router for that moment but it was displaying around ~2000 ms with significant packet loss if I remember. Also was able to see that the router that I'm not getting a response for is between Santa Clara and Great Oaks was Sunnyvale.

Last edited by dezahp on Jul 27, 2015, 3:19:14 PM
Those results indeed look much better compared to the ones originally posted (primarily the reduction in jitter) however the bigger question is: has it had any impact on your in-game experience?

Although it's not of paramount importance your modem participates in these traceroutes you're running (as we can infer the results from successive hops and which as mentioned: looks good), we can look into it.

Firstly, could you explain briefly what your network topology is like? I was under the impression you simply had a single modem/router device (the [now] defunct Comcast one) that you were directly connected to. However as you mentioned a DLink router in your last post it seems I may have been was wrong.

Also, I've had a look at your new modem's manual and given it has only one available ethernet port I'm guessing your topology is something like: [Arris] *ethernet* -> [DLink] *ethernet* -> Your PC.

What I suspect based on the manual is that the Arris is a plain modem and therefor is functioning as a layer-2 switch which puts IP/ICMP (thus tracert) beyond it's scope and would explain why it's not responding (Cable internet isn't a common medium here in Australia so I'm not too familiar with them)
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Last edited by Emjayen on Jul 27, 2015, 7:11:59 AM
"
Emjayen wrote:
Those results indeed look much better compared to the ones originally posted (primarily the reduction in jitter) however the bigger question is: has it had any impact on your in-game experience?

Although it's not of paramount importance your modem participates in these traceroutes you're running (as we can infer the results from successive hops and which as mentioned: looks good), we can look into it.

Firstly, could you explain briefly what your network topology is like? I was under the impression you simply had a single modem/router device (the [now] defunct Comcast one) that you were directly connected to. However as you mentioned a DLink router in your last post it seems I may have been was wrong.

Also, I've had a look at your new modem's manual and given it has only one available ethernet port I'm guessing your topology is something like: [Arris] *ethernet* -> [DLink] *ethernet* -> Your PC.

What I suspect based on the manual is that the Arris is a plain modem and therefor is functioning as a layer-2 switch which puts IP/ICMP (thus tracert) beyond it's scope and would explain why it's not responding (Cable internet isn't a common medium here in Australia so I'm not too familiar with them)

Well yea, at first I was using a single modem/router device but now my network from before and now are different. At first, I was using a Cicsco DPC3941T that I was renting from Comcast and was directly hardwired to it. It is a EMTA(voice) modem + wireless router so it was the only device I was using to connect to my network. Now, I am using the new Arris SB6183 along with my D-Link Dir 655 router that I've already had (was not in use with the Comcast modem/router). Yes, the Arris is a pure modem with one ethernet port so I've conncted my router to the modem to connect to everything else.

So exactly as you've said, it is now: Arris(modem) [ethernet] > D-Link(router) [ethernet] > PC

Not sure if it is the modem since the new modem and the Comcast router both have the same no response results. I haven't had much time to really play and evaluate any impacts/improvement on my game. Hopefully, I have more time today to actually check it out for a thorough analysis of any changes/improvements.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info