Fortify

+1 for "melee damage" instead of "melee physical damage". I posted this prior to this thread opening up in the other suggestion forums. It just makes sense, physical builds have amazing synergy with everything and that's fine. This gem shouldn't be physical only though.

GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
"
Perq wrote:
I'd want to ask to consider changing Fortiy's bonus from "Increased Physical Damage" to "Increased Melee Damage". Reasoning:

- You changed all the attack skills to scale with % Base damage, to (I assume) allow Elemental Damage scale with all skills, but;
- For some reason Fortify has only Physical Increase, meaning that Melee Elemental Damage is AGAIN not an (optimal) option for Fortify. I can't quite see why. Dealing MELEE elemental damage doesn't need to use Fortify? Or does it needs to only use Vigilant Strike (because Vigilant Strike DOES scale with Base Damage = Elemental Damage too) to get Fortify?

I tried using Hyaon's Fury with Lightning Damage scaling and some other stuff like Tempest Shield. Fortify is not an option is such setup, because I have to get rid of one of my damaging gems (and I need to use many of those) to use Fortify.
Now when I have Fortify, my damage is terrible, but I can stay alive. Without it, I'm doing "some" damage, but now I'm really squishy. On the other hand Vigilant strike doesn't do as much damage, and is only used as a "time waster" in DPS, meaning I need to stay longer taking damage, which in turns means I'll simply take more damage... :V Counter productive.

And while we're at the "way of getting fortify", I can't quite understand why it is ok to give us support gem that gives good amounts of (physical) damage, effectively replacing some other gem, with comparable amount of damage, AND granting the Fortify bonus, while it is not ok to be getting Fortify by using it in Counter Attack Skills (like, say, Riposte). By the same way it makes the Fortify more of a "passive" gain, but Counter Attack Gems somehow are the "easy ones", thus disabled. What is reasoning behind this?

Also, I'd say that Fortify is Multistrike 2.0 - additional obligatory gem, that you ALWAYS want to get. : /

Yes please (flat scaling)elemental builds can be melee too. Its already awkward enough to skip any weapon specialization nodes since they always have physical damage as a key component - theres no need to further punish them.
If youre afraid the % damage scaling for non physical builds is too much maybe consider changing the bonus to attack speed instead, which is equally valuable for non physical and elemental builds.
"
Perq wrote:
I'd want to ask to consider changing Fortiy's bonus from "Increased Physical Damage" to "Increased Melee Damage". Reasoning:

- You changed all the attack skills to scale with % Base damage, to (I assume) allow Elemental Damage scale with all skills, but;
- For some reason Fortify has only Physical Increase, meaning that Melee Elemental Damage is AGAIN not an (optimal) option for Fortify. I can't quite see why. Dealing MELEE elemental damage doesn't need to use Fortify? Or does it needs to only use Vigilant Strike (because Vigilant Strike DOES scale with Base Damage = Elemental Damage too) to get Fortify?

I tried using Hyaon's Fury with Lightning Damage scaling and some other stuff like Tempest Shield. Fortify is not an option is such setup, because I have to get rid of one of my damaging gems (and I need to use many of those) to use Fortify.
Now when I have Fortify, my damage is terrible, but I can stay alive. Without it, I'm doing "some" damage, but now I'm really squishy. On the other hand Vigilant strike doesn't do as much damage, and is only used as a "time waster" in DPS, meaning I need to stay longer taking damage, which in turns means I'll simply take more damage... :V Counter productive.

And while we're at the "way of getting fortify", I can't quite understand why it is ok to give us support gem that gives good amounts of (physical) damage, effectively replacing some other gem, with comparable amount of damage, AND granting the Fortify bonus, while it is not ok to be getting Fortify by using it in Counter Attack Skills (like, say, Riposte). By the same way it makes the Fortify more of a "passive" gain, but Counter Attack Gems somehow are the "easy ones", thus disabled. What is reasoning behind this?

Also, I'd say that Fortify is Multistrike 2.0 - additional obligatory gem, that you ALWAYS want to get. : /

+1

I fully agree

Fortify is supposed to be a melee gem dont punish pure elemental melee builds.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
Last edited by Dethklok on Aug 3, 2015, 2:59:32 AM
I also think that there should be lots of melee nodes, which improve fortify strength or add melee bonuses only when fortify is up. And "normal" Fortify power could even be reduced to 15%, but with that nodes picked, it should raise up to 30%, or so. Why? To make melee get full benefit from it, now just (ranged) casters with melee weapons.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
+1 for "melee damage". Elemental melee builds are being left in the cold.
^ Cool to see people agree on that, but does GGG agree? :=V
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
Perq wrote:

Just wanted to post the same thing when I read your reply. I just started a fire damage Cycloner with Oro's and didn't even think of this. It didn't came to my mind that it would only be physical damage increase instead of all melee damage types.
But not only that, your other points are pretty valid too.

Please GGG, we need you reply here and a fast patch.
IGN: NautyJugg
Welp, there we have a patch, and this thing has no replies or mentions. Lets hope we'll get some response or get it patched next time. Or something. :V
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
"
XSyntheticX wrote:
my only issue is the buff length with quality, I recently got mine up to q20, only to be disapointed, 6 seconds really? Should be at least 7 with 20% imo, the quality isn't worth the trouble.

Yes, it should be 7. I run Vigilant strike + fortify to get 7s 1.75*4=(4*(1+.5+.25)) and with the duration from the tree I get 8 (7.4s=1.85*4) that means that the duration is rounded up.

max fortify duration should be 9s:
q20 VS: 70%
q20 F: 35%
tree: 10%
thats a total of +115% and 8.6s rounding up 9s but u'll be ok surpasing the +100% (that means +100.5%)
that means q20 VS q11 F and no passive points would get u to 9s

we're lacking an extra 10.5% to get to 10s (at +125.5% modifier)

... also u get 200% chance to gain fortify
Last edited by Valriel on Aug 20, 2015, 4:59:47 AM
"
... also u get 200% chance to gain fortify
i like those odds. reminds me of piercings. looks funny but works the same.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info