Frost Blades

This is from the offical wiki

"
The projectiles do the same damage as the initial attack, with the same cold damage conversion. However the initial melee attack scales with melee damage modifiers (such as Melee Physical Damage), whereas the projectiles scale with projectile damage modifiers. Both components scale equally with (unspecified) attack, physical, and cold damage modifiers.

The bolded part would suggest that scaling the melee portion of the skill also increases the projectile damage,is this not true? And if not true what gives the projectiles their base damage?

So for clarity if my tool tip dps (which is the initial melee hit) states 100 damage the wiki implies that the projectiles will also do 100 damage(as it has no reduced element like lightning strike). True or not? because if true it is much better to use a melee damage support to boost the projectile damage than a projectile support as it will improve the damage of both parts of the skill because the projectile part is based on the melee hit. (which seems to be the case from testing).
"Blue warrior shot the food"
There is no official wiki.
The Projectiles do not deal Melee Damage. That exact quote even mentions that the Projectiles do not scale with Melee Damage...
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 1, 2016, 6:12:16 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
There is no official wiki.
The Projectiles do not deal Melee Damage. That exact quote even mentions that the Projectiles do not scale with Melee Damage...

Yes but the projectiles do the same damage(im not talking type of damage here just the amount) as the initial melee hit thus increasing the melee hit also increases the projectile or the projectiles would only do the damage on the gem regardless of melee scaling.

If thats wrong and the two parts of the skill have no relation at all to each other then ok the NON offical wiki is wrong.
Cheers viper
Last edited by maxor on Feb 2, 2016, 11:55:25 AM
"
maxor wrote:
Yes but the projectiles do the same damage(im not talking type of damage here just the amount) as the initial melee hit thus increasing the melee hit also increases the projectile or the projectiles would only do the damage on the gem regardless of melee scaling.
They do not. The projectiles and the melee hit both have the same base damage (which I would assume is what the wiki quote is getting at), but they are each separately affected by a different set of modifiers.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Feb 2, 2016, 5:48:01 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
maxor wrote:
They do not. The projectiles and the melee hit both have the same base damage (which I would assume is what the wiki quote is getting at), but they are each separately affected by a different set of modifiers.

Thanks for the replie mark so like this?

if damage is base 100

no passives taken

Initial Melee hit does 60 physical and 40 cold damage.
which releases a
Projectile that does 60 physical and 40 cold damage.

now i take a 10% increased melee damage passive.

Initial Melee hit does 66 physical damage and 44 cold damage.
which releases a
Projectile that does 66 physical damage and 44 cold damage.

Now i add a 10% projectile passive to the 10% melee passive.

Initial melee hit does 66 physical damage and 44 cold damage.
which releases a
Projectile that does 72 physical damage and 48 cold damage.

So if you only took melee passives the projectile portion of the skill would still do more than the base 100 damage than if you taken no melee passives at all. Thats what i meant by scaling the projectile damage using melee passives.

I hope ive explained what i mean ok.
"
maxor wrote:
now i take a 10% increased melee damage passive.

Initial Melee hit does 66 physical damage and 44 cold damage.
which releases a
Projectile that does 66 physical damage and 44 cold damage.

The Projectile will deal 60 Phys/40 Cold Damage, because it's unaffected by Melee-specific bonuses. The wiki does mention this specifically:
"However the initial melee attack scales with melee damage modifiers (such as Melee Physical Damage), whereas the projectiles scale with projectile damage modifiers."
(emphasis mine)

The Projectile is an entirely separate calculation. Melee-specific modifiers do not factor into that calculation at any point.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Feb 3, 2016, 3:56:09 PM
Vipermagi is correct - projectiles are fundamentally not melee, so are not scaled by melee-specific modifiers.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Vipermagi is correct - projectiles are fundamentally not melee, so are not scaled by melee-specific modifiers.

Ok great thanks to you both.It was a vain hope to able to have my melee cake and eat it then lob it at the nearest monster.I think ill still just concentrate on scaling the melee portion as id need 20 more passive point than there are which is how it is meant to be no doubt.

On a side note its a great skill with crit.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Sorry I am not up to date on the mechanics.

Wasn't there a change that projectile damage is affected by modifiers to the source of the projectile. Like Increased Bow damage would increase the Projectile damage?

“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
So why does Poison double dip from Projectile damage modifiers even though it is a damage over time and not a projectile?

You guys should really get rid of double dipping throughout the entire game.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info