Warbands are great... when they actually spawn

I also wonder how spawning for Warbands work. There are maps, which are pretty straightforward where even if indicated, I cant find those warbands.

In terms of experience and impact of Warbands, I definitely think they are underwhelming in Normal difficulty both challenge and loot-wise. When I hit Act3 Cruel warbands started to be larger and often spawned casters/support characters, which definitely made the fights more interesting. I play solo and self-found, therefore, my gear is rather luckluster. I encountered high level warbands few times with very tanky and high damage output member (dont want to call him leader because it is probably too early) who forced me to run around like a chicken until I killed all others. Those few encounters were very intense.

Loot drops were abysmal in early levels but mid-Cruel those drops started to improve even without getting any rarity on my gear.

I dread, in a good way, to encounter warbands in late Merciless or maps. You definitely need to be prepared because early signs show that these dudes will kick ass.
To be honest, warband spawns seem so infrequent that I really feel I might as well be playing Standard. I see them so rarely, I almost forget they're even a thing.

The idea of the league seemed to be that you would want to go out of your way and explore areas you otherwise wouldn't, and in that, this league is a failure. If I go to a side area and, on the off chance, the mobs actually spawn, I can expect a few blues and maybe a rare or two, basically. Not at all worth all the extra effort, it'd be more efficient to just farm ledge/docks/aqueducts/etc.

Mobs need to spawn more and their needs to be more of a reason to want to go after them. Tempest gets all kinds of funky stuff that can met you a bunch of extra loot and are actually worth exploring. War bands does not.
Man, I feel sorry for you guys.

Love,
Bunny
I'm diong Warbands as well and its really irritating that they don't spawn for a 100%, sure, they are fun to fight but i have a higher chance to run into a rogue exile(i run into them alot!)then finding warbands..
even if there are sometimes more packs of them on a map, the fact that they don't spawn all the time when they should makes it a very boring league....

So up the spawn rate and the loot!!!
"
Weertangel wrote:
I'm diong Warbands as well and its really irritating that they don't spawn for a 100%, sure, they are fun to fight but i have a higher chance to run into a rogue exile(i run into them alot!)then finding warbands..
even if there are sometimes more packs of them on a map, the fact that they don't spawn all the time when they should makes it a very boring league....

So up the spawn rate and the loot!!!

and the drops from normal exiles are better than from warbands. i still dont understand the special feature of this league...im the only one? as someone said, the warbands are just rogue exiles lite with weak drops.
Haven't played WB much, but I do encounter warbands quite regularly.
For now they're nice - no great loot but no great danger, either.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
I agree.

I reached the start of act 4 in Merci and i'm now trying to go in the areas with 4 dots but it doesn't mean i will encounter them...

What i don't understand is the pace at which the area change. I see a 4 dots area, go in and start clearing then it becomes no dots suddenly even tho i didn't see anything.

I guess it's because of the global server spawn stuff but...it sometimes swap so fast that i spend my time on loading screens.
Maker of ZeeL's Amplifier.
Obviously they should talk to one another and to you to make them feel more...alive I guess.

"Good attack bro he's going down soon."

"Dibs on that weapon."

"I bet this guy has bad loot."
"
Kagari wrote:
What i don't understand is the pace at which the area change. I see a 4 dots area, go in and start clearing then it becomes no dots suddenly even tho i didn't see anything.

As far as I understand it, it works like this - the dots on the areas are global and everyone sees the same thing, when a 4 dot area becomes available everyone who is farming warbands rushes to start opening instances of that particular area. There is probably some global fixed number of warband guys that can spawn and the quicker people kill them the quicker the zone becomes depleted.

Also I think, in order for an area to become a 4 dot one it needs to be left alone unfarmed for some time to generate a large enough number of enemies. So when people are farming 2-3 dot areas they are essentially preventing that area from becoming the desirable level 4 that can somewhat consistently spawn the named ones. For that reason merciless aqueducts and dried lake almost never have any dots and we know those ares are being farmed by tons of people constantly.

This is all pure speculation, no way to know the actual mechanics for sure unless a dev specifies.
yeah , ggg made farming the uniques off of the warbands really tedious.

I was under the impressions that there would be a much higher concentration of warbands in merci and that we would get to see this "advanced" ai teamwork / leader dynamic.

but you barely see any of that.

there are times where the entirety of Merci has no 4 dot areas ... why?
and it sucks that ONLY 4 dot areas have a chance at the unique items. this effectively means that 3 dot and below areas are meaningless.

I like the concept of the warbands, they are rogue lite. and they are far more common if you seek them. but for the love of god they need to be more impactful. why cant we fight like an army of them?

the way i wish it worked is

normal 1 dot = 1 rouge
normal 2 dot = a group of 3
cruel 1 dot = a group of 3
cruel 2 dot = 2 groups of 3
cruel 3 dot = 1 group of three and a group with a boss chance in it
merci 1 dot = a group of 3
merci 2 dot = 2 groups of 3
merci 3 dot = 3 groups of 3 with 2 boss chances
merci 4 dot a group of 10 with 3 bosses in some awesome arena of doom.

that would have been awesome . but right now the are so low number, their drops are so weak and their presence is so inconsistent that really i tend to ignore them with an occasional "yay" more blue items when i inevitably steam roll one of the many 1 -2 dot instances (which dominate merci) .

maybe ggg will tweak them since the concept is fundamentally very interesting.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Jul 14, 2015, 9:55:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info