Hybrid GlacialHammer/ FlameTotem build - opinions?/questions.

Edit3:

Intro
The idea is to "tank" with
-Glacial Hammer: Freezes well with Melee Splash (possible EleProlif), and
-Tempest Shield (buffed inbeta) - Block and Damage in the Front while the
-Flame Totem helps from behind.

Builds
The builds are adapted to the beta already, but not tested/played because I am not a mass-player (I am casual but prepared). I am aware that this hybrid kind of build is weaker than normal builds, it's just something I want to work with. I now got two clear different builds in theory, A) Is a 3 Elemental Shadow Build, B) Is a 2-3 Elemental Templar Build. (Btw: started to level those with both classes)

A) With some help I made this 3 Elemental hybrid build in my last thread.
Positive/Negative:
Spoiler

+Lots of Elemental Damage (140%)
+Full conversion (Phys to Lightning)
+Health/ES (ES reg) = Many Max Hitpoints
+Extra Freeze and Attack/Castspeed Hybrid Nodes
-> Overall full hybrid support for Attack and SpellTotem, ironically
+Lots of Elemental Damage from Auras/Heralds (which benefit me and the totem)
-Less emphasis on Block, but uses the shield for ES.
-Less sustain (no life regen, and not too high ES)
-Hard to gear

Passive Tree [110 points, Shadow start]:

B) When considering the lifeleech nerfs, I couldn't let my thoughts off a big life regeneration templar, so I recently created this.
Positive / Negative:
Spoiler
+About the same +Elemental Damage (112%)
+Full Life (172%) / Armor
+Full Regeneration (7.8%)
+More Block ("More Tempest Shield")
++50% Weapon range does support Glacial Hammer & Vengeance
+Easier to gear
-Slightly more PhysConversion orientated (due to 250strength in tree)
-Less DPS and less potential DPS

Passive Tree [110 points, Templar start]:

C) private()

Gem-Links
Spoiler

(Thanks to manoth for some tips! - This is not final)
4L: Leap Slam + Faster Attack + Fortify +
Version B) Blood magic
3L: Vengeance + Curse on Hit + Enfeeble (selfnote: Reckoning in C))
4L: Flame Totem + Fire Penetration + Faster Projectile +
A) Cold Damage
B) Faster Casting Speed (since thebuild lacks some)
C) Iron Will (+60% spell damage from 300+ strength) /
3L: Tempest Shield + Lightning Penetration + ? (Added Lightning/Chain/Lifeleech)
4: Anger + Herald of Ice + Clarity +
Version A) Herald of Thunder (an option: Discipline)
Version B) nothing -> 4L Tempest Shield
5L: Glacial Hammer + Melee Splash + Elemental Weapon Damage + Phys to Lightning + Faster attacks +
6th: Melee Weapon Damage/Life Leech/EleProlif

--
I am open for any constructive criticism. If you want also in terms of attack or totem skills...

--
Answered questions (more or less):
Spoiler
What about using these? Edit: For a block rate build with high block/stun recovery. (and Tempest Shield and Elemental Damage nodes of course). Also afaik while having ES you can avoid stuns 50% but stun procs would still work (this read is slightly longer ago, so I am not sure anymore).
-Ok question is, If you could block all the Reflect from Glacial Hammer Melee Splash ? - I think I read some damage of GH not being blockable
-Is the Trigger Damage from Tempest Shield (let alone Castwhen damage taken or vengeance) reflected (to you)?
-Will a stun avoidance (natural 50%) by having Energieshield > 1 still proc a cast when stunned? (afaik yes)
-Will changed Gems (here Flame Totem, +projectiles) automatically upgrade with the beta, or do I have to find a new one?

Values per build:

Christmas comes early - The Awakening!
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ★  ☆
Last edited by rusher21 on Jul 2, 2015, 3:39:31 AM
Ah dudes, when I write too much, trying to make it comprehensive (for optimal discussion), I rarely get an answer :( So next time a 1-sentence question again...
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ★  ☆
Well, you made three mistakes. First is you don't really have any specific questions to answer, second is you want an opinion on the whole build which is a lot of ground to cover, and the third is you want info on a hybrid build, not many players have much experience with those.

And that's probably because they were forewarned, hybrids are fairly hard to build properly and even when you do they won't work as well as their dedicated counterparts so they are considered a noobtrap of sorts.

As for those gloves, the spell is cast when you get stunned not when you stun something, and you don't want to get stunned a lot, especially not as a melee.

P.S.
Actually, usagi-kun in your signature is another mistake, people are highly suspicious of that.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jun 23, 2015, 4:43:31 PM
you are discussing a difficult matter here: hybrid hp/es and hybrid melee/totem, you get a bit of everything but mastering nothing and that's not really good.

i've tried an hybrid hp/es build last league (a crit caster scion) with discipline, the central es wheel, zealot oath and 4-5% hp regen but i ended up having more survivability with eb/aa.
i don't know in awakening how the changes are going to affect hybrid builds.

hybrid melee/totem is really hard to make it work, the closest thing i've tried is melee-caster with comk but totems without hp passives are going to die really fast that is not even worth using (like zombies in srs builds where you don't get minions hp nodes).

"
Zuggtmoy wrote:

hybrid melee/totem is really hard to make it work, the closest thing i've tried is melee-caster with comk but totems without hp passives are going to die really fast that is not even worth using (like zombies in srs builds where you don't get minions hp nodes).

Tbh if he is melee he will hold the aggro anyway, totems shouldn't really die.

@OP
As for more opinions, i can't provide you with more sensible advice until the 2.0 arrives, too much stuff could change.

And you will pretty much get that response from anyone really, sure we could give you advice with the assumption nothing changes between current beta and live but that is unrealistic.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Jun 23, 2015, 4:44:24 PM
"
Mannoth wrote:
As for more opinions, i can't provide you with more sensible advice until the 2.0 arrives, too much stuff could change.

Good point too, I'm personally trying to abstain from theorycrafting until I see the v2.0 patch notes in all of their ginormous magnificence. Usually, I manage, but even when I don't I'm keeping it in rough draft stage.

(Question: Can you block all the Reflect from Glacial Hammer Melee Splash ? - I think I read some damage of GH not being blockable)

Ok, thanks for the honest answers guys. Err why is my signature important for this topic? :P I just copied it from someone else (the picture), cause it looks nice (and I don't care if you do not like it).

"
Zuggtmoy wrote:
you are discussing a difficult matter here: hybrid hp/es and hybrid melee/totem, you get a bit of everything but mastering nothing and that's not really good.

Hmm, but I am actually mastering Elemental Damage, so the totem will be very strong (as Manoth said, the defense is not required): Elemental Damage AND hybrid faster cast/attackspeed nodes help my offensive capabilities for both attacks, while only the survivability, in particular the sustain in the new Expansion is a question. As far as tankyness goes it's enough.

"
Zuggtmoy wrote:

i've tried an hybrid hp/es build last league (a crit caster scion) with discipline, the central es wheel, zealot oath and 4-5% hp regen but i ended up having more survivability with eb/aa.
i don't know in awakening how the changes are going to affect hybrid builds.

Yes it's right, hence I made B) which has life/armor. I think hp/es just requires good gear.

As for my strategy, I think [Aegis Aurora] serves very well for maintaining some ES. In taht regard I already made a build C) from A): To having fewer ES, but more armor and more life (but I won't edit that for the reasons you named).

About EB/AA yes I am using that on my witch: EE-ice spear/ball lightning hybrid(!) And that work's out awesome :) unfortunately that defense won't function anymore in the expansion.
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ★  ☆
Last edited by rusher21 on Jun 24, 2015, 6:31:01 PM
"
rusher21 wrote:
Err why is my signature important for this topic? :P

For the topic? In no way at all, it's just the old folk saying - 'trust not in those surrounding themselves with overly cute things, especially if they do it in public'.

As for your question, you probably read about Infernal Blow, explosion damage can't be blocked, evaded or dodged in any way.

Going hybrid melee/spellcaster isn't all that hard as long as you're using Doryani's Catalyst. I had a pretty successful cyclone/vaal storm call build that dual-wielded them.

For reference:
Spoiler

My suggestion is to either dual-wield Catalysts (so no Tempest Shield), or use only one and focus on increased elemental damage as much as possible in the tree. If you're dual-wielding, you can dedicate almost your entire tree to defense, as your damage will be more than enough.

From there, you're going to want something like this:
Spoiler

which between Hatred and your increased elemental damage, will give you almost pure cold damage for melee. The elemental weakness gets procced from any attack from any gem in your inventory, including from your flame totem so I think you have something going for you there.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
"
gilrad wrote:
Spoiler
Going hybrid melee/spellcaster isn't all that hard as long as you're using Doryani's Catalyst. I had a pretty successful cyclone/vaal storm call build that dual-wielded them.

For reference:
Spoiler

My suggestion is to either dual-wield Catalysts (so no Tempest Shield), or use only one and focus on increased elemental damage as much as possible in the tree. If you're dual-wielding, you can dedicate almost your entire tree to defense, as your damage will be more than enough.

From there, you're going to want something like this:
Spoiler

which between Hatred and your increased elemental damage, will give you almost pure cold damage for melee.
The elemental weakness gets procced from any attack from any gem in your inventory, including from your flame totem so I think you have something going for you there.

Ok, thanks. And the Eleleech is 2% for each attack? Or since they are alternating with GH, just 1%? (for spells it is obviously 2%).

Do you know if the Trigger Damage from Tempest Shield, let alone Castwhen damage taken (the damage spell) or vengeance, will be reflected?
-Will a stun avoidance (natural 50%) by having Energieshield > 1 still proc a cast when stunned? (afaik yes)

p.s. Cast when stunned was referring to a high blockrate build (block can also be a stun), the thing is you would have to add increased blockrecovery (bottom of duellist, not far away). Which would make for alot of elemental damage from Blocks; (new) Tempest Shield + Stuns. But that would be a whole other setup. Just an idea; because I enjoy having ideas.
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ┊  ┊
┊  ★  ☆
Last edited by rusher21 on Jun 24, 2015, 9:22:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info