[outdated] Caustic Arrow Solo Map MFer (20/300+)

"
ChronoExile wrote:
A sincere thanks to Serleth and all of the others who regularly post to answer questions, provide anecdotes, and just general encouragement in the completion of challenges. I really appreciate the work that goes into the thread, and the active group who work to maintain it. I have been playing some form of magic find poison arrow/caustic arrow since the 2.0 launch, and this thread has been a beacon of light for the entire duration. With the league in a lull while the Perandus Flashback is going on, and before we start to get too much information on Prophecy I wanted to take this opportunity to share thanks, and introduce myself to the thread.

My level of ‘complete’ for this character is not the same level of Min/Max that I see in a lot of the regular posters upgrade topic, and I usually reduce my overall MF by continuing to look for fishing rods. But, I still have a lot of fun playing this character, tend to find enough to fund the random things I am looking to do including full challenges in Talisman and here in Perandus (I just need to use two ID scrolls to be done). Which I think speaks volumes for how well this is put together and the solid theory and math everything is built on.

So again a big thanks to Serleth for keeping the top posts updated and current. And similar thanks to Chronodroid, Hankinshol, and Hvakhshathra for additional questions answered and enthusiasm for the build. I might start posting more, now that I am all caught up on the thread, and plan on running the character again in Prophecy. If I do post more, my apologies in advance for the addition of another Chrono.

Thanks for the kind words ChronoExile :-)

I see that you're at 39/40 for challenges. Anything I can do to help you get 40?
"
hankinsohl wrote:
Thanks for the kind words ChronoExile :-)

I see that you're at 39/40 for challenges. Anything I can do to help you get 40?

Thank you for the offer, but no. I have an un-id Kaoms and Taste of Hate in my stash(I have already identified two others). I just have not identified them yet in case I find more of the treasures, and can sell/try to sell the more expensive one.
So I only have 3 challenges left and I was wondering about Idenify these Treasures.
Which items do you lose the least amount of currency? If you wanna resell them identified.
"
Zargnar wrote:
So I only have 3 challenges left and I was wondering about Idenify these Treasures.
Which items do you lose the least amount of currency? If you wanna resell them identified.

Don't know - it will vary from league to league.

Use POE.trade to determine what's best.
"
ChronoExile wrote:
Spoiler
A sincere thanks to Serleth and all of the others who regularly post to answer questions, provide anecdotes, and just general encouragement in the completion of challenges. I really appreciate the work that goes into the thread, and the active group who work to maintain it. I have been playing some form of magic find poison arrow/caustic arrow since the 2.0 launch, and this thread has been a beacon of light for the entire duration. With the league in a lull while the Perandus Flashback is going on, and before we start to get too much information on Prophecy I wanted to take this opportunity to share thanks, and introduce myself to the thread.

My level of ‘complete’ for this character is not the same level of Min/Max that I see in a lot of the regular posters upgrade topic, and I usually reduce my overall MF by continuing to look for fishing rods. But, I still have a lot of fun playing this character, tend to find enough to fund the random things I am looking to do including full challenges in Talisman and here in Perandus (I just need to use two ID scrolls to be done). Which I think speaks volumes for how well this is put together and the solid theory and math everything is built on.

So again a big thanks to Serleth for keeping the top posts updated and current. And similar thanks to Chronodroid, Hankinshol, and Hvakhshathra for additional questions answered and enthusiasm for the build. I might start posting more, now that I am all caught up on the thread, and plan on running the character again in Prophecy. If I do post more, my apologies in advance for the addition of another Chrono.

Thanks! Your words are greatly appreciated.

Also, you are now Chrono2.

Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Hi guys

What do You think about 2.3.0 propecy update in case CA MF build.

Best Regards
Won't know more until the patch notes, but as it stands based on what we do know, it will see a slight improvement.

I'll be providing a more comprehensive update (if necessary) once we see the patch notes a few days before June 3.
"
Zargnar wrote:

I was able to sell an unid Perandus Signet for half of what I paid for it. I would think a Crown of Eyes would be a good choice for resale value also.
Crown is 5c if you're lucky.

I did Kaom's and a couple others, can't remember offhand, but yeah, Crown is terrible for resale considering you're probably still paying exalts for it unid.
Overall a productive weekend for me:

(1)Identified the last two items I needed to complete the full 40 challenges. And a Thanks again to Hank for the offer to help out in getting the last one I needed.

(2)In preparation for the Perandus league merge I am down to just three remove only tabs in Standard. Also cleaned out all the remove only tabs in Perandus from the Flashback event.

(3)Learned when correcting vocabulary usage on reddit wit and sarcasm should not be the go to method when compared to tact or simple definitions

(4)-Shower Thought- In the most recent Podcast Chris' said something to the effect of the passive tree not being reworked too much, and most of the focus would be on the Ascendancy trees. If this holds true, after allocating Path of the Ranger, three passive points can be saved from traveling.

The three dexterity nodes on the inner scion highway to the right of 'Sentinel' can be removed. While I don't know the best place to use these three points, the first thought that came to me was to use them to travel to the jewel socket along the left side of the inner scion highway, just below the scion life area.

The tree and any planning done now will be in flux due to not having anything final, but that was a thought I wanted to share.

(5) @Serleth - I was thinking about ways I could potentially give back to the thread as thanks, and one way that came to mind was a restructure/redesign of the guide post. All that would be required of you would be copy edits (making sure I didn't mess anything up) and copy/paste. I've done some of it already (in the spoiler). Let me know if this is something you would want to do or if you would rather pass.

A big thanks again for the guide and the helpful atmosphere.

Spoiler

Before We Get To The Guide…
The Item Rarity Gem and Degeneration Skills:
  • As of patch 1.0.6, the IIR/IIQ gems have full functionality with degen skills. The patch notes say "Righteous Fire," but it applies to all sources of degeneration: Searing Bond, RF, CA Cloud, Viper Strike DoT, etc… So yes, the IIR gem works for this build.

Area Damage Modifiers and Tooltip Damage:
  • For those new to CA, they will not show up on the tooltip chaos damage/s calculation. But they do factor in. So don't be afraid when you slot in conc effect and see no change: it's happening, but it's a known "bug" that it doesn't show up on tooltip.

A Scion/Shadow Build in the Ranger Section:
  • This has been a ranger build since the release of 2.0, which covers over 300 pages of questions and replies. But now Scion's Deadeye/Occultist hybrid is best for SC, while Shadow is best for HC. I don’t want to kill anyone’s bookmarks, so it is staying here.

Passive Tree for the Ranger Start:
  • I will not be posting a Ranger tree. You can follow the Scion tree, as it's identical in every way except the starting two Scion Projectile Damage nodes. You then take Deadeye, and go grab Endless Munitions, which will use all six of your Ascendency points. This allows you to drop the AoE gem for Empower/Rapid Decay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Table of Contents -

[01.00] - Overview
[02.00] - Media
[03.00] - Bandit Rewards
[04.00] - Skill Tree & Ascendancies
[04.01] - Scion Ascendant Occultist/Deadeye
[04.02] - Shadow Trickster [HC Option]
[05.00] - Leveling
[06.00] - Gearing
[07.00] - Gems & Links
[08.00] - FAQ (Post 2)
[09.00] - Tools (Post 3)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Overview -

The purpose of this build is to effectively balance survivability, clear speed, and magic find while enabling you to solo up to mid tier maps (including Atziri). This guide is written to provide information to effectively balance these three elements. While the build can work in parties/rotations, and be an effective boss farmer, these are not the targets the build aims to hit.

Pros:
- Earn 0.5ex/hr** without selling a DAMN THING. ** IMPORTANT: SEE BELOW SPOILER **
- Fast pack clear speed, solid boss kill speed.
- Runs any map mod except blood magic (and even then, you can drop an Andvarius and get it working)
- Extremely mobile
- Cheap starting cost (buy a 5L bow for 5c, alt-spam to +2 bow gems, go to work) (NOTE: +2 bow gems requires ilvl 64)
- Atziri capable (just remove Andvarius'. Or don't, if you're badass!)
- HC viable with some adjustments.

Cons:
- Semi-Late Acrobatics - mid 50s.
- It's evasion, so it's prone to physical burst damage if entropy hates you.

**0.5ex/hr Explanation
I calculated this number using Standard league exchange rates, roughly listed in the below spoiler. These rates were calculated as of January, 2015 and are not updated to reflect current exchange values.

*** It's important to note that the per hour rate is also not reflective of challenge league ratios, where at the time of this edit (August 10, 2015) Warbands rates were around 60c:1ex and 110f:1ex. As such, at those ratios, the per hour is adjusted to around 0.3ex/hr.

This value was compiled after spending two weeks running nothing but blue maps level 66-70 (and the Zana dailies, 74-77) tracking the net currency over time played, and ONLY includes currency earned from:

- Raw drops
- 6S / chrome vends
- Chaos, gcp and regal recipes

The aforementioned exchange rates
Fuse 42-44:1
Chaos 36-38:1
Gcp 11-13:1
Regret 15-18:1
Vaal 25-27:1
Chrome 220-250:1
Alts based off fuse @ 42:1 (336:1)
Alcs/chisels 90:1

The 0.5ex/hr figure does NOT include ANY sales whatsoever, and will vary at the start of new leagues where exchange rates are closer to 45c:1ex and 70f:1ex, whereupon the exalt/hr rate will dip to about 0.35-4. But the market takes care of the balance anyway, and the value for currency vs item cost ends up equalizing.

It also assumes that you are converting all of your income straight to exalt, and does not factor in how you might be spending that currency (rolling maps, alc'ing jewelry, etc).

I typically drop at LEAST one item per day worth 20c, often worth 1ex+, whether it's a unique like Alpha's Howl or Divinarius, or a good rare ring. I once dropped a Mjolner, two Alphas and a perfect-rolled Belly all in about 4 hours of playing. But then there are other days where you get 20 Goldrims for no good reason. Be patient, and the drops will come.

- Media -

Video version of this guide -- (June 14, 2015)

Deathless Atziri Run with almost full MF spec - didn't *quite* have full res balance =( --- June 15, 2015.

Inventory and Stash Management - Exactly what it sounds like! A video talking about stash and inventory management while mapping.

Gorge Run - with a 3:40 clear speed. As you can see, it doesn't lag that far behind full-tilt dps builds. Only about 40 seconds, ish.

- Bandit Rewards -

• Normal - Help Oak(+40 Life)
  • Cruel - Help Eramir(Passive Point)
  • Merciless - Help Kraityn(+1 Max Frenzy Charge)

- Skill Trees & Ascendancies -

As of the Ascendancy launch the best class for this build is the Scion Ascendant, using the Deadeye(Ranger) and Occultist(Witch) nodes. The bonuses provided by the Ascendant are tremendous. Deadeye grants the build an additional arrow, a modified version of Far Shot, and 50% pierce chance. These three perks allow the build to drop the Increased Area of Effect support, gain some incremental damage, and drop the Poacher’s Aim unique jewel and still maintain 100% pierce chance. Occultist grants the build -15% chaos resistance on enemies you curse, and increased chaos if you have killed a cursed enemy recently(last four seconds). These two perks grank the build an effective 15% MORE damage when needed, and a conditional boost to damage and clear speed.

The reason that you roll Shadow for Hardcore is simple: Trickster's Ghost Dance provides you with an additional 5% dodge and spell dodge, which is flat out massive. Advance further along that branch and you also get Shade Form, which provides you with flat evasion, flat ES and a multiplicative 20% MORE chance to evade attacks while not on full ES. Even with taking Acrobatics, this gives you a slight ES buffer of damage to absorb an initial hit and then an immediate subsequent boost to your defense.

However, also keep in mind that you'll need to decide whether or not you are fine without the AoE gem for this variant, as there's no way to gain Increased Area of Effect for Shadow that's similar to the Scion or Ranger's Deadeye +1 Arrow mechanic. So while this variant is undoubtedly safer, you will also retain similar dps as you saw in 2.1.

You can alternately still roll the Scion version and just drop damage for life & Phase Acro as well.

I don't recommend running as Shadow for SC. There's no point compared to the benefits Scion offers.

- Scion Ascendant Occultist/Deadeye -
[2.2]Scion Passive Tree

This is the base passive skill tree for the build. The posted tree takes Acrobatics, but feel free to adjust for your own play (Taking Phase Acrobatics, or go the Iron Reflexes route).

- Shadow Trickster -
[2.2]Shadow Passive Tree

This tree will be the basis of what you want to do for Hardcore. Again feel free to adjust to fit your style of play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info