[2.2] Acrobatic Knives - Assassin - Ctri EK/MoM/Phase Acro/VP, Ascendancy skill tree updated.

Hi guys
History

This is the Ethereal Knives Version of my original 'Acrobatic Arc' build(It's in Witch build list).
With slight change, this build also suits spell (better has at least 5% base critical chance)like arc/Arctic Breath/... etc.
Actually I started this build with Freezing Pulse, it feels great till I saw balance change about multiple projectiles from 'the awakening close beta' http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/post-reply/1248493
"
Qarl wrote:

All projectiles now behave like arrows. Multiple projectiles emitted at exactly the same time can no longer hit the same target. Their area of effect damage can still overlap, dealing damage to the same target multiple times...

Ethereal Knives has nothing to lose by this change, so I decided to give it a try.

'The Awakening' boosts this build a lot:
1. EK now has 0.6s cast speed(was 0.8s in 1.3), 6% base critical chance(was 5%) and 24 mana cost(was 30), quality now gives projectile speed instead of damage!!
2. Vaal Pact now located between shadow and ranger which saved at least 4 skill points(compares to 1.3 tree)
3. Golem gives extra dps/damage reduction.
Together, they bring EK's dps to 76k with over 50% critical chance!!

According to Content Update 2.1.0 Patch Notes EK is buffed with increased damage and projectile speed. And we have more mana/mana regen. I like it. xD
(the following may still contain 2.0 version content, I'll keep updating.)

The frame of this build is almost the same as 2.0.
-Stack Critical strike chance for dps
-Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics node for defense(fair effect at low investment cost)
-Stun avoidance chance and DOT dmg reduction.
-Survive reflect.
etc

Character status lv92.

Concept_for_dealing_with_reflect

General:
For the common weakness of low armour build, I use Lightning Coil, Arctic Armour and Chaos Golem to relieve physical damage taken.
And eva type gear + acrobatics/phase acrobatics to evade/dodge attack and spell.
Leo's crafting for DOT defense(shield) and chance to avoid being Stunned(Helmet).
'Practical Application' helps in avoiding interruption from stuns while casting.

Tested with new leech mechanism in 2.0!!
For physical reflection(Assuming 18%):
The goal is to minimize both physical damage output and physical damage taken, and leech as much as you can.

1. Use 'Physical to Lightning' support gem to convert 50% of EK's physical damage to lightning damage, and 'Hrimsorrow Goathide Gloves' to convert another 25% to cold damage. (Though dps drops to 55k.)
2. With 75% lightning resistance, legacy Lightning Coil reduce physical damage reflection to 12.6%. (it's 13.95% for current version of LC).
3. lv19 AA 13%less physical damage taken when hit.(this is for each projectile! by default EK fire 10 projectiles, AA will lessen damage taken caused by each reflection, even if the projectile pierces).
4. Vaal Pact, instant leech.
5. Life leech by lightning DPS(also cold/fire dmg by HoI/HoA) will make up for the physical reflection damage taken to some extent.
6. Phase Acrobatics + Atziri's Step offer 46% chance to dodge reflection.
7. The CWDT set, Immortal Call's physical invulnerability will be triggered frequently(3s cooldown). It usually protects you from reflection caused by repeated casting. And triggered Warlord's Mark gives extra leech.
8. Chaos Golem, 4%(lv12) additional physical damage reduction.
9. Purity of lightning.(optional)

For elemental reflection(Assuming 18%):
1. replace the 'Physical to Lightning' with other support gem(such as added chaos damage or increased critical strike).
2. use low level HoT to do the 'auto-curse' or just turn off hatred and all the herald.
3. replace hatred with haste.

Pros&Cons

Pros:
-Good survivability.
Great chance to dodge/evade attacks(for a spell caster :P) and 46% chance to dodge spell.
With Vaal grace, 10sec 70+ dual dodge!!
Maximum 60%+ chance to avoid being stunned.
Can do map with elemental/physical reflection.
about dodge see here http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dodge

-DPS is nice too. xD
around 76K(6L with life leech and HoT + hatred + Flame Golem).

76K with 50.28% crit chance

Far range increased by Projectile Speed. +116%

Cons:
-The angle of EK's arc is fixed, it's annoyed when you are surrounded by melee monsters.
-Pool dps at low level.
-Half regen maps are annoyed.
-Some gear may get in late game
-Damage Over Time is deadly. Though we have LC + AA + Chaos Golem to reduce the initial physical attack damage, thus reducing the damage per second by bleeding, still it kills you in seconds if you run without notice. (especially bleeding + cursed with vulnerability, and bleeding stacking by monsters have 'Corrupting Blood' Nemesis Affixes. Other type of DOT: poison cloud, desecrated ground ). There's a master crafting(Leo's lv3) can reduce damage taken form DOT which can be applied to a shield(see gear section).

Passive Skill Tree & level up step

2.0_history

current tree,lv92, testing
less spell crit, more life and jewels

Jewel option:

lv90

lv70, Acrobatics

lv50_63points

Bandits:
Normal help Oak/ Cruel kill all(or help Oak)/ Merciless kill all

You can start with shadow/witch/scion.take life, mana, crit, level up as crit spell caster.

. Mana cost per cast(repeat by spell echo does not cost mana) of 6L EK in this build is 74. We need around 160 mana regeneration per second. 'increased maximum mana' from skill tree and '+xx to maximum mana' from gear are very valuable. Also this build has around 120+% increased mana regeneration rate from skill tree and another 120+% from gear.

Gear & Flask

Atziri's Step and Lightning Coil are core gear to this build.
For the rest of them just grab resistance/life/mana/mana regen as much as you can.
I prefer stacking resistance over 142%, so I still have my resistance cap with lv19 purity of elements while doing 'cursed with elemental weakness' maps.

If you want more life/mana regen, or some defense for DOT, you can play wand + shield.
(Master Leo's lv3 crafting: (10-20)% reduced Damage taken from Damage Over Time)

If you can manage the elemental resistances with a helmet that still have room for suffix, you can apply Leo's lv5 crafting '25-35% chance to Avoid being Stunned' to the helmet. Combine with 'Heart of Oak' we should have maximum 65% chance to avoid being stunned!

If you have difficulty in reaching 135% resistance, there are some options from skill tree and jewels that could help before you get enough from gear.

and

Gem/Link

5L/6L EK

Remove 'Increased Critical Damage' if 5L.
'Physical to Lightning' boosts a lot of DPS and it's one of the keys for dealling with reflection.
If you use BBBGGR or BBBGRR chest, I recommend

amazing clear speed with chain, see 'Test skill combination' section.

==========================================================
4L #1 CWDT set.
or

Or Warlord's Mark for extra leech.

4L #2 Vaal Grace / haste / etc

Rallying Cry boosts mana regen and dps during the effect of Vaal haste.
4L #3 Buff/Aura

On-demand option

Try get a BBGW 4L for this set, easy swap purity of elements(fire/ice/lightning) means better adaptability.
3L HoT, Curse on hit
or

Critical strikes with lightning damage + HoT + curse on hit = auto curse.
Assassin's Mark offers more critical chance and critical damage on cursed enemies, also has great chance to gain power charges when slain cursed enemies.
Projectile Weakness makes enemies easy to pierce for projectiles which is very helpful when facing packs (especially packs with a monster/totem has 'Allies Cannot Die' aura). It also gives chance to knockback cursed enemies, this is nice for EK though the chance is not that much. And most of all, cursed enemies take increased damage from projectiles.

I run hatred and 'HoT + Assassin's Mark' when link 'chain' to EK.
When doing maps with 'Monsters are immune to Curses' mod, Hatred + HoA gives more dps.

2L+1 Movement, Golem

It's been awhile since I updated this build 2015. And 2.2 Ascendancy launched, let's catch up. If this is your first time visit this post, it would be easier to figure out the changes if you read 2.1 history first... in case I forget explain something, xD.

I found if we focus on dodge/spell dodge, then Trickster or Ranger's Ascendancy Class Raider would be better than Assassin to implement the theme 'dodge'. On the other hand, DPS improvements are so tempting at Assassin side.
My goal:
1. Not dying by Reflection.
2. Base dodge chance and stun avoidance to avoid fatal cross fire by packs.
3. Survive solid hit when dodge fails.
4. Improve Chaos resistance and DOT reduction.
5. Improve DPS by ascendancy skills.

I've tried to combine defence methods like Acrobatic Mind(acrobatics + MOM) and (block + MOM start with scion which get stronger at 2.2) to improve survivability, they are strong against packs and hits but kind of weak against DOT/Chaos damage.
So this time I'm gonna try a mid-way to partially remedy the weakness and not losing too much other attribute.
Here are the results

1. Drop uniques and get Chaos Resistance from rare items.
I decided to drop Lightning Coil and Maligaro's Virtuosity. (or even Atziri's Step)
I know it's a big change since LC and Atziri's Step were core items for this build untill now.
but with -60% lightning resistance by Lightning Coil, it's very hard to achieve chaos resistance improvement.

2. Defence methods combination

Since no Lightning Coil now, I took the combination of Acrobatics / Phase Acrobatics + Mind Over Matter.
We need at least 30% 'Damage Taken Gained as Mana when hit' to make the whole set works perfect.
Mechanism of Damage Taken Gained as Mana when hit

According to this post
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"% damage taken gained as mana" occurs just before the damage taken is subtracted from ES/mana/life. If you're on full mana, it will do nothing, but if you're on no mana, you'll gain it just in time for mind over matter or similar to use that to absorb some damage before life.

Mindspiral with 9% or 10% roll is common, but rings or amulet with resistance/mana regen/life are not easy to find. I've used dozens Vaal Orb on decent rings and amulets, only 3 got DTGaMwh mod. You could start with cheap unique/rare rings with resistance and life.
We must get at least 20% DTGaMwh from these gears.
You could also find DTGaMwh mod on corrupted shield, though you may not have DOT craft at the same time.

Socket 'Spirited Response' with at least 50 Intelligence Allocated in its radius to make it ready.
Then cry to active the '10% DTGaMwh' when you face boss or dealing with reflection. xD
You don't have to cry frequently, it lasts over 13s with 'Increased Duration' support.

Stacking mana for both improving mana regeneration and stand free mana pool.
With 4500 life and 800+ mana stand free, I should survive 1 shot at 5200 damage.
Then recover 2500 life (with Herbalism) with 'instant recover when on low life' Divine Life Flask, and survive another hit with 3200 damage... if I'm fast enough to press 1, xD.

3. Change for Dealing with Reflection

About damage reflection and instant leech

For physical reflection(Assuming 18%):
The goal is to minimize both physical damage output and physical damage taken, and leech as much as you can.

1. Use 'Physical to Lightning' support gem to convert 50% of EK's physical damage to lightning damage.
2. Chaos Golem, 4%(lv12) additional physical damage reduction.
3. Arctic Armour, 13%(lv19) less physical damage taken when hit.
4. Mind over Matter makes mana absorb 30% reflect damage.
Absorbable damage maximum to 818 (lv3 Enlighten + Clarity + AA + HoA) for each reflect caused by EK's multiple projectiles. It's max 1440 if socket Hatred on Essence Worm without HoA.

5. Vaal Pact, instant leech.
6. Life leech by Non-physical damage (lightning/cold/fire/chaos) will make up for the physical reflection damage taken to some extent.
7. Phase Acrobatics 30% chance to dodge reflection.
8. The CWDT set, Immortal Call's physical invulnerability will be triggered frequently(3s cooldown). It usually protects you from reflection caused by repeated casting. And triggered Warlord's Mark gives extra leech.

For elemental reflection(Assuming 18%):
1. With Mind over Matter, you don't have to change 'Physical to Lightning' this time, also in case monsters with Physical Reflection appear in elemental reflect maps.
Just turn off Hatred, 1sec adapted, xD. As long as you have 75% elemental resistance, you'll be fine.
You may turn on haste to catch up dps lose.

4. DOT reduction.

With Assassin's Toxic Delivery and Master Leo's crafting for DOT defense(shield), we could have maximum 30% reduced Damage taken from Damage Over Time!
DOT defence sources are kind of precious in entire POE.

5. Enhancement by Ascendancy: Shadow - Assassin

Ambush

With 50% critical strike chance, you could always do critical strike and more damage to monsters that on full life, most apparent thing is one shot one pack kill, just amazing.
This is one of the reason I remove HoT, I don't want HoT hit monsters then lose the advantage of 'Ambush'.

Assassinate

My EK has 51% critical strike chance, that's 6 base critical strike chance and +750% increased from gears and passive skill tree. So if the enemies are on low life, EK has 100% more critical strike which is 12 against to those enemies, 12 + 12x7.5 = 102%, that's over the 95% critical strike cap. So basically if EK has 47.5% critical strike chance, it's already cap 95% against enemies on low life. And critical strike culling. That's very strong for high lv map and boss fight, also helps to gain charges for Surgeon's flask.
Using Carcass Jack would cause 'Extra gore' effect which splatter blood around monsters if you do a critical strike. As you can see below, I was casting lv1 EK to Voll that on low life, every single hit is critical strike!!

Toxic Delivery

As I mentioned above, reduce DOT dmg taken, extra chaos damage are nice.
Thought the increase of DOT output isn't useful for this build.

Why not 'Unstable Infusion' and 'Deadly Infusion'

They are strong, but require power charges to perform the maximum effect. To gain power charges either require kill monsters(lack of reliable when boss fight) or link PCoC to EK(take a slot and skill points investment for power charges, default 3 charges with Deadly Infusion is nothing better than link a 'Increased Critical Strikes' directly), or Voll's Protector(half mana).
Actually there is one piece might work for this build with 'Deadly Infusion', that's Skyforth, but it would make this build insanely expensive, :(

Pros&Cons

Pros:
-Good survivability.
Great chance to dodge/evade attacks(for a spell caster :P) and 30% chance to dodge spell.
With Vaal grace, 10sec 70/60+ dual dodge!!
28% chance to avoid being stunned (Heart of Oak).
70% chance to Avoid interruption from Stuns while Casting(Practical Application and Nimbleness).
Can do map with elemental/physical reflection.
about dodge see here http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dodge

-DPS with life leech is nice too, (Hatred + Flame Golem)
45K with lv19 'Chain' support, Crit chance 51%, projectile speed doesn't matter that much.
72K with lv19 'Faster Projectiles' support, Crit chance 51%, 145% inc projectile speed.

87K with lv19 'Controlled Destruction', Crit chance 45%,78% inc projectile speed.

51% crit chance (48% if wand)

Far range increased by Projectile Speed. +145%

Cons:
-The angle of EK's arc is fixed, it's annoyed when you are surrounded, 'chain' support helps a lot in case like this.
-Pool dps at low level.
-Half regen maps are annoyed.
-Some gear may get in late game
-Damage Over Time is deadly. Though we may use AA + Chaos Golem to reduce the initial physical attack damage, thus reducing the damage per second by bleeding, still it kills you in seconds if you run without notice. (especially bleeding + cursed with vulnerability, and bleeding stacking by monsters have 'Corrupting Blood' Nemesis Affixes. Other type of DOT: poison cloud, desecrated ground ). There's a master crafting(Leo's lv3) can reduce damage taken form DOT which can be applied to a shield(see gear section).

Passive Skill Tree & level up step

Jewel

Jewel Location

Spirited Response

Inertia

Current, lv92
lv80, Mind over Matter... lv80, without MOM in case you like LC version, or have trouble with 30% DTGAMWH, or you use Cloak of Defiance.
lv70, Acrobatics
lv55, 68 points

Bandits:
Normal help Oak/ Cruel kill all/ Merciless kill all
You should be able to finish Trials of Ascendancy in Normal around lv55, chose Assassin as your Ascendancy Class and locate 'Ambush'.
Finish Trials of Ascendancy at lv70 in Cruel and lv80 in Merciless, locate 'Assassinate' and 'Toxic Delivery'

Gear & Flask

Previous Gear set

Carcass Jack is the 6L before I can get a rare body armour with chaos resistance, then I may put Atziri's Step back to front.

Gem/Link

5L/6L EK

Remove 'Faster Projectiles' if 5L.
'Physical to Lightning' boosts a lot of DPS and it's one of the keys for dealling with reflection.

amazing clear speed with chain, see 'Test skill combination' section.

If you use BBBGRR or BBBBGR corrupted chest, I recommend there two support to replace projectile support.

4L #1 CWDT set.

Or Warlord's Mark for extra leech.

Other option:

4L #2 Vaal Haste / Vaal Grace, Rallying Cry + Curse

Rallying Cry would active 'Spirited Response' effect which offers 10% damage taken gained as mana when hit in it's duration, it also boosts mana regen and dps during the effect of Vaal haste.
4L #3 Buff/Aura, Golem

On-demand option

If use Essence Worm, socket Hatred. Run Clarity(and HoA if not boss fight/ reflect map) with mana.
3L #1 Movement

3L #2 Movement, Golem

Play style

Due to EK's fixed angle, it'll be inefficient to take down monsters in close range.
So keep distance from packs, fire EK in different directions, move to spot with good angle are all good strategies.

etc

Gladiator achieved

Defeat lv82 Ambrius, Legion Slayer
Luckily, Ambrius does not slash 4 additional blade waves.
xD

Atziri fight, The Apex of Sacrifice

You don't really have to use Rise of the Phoenix if you are familiar with Atziri's fight pattern.
Change to wand(no projectile speed)/dagger and use 'Slower Projectiles' support to reduce ek's range, thus avoid unexpected damage reflection by Atziri's copy(the one with a mirror).
Turn on Purity of Fire.
Cast Vaal Grace when fight atziri copies.

info about Atziri http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Atziri

Savour these moments, for they may never return.
Last edited by shghostell on May 8, 2016, 12:47:33 PM
Last bumped on May 21, 2016, 8:41:49 AM
Test skill combination. BBBGGR

Recently I tested a few skill combination:
Run

Then try to get 'more' damage from

For fighting magic/rare/unique monsters this combination works as I expected. But when it comes to 'big boss' I can't get them chilled. I guess the cold damage from 'hatred + HoI' is not enough to trigger chill/freeze. And certainly I won't replace any other support to cold penetration.

Forked projectiles travel further(a short distance), it's like more 'AOE damage in projectile style'. But it does not benefit EK for fighting single target.

As it's not easy to get BBBBGR on a LC and decent wand with 30+ projectile speed, 'Faster Projectiles' is definitely the best choice to boost both projectile speed and damage.

You're gonna love this one!
Though the tooltip shows dps drop to 37k, but once I start running maps, the clear speed is just faster than ever.
Multiple projectiles hit multiple targets then multiple chain cross over, randomly overlaping monsters in range, sometimes even out of the screen.
And when you are surrounded by melee monsters, you'll be very pleased to see EK chaining to monsters on your both sides or even behind you, and taking them down without you turning your face.

Slower projectile offers 'more' damage! Better use it with wand that has projectile speed on it.

Variant: Chaining EK, faster & easier. Wand/Dagger +Shield, more life &defense

Goal of this this variant is to get more life and fair chance to avoid being stunned.
Taking advantage of a shield, we get more life and mana regen. And I refound some tree points top left for more life too. Here's the result.

skill tree, lv92, less spell crit, more life and jewels

For stun avoidance:

With 'Heart of Oak' and Leo's lv5 crafting(25-35% chance to Avoid being Stunned) which can be applied to a helmet as a suffix. We should have maximum 65% chance to avoid being stunned. (I'll leave you to do the calculation of the chance we could be interrupted by being stunned while casting. xD )

I'm now using 'chain' for faster clear.

and replace 'chain' with 'Faster Projectile' when fighting boss.

Acrobatic Mind, Phase Acro/MOM/VP/30%+ Dmg taken gained as mana

Video of doing map with reflect 15% physical dmg
This idea has been on my mind for more than half a year. (original thread)
I'm so glad finally it has become a reality. Thank GGG for moving 'Mind over matter' to witch zone and presenting jewels in 'The Awakening'.
lv92 shadow skill tree

30K chaining dps

47K dps with 'Faster Projectiles' support.

'Mind Over Matter' with total 32% damage taken gained as mana when hit!

New Hyrri's Ire + Atziri's Step + Acrobatics + Phase Acrobatics
= 50% chance to dodge attacks / 56% chance to dodge spells!!!

Last edited by shghostell on Dec 11, 2015, 9:50:27 AM
Do you need the lighting coil?
"
CryMexis wrote:
Do you need the lighting coil?

not really, it's just no matter how high the dodge chance are, eventually you will be hit, a lot. We have resistance to reduce elemental damage taken, but for physical damage, low armour builds are easily to be stunned and take fatal damage when cursed by vulnerability. That's why I use LC + AA + chaos golem as remedy.
Last edited by shghostell on Jul 11, 2015, 12:37:17 PM
Do you think this could be run with FP? Even though shotgun changes I think FP is still strong with the new 125 damage effecgiveness ? Couple minor changes would probably be all it takes
"
Senatar wrote:
Do you think this could be run with FP? Even though shotgun changes I think FP is still strong with the new 125 damage effecgiveness ? Couple minor changes would probably be all it takes

Yes. But the mana cost will be much higher than EK, and maps with elemental reflection will be a problem.
Would this be HC worthy?
Glad to see there is a guide to EK.

I am also doing EK but I fear I may have gone the wrong direction. Could I make this build work or should I just re roll and try again closer to your tree? I was trying to go for as much life and dmg as i could.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAQkDHgVCBiMHHgj0DkgPqxGWFr8fQR_HIvQkiyaVKgsqOCpNK3gsnC2LMZ41kj8nQZZEq0lRSbFKyEtXTeNRTFVLVa5XK13yX7Bh4mSdakNqjGwLbRluqm-ecFJw1X1bf8aCEIMJhMWJ04qvj6aP-pMnlS6btaLZplesR7DYtUi18rzqvYLAVMDjwzrIFMpKy73Q9dfP2L3mgev174jw1fGz8h3z6vVv-Tf-j_6z?accountName=Celtix22&characterName=MagnussGallant
IGN Celtix
Last edited by Celtix22 on Jul 12, 2015, 5:54:35 PM
How about void batteries instead of rare wand. ?or rares are better
Without doubt,dual wielding void battery will boost dps to insane with 8 power charge, but they don't have projectile speed. It'll reduce the range of EK, thus changes the play style, you need to get close to the monsters but not too close... -_-b
And it takes a socket to link PCoC support gem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info