Weekend Stash Tab Bundle Sales!

"
seruch wrote:
"
Silanah wrote:
I feel like you don't want my money. A regular tab bundle on Sunday will be 110 points and points are bought in increments of 50. A premium tab is 165 points. So whichever I choose to buy, I will have points left. I get that this is done so people HAVE to buy more points to get the things they want and then probably mindlessly buy anything with the remaining points (so next time they have to do the same).

However, I hate such practices. I'm sure I'm the minority but I am not going to buy the same number of points I would have needed to buy before the sale just to have some left (because of the sale). For me, this is the same as not having a sale. So I will pass.

Wow, thats just messed up. You got something for less and you complaining about left over points (that you can spend on anything else ie pets). Spend them or try to live with your OCD.

Just like the other guy you are making my point for me - "spend your remaining points on pets or something or live with your OCD". That's what I said, damn it!

Yes, I get tabs for less points. However, I have to spend the same amount of actual money to get the tabs, I just have some points left over. I don't get the same item for less money, I get more stuff for the same money. Which is what annoys me. I understand marketing, I have even studied marketing for a bit, I know why it is done and I know how it is done. Which is why it bothers me. In a similar way to how 299.99 prices (for example) annoy me. I know why they exist, I know they work, and I hate that they work!
"
Silanah wrote:
but I am not going to buy the same number of points I would have needed to buy before the sale

buy 200 points for 20$ and have 35 left over after you buy the pack for 165 or buy 250 points for 25$ and have 10 points left after. You still save 5$ and are left with more points. Your logic is moot.

Also: buy 10 stash tab bundles for 165$ and you won't be left with extra pesky points.
Last edited by 105731337 on Jun 13, 2015, 3:20:54 PM
"
Silanah wrote:
"
seruch wrote:
"
Silanah wrote:
. I don't get the same item for less money, I get more stuff for the same money. Which is what annoys me.

Just WOW. GGG has a great f2p model (pretty much the best), yet people are still trying to hate on them. Get over it and feel good about supporting them. Thats what i do :)
You have to remember to chase and catch your dreams, because if you don't, your imagination will live in empty spaces, and that's nowhere land.
"
105731337 wrote:
"
Silanah wrote:
but I am not going to buy the same number of points I would have needed to buy before the sale

Also: buy 10 stash tab bundles for 165$ and you won't be left with extra pesky points.

Now you wrecked him. That wasnt necessary :-)
"
Silanah wrote:
Yes, I get tabs for less points. However, I have to spend the same amount of actual money to get the tabs, I just have some points left over.

yes, you're right.

thing is: some players (like me) don't care about left over points because once the game got you and you know you will play it for some time, you spend your money to enable ggg to make the game better, pay their bills and keep the servers running.

it's no multi billion dollar company which has several strings to one's bow, the company depends on player's constant support or the servers are shut down.

please don't get irritated of these "sales" they're just a incentive for those players who are trained by their society to get the most out of everything.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
105731337 wrote:
"
Silanah wrote:

buy 200 points for 20$ and have 35 left over after you buy the pack for 165 or buy 250 points for 25$ and have 10 points left after. You still save 5$ and are left with more points. Your logic is moot.

I can't tell if you are trolling or simply cannot understand my point. I will try one last time, here's hoping third time is a charm.

I consider a good sale something allowing you to buy something you want for less money than it would cost you outside of a sale. GGG sales are not that - they allow you to buy more stuff for the same amount of money (not necessarily what you wanted to buy but still more). I don't like that and thus I will not make use of the sale. Thus GGG don't get any money, whereas if they had made a sale of a regular tab bundle for 100 points I would have bought one. If they had made a bundle of 1 regular and 1 premium stash bundle for 250 points, I might have bought that.

However, GGG don't want people to spend 10 dollars and get a stash bundle, they want them to still spend 15 dollars (just like before the sale) but are going to give them something extra for spending the same 15 dollars they would have spent before.

@stevich

I agree that GGG have a great f2p model. The focus is largely on cosmetics which give no in-game advantage, which is what all microtransactions should be (in an ideal world). The account bonuses add QoL benefits and do have an in-game impact, however that is tied with how much time you spend on the game, which makes it not that bad. Granted, you are playing with a disadvantage if you don't make use of them but the difference is not significant until you go to the top levels where some spending is expected to be necessary (it's not perfect but they need the money to make more content, so it is a fair trade in my opinion).

What I have a problem with, and I have explicitly stated so, is their sales model. It is not so much a "sale" as it is a bundling because of the lack of flexibility in point increments. It is great from a seller perspective because they get the same amount of money and it doesn't cost them any more to give you extra stuff for that money. It is not great from a buyer perspective because you still spend the same amount of money, you just get more stuff for it. It is like going to the supermarket and seeing a beer sale where you can buy a carton of beer for 5 dollars (down from 6) but you HAVE to spend a dollar on peanuts to get that lower price. I just want the beer and want it to buy for 1 dollar less, keep your damned peanuts.

What, this makes me a terrible ungrateful bastard?

You feel good supporting them. Good for you. That doesn't mean I should too. I buy tabs because they make my experience more enjoyable, not because I want to support GGG and my position is just as valid as yours. You != everyone else. YOU get over THAT.

edit: @geradon

Thank you for actually being reasonable and understanding my post before commenting. I can't help being annoyed at people in such situations. I can keep quiet but I cannot not be annoyed. I know these sales are not directed at me. However, GGG used to do sales that were. I was able to get 1 premium and 1 regular bundle for 20 or 25 dollars (can't remember, was a long time ago). They totaled to a nice round number.

I know they need money to make content and that there are people who would give them money simply for more content. Hell, I might too if I judged the content I would be getting would be worth the price. I was simply giving my opinion on the practices of such sales and giving them information about my potential buying habits - keep doing sales like these, get no money from me. Consider a sale actually allowing you to get what you want for less money => get money from me.

Yet some people feel the need to defend the company from every perceived slight and jump on anyone who has any complaint as to what they are doing. In addition, they do it in clearly antagonistic and derogatory matter, as if not simply wanting to give your money to GGG makes you inferior in itself. Well, I despise such people.
Last edited by Silanah on Jun 13, 2015, 3:55:42 PM
"
Silanah wrote:

What I have a problem with, and I have explicitly stated so, is their sales model. It is not so much a "sale" as it is a bundling because of the lack of flexibility in point increments

i gave up on this one: in a free to play game where players support a game if they like it, "sales" are just devalue the (ingame signs of) support of players who paid full price.

unfortunately the real world is different and forum posts of players who are happy with sales proves ggg right and me wrong when i say that ggg made their first millions by convincing users that their game deserves support rather than relying on cheap marketing tricks.
Attainable Effects / Account Features for your Salty 35 Points:

Extra Stash Tab
2* Upgrade to Premium Tabs
Extra Character Slot
Crimson / Turquoise / Azure / Emerald / Lavender Weapon Effect
5* Skin Transfers
Golden Spectral Throw
Emerald Rain of Arrows
Green Searing Bond
Blue Cyclone
White Cyclone
Water Nova Effect
Blue Flame Incinerate
Siege Firestorm
Numerous Decorations
Numerous Pets

Attainable Credibility for your complaining:

None
Stay a while and listen!
"
geradon wrote:
"
Silanah wrote:

What I have a problem with, and I have explicitly stated so, is their sales model. It is not so much a "sale" as it is a bundling because of the lack of flexibility in point increments

i gave up on this one: in a free to play game where players support a game if they like it, "sales" are just devalue the (ingame signs of) support of players who paid full price.

unfortunately the real world is different and forum posts of players who are happy with sales proves ggg right and me wrong when i say that GGG made their first millions by convincing users that their game deserves support rather than relying on cheap marketing tricks.

I think you are right - GGG would make their millions if they could convince the majority of their player base (and not a relatively small subset of it) that their game is worth supporting. However, they don't have a way of doing that. I learned about the game from a friend, I liked it (it was a better spiritual successor of D2 than D3), and I wanted to support it so I bought two stash tab bundles, which incidentally were discounted right at that time (lucky for me). After playing it for a couple of months, my stance on the game changed. The obsolete graphics I could live with. The unrewarding drops and the insane RNG gating and exclusiveness of crafting I could forgo. What I could not stomach was desync, though. It took them 2 years to fix that (props for finally fixing it, though). The trading outside of poe.trade (which was poe.xyz back then) is still just as shitty (it started bothering me now because I didn't really trade back then). The new content released over the 15 months since I last played is... not that much. With all that in mind, I don't really have faith in GGG so I am not inclined to spend money purely to support them. They have to regain my faith for me to do that again. So now I am considering buying more tabs because it would make it easier for me when playing, not because I want to support GGG. That is my position.

Also, I think GGG's mentality has also shifted from "support us in improving this game and continuing to make new content" to "here, buy our hats, they are nice and shiny (and now cheaper!)" This, in my opinion, is because they realize they have lost a lot of goodwill with the community and a lot of their inertia and this approach is the most likely to make them money. They realize that their progress will not be seen as sufficient by the majority of players to continue supporting them solely on the merit of that.
"
Silanah wrote:
I know they need money to make content and that there are people who would give them money simply for more content. Hell, I might too if I judged the content I would be getting would be worth the price.

ggg was among the first companies to jump on the "free to play, support us if you like it"-train.
while, after some years, i have trust in ggg to deliver i see myself not having the same trust to other companies doing the same now.
so i can understand the position of many new players to whom poe is just one "free to play" game among many. i hope many players like it as much as i do.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info