Advice needed for dual flame totem build

"
adghar wrote:
First, a disclaimer that I consider myself a hipster builder, and so my recommendations may not be "optimal."

Personally, I still run Fire Penetration for powering up the initial hit. That may be because the last time I played a Fire Trapper, I went for crit, in which case the crit burn scales off of the initial hit. So it was nice because 2 out of 3 of the "damage sources" within Fire Trap scaled off of Fire PEnetration. Maybe not in your case since you'll want to avoid crit for flame totem, meaning it'd only increase 1 out of 2 of the "damage sources" of Fire Trap? I'm not sure.

If it bothers you to lose efficiency like that, area bonuses should apply to both the initial hit and the burning ground. (As nerdy proof, the Damage over Time page on the wiki claims that DOTs are tagged with delivery system, i.e. area, so area bonuses should work with them). This would include area damage node and Increased Area of Effect and Concentrated Effect.

tl;dr if I were in your shoes I would probably run Fire Trap - Increased Area of Effect - Concentrated Effect - Multiple Traps. Maybe sub in Increased Burning Damage or Fire Penetration instead of Multiple Traps IF I find myself wanting to do more focused/single target damage and less crowd-clearing damage.

Awesome info, thank you. As an aside, I'm not a min/maxer and prefer fun and creative builds as long as they are still somewhat viable.
Last edited by Kaicimo on May 26, 2015, 4:09:15 AM
"
Kaicimo wrote:
Maybe as I level up and get more used to non-selfcasting, I will reconsider but at this point I'm looking more for direct damage skills I can use.

There are some you can use, but it mostly depends on type of passives you took. If you went for projectile speed/damage nodes you might want to try a Fireball trap, if you went for elemental/fire nodes you will want to use Fire trap because they affect initial hit, ignite and burning ground, in that case you will also be limited to fire spells. If you mostly took spell damage nodes any spell will do, like Arc or Freeze pulse, once Awakening goes live Lightning trap will also be pretty nice.

Fire trap can be a bit tricky to support, it has initial damage, burning ground effect and possibly ignite. So, if you support it with penetration it will affect initial hit and indirectly ignite but not burning ground. If you use increased burning damage it will affect ignite directly and burning ground but not initial hit. And getting ignite depends on crit chance or ignite chance which you may or may not have.
So, the best damage support for it is Conc Effect, it will multiply initial hit, burning ground and ignite directly, making it effectively double dip on ignite. Bad news is you will also need IncArea gem if you don't have a lot of AoE node, which you most likely don't.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Lots of good info there, thanks. I will definitely keep this all in mind as I develop this build. Thanks everyone for you're input.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info