0.9.3g Patch Notes

Yay! Way to give the EU some love! That should make lag less prevalent for some of us and lessen the strain on the server! Woot!
Zed's dead baby. Zed's Dead.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/35331

^ Take a look at GGG's new youtube segment which, features submitted player characters. This is a weekly segment where I was actually featured!!!
Last edited by Big_Z on Nov 22, 2011, 1:18:58 AM
Thank you for adding a Europe-Gateway.
now to work out which gate is best for NZ :P!
Beta Member Since 0.9.0 | Current Character : ExExCorpse
Creator of Prismatic Rings AND Unique Thief's Torment Prismatic Ring
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Guide to Loot Filters - Here
"
mdavis588 wrote:
"
Thanks!

"
Increased the damage of Dual Strike by reducing its damage penalty from -20% to -10%

yeah, dual-wielding still needs some love! Looking forward to more dual-wielding skills and hopefully some claw-improvements!

I switched from Claws to Daggers/Rapiers around level 30. Claws definitely need some improvement. A Dagger/Claw weapon only AoE would be nice. DD works but I would like something based off of claws or daggers.

"
Chris wrote:
[li]Changed Detonate Dead, Infernal Blow and Explosive Arrow to not have their damage scaled by mods that affect "Spell Damage".[/li]

Does the damage scale with weapon element damage?
No.
This is specifically referring to the explosion damage of the Infernal blow and Explosive Arrow - the damgae of the initial hit was never increased by spell damage increases and is increased by weapon damage increases.
The explosion damage used to be in a weird place, because Infernal Blow and Explosive Arrow are not spells, and thus should not gain any benefit from sell-specific increases. However up until now, the damage system only allowed us to have weapon damage and spell damage, and the explosion damage isn't weapon damage - it's not based on your weapon. So it had to be spell damage to work. This meant we had non-spell attack skills dealing spell damage, which is unintuitive and unintended.
We now support a form of secondary damage in addition to spell and weapon damage, and the explosions use these now.
Detonate Dead is a spell, but was changed as well because:
a) It keeps it the same as the other exploding-body skill (Infernal Blow)
b) The spell itself doesn't deal the damage, it makes the corpse deal damage.
c) Balance - it was way too easy to use spell damage increases to raise Detonate Dead to the point it would deal more than 100% of the corpse's life total as damage, thus meaning you only ever had to kill one monster in a group and then could take out the rest using the corpse.
"
Chris wrote:

Doubled the damage reflected by the damage reflection auras.
Wait, WHAT?
*doubletake*
WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?

The problem with damage reflection is two fold:

1. The mechanics of damage/health scaling in this game. As players level up, they gain a ton more damage than they do health. At high levels people are easily dealing damage values 20 times their health.

2. Area of Effect. Even if the player does mediocre amounts of damage at higher levels, if it's across many monsters, it will still instantly kill them.

#1 is mostly the problem. #2 is just a result of AoE being far more powerful than single attacks in this game.

The amount of damage reflection was already ridiculously too high for the late game, doubling it is just absurd.

The best solution would be to somehow deal with the huge issue of damage/health scaling, which of course would take time, but I'd say it would need to be rectified for PvP in the future anyway.
Anyway, aside from that, good job fixing detonate dead. I'm not sure if the other two needed much fixing, since infernal blow cannot be exploited to the same degree as corpse explosion, due to the requirement of it having to be used on a living target, but I suppose it's not a big deal.

Also good to see immortal call not being as insanely overpowered, but I'd still say it's insanely overpowered. I assume this was just a temporary band-aid — there were some reasonable suggestions people made on how to improve it (I like my idea). If none of the suggestions are good, then the skill should just be entirely removed from the game.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Nov 22, 2011, 2:52:53 AM
Does evasion work on reflected damage like armor/resistances? If not then doubling the damage will put rangers at a huge disadvantage.
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
"
Xapti wrote:
The best solution would be to somehow deal with the huge issue of damage/health scaling, which of course would take time, but I'd say it would need to be rectified for PvP in the future anyway.
There's already a scaling factor applied based on your level so a high-level player gets a lower percentage of their damage returned than a low-level player, specifically to combat the exact problem you describe.
"
Xapti wrote:
Anyway, aside from that, good job fixing detonate dead. I'm not sure if the other two needed much fixing, since infernal blow cannot be exploited to the same degree as corpse explosion, due to the requirement of it having to be used on a living target, but I suppose it's not a big deal.
It never actually made sense for spell damage to affect the other two in the first place because they aren't spells. It was simply a side effect of not having non-spell, non-weapon damage until now.
On the topic of reflections:
The amount reflected damage scales inversely to the character level. At higher levels, you're getting a lower percentage of your damage reflected back to compensate for the differences in character damage and health scaling. This was added in 0.9.3d.

Resistances and armor also affect reflected damage now, so you have options to defend against it.

EDIT: Mark beat me :(
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Nov 22, 2011, 3:18:03 AM
"
Xapti wrote:
1. The mechanics of damage/health scaling in this game. As players level up, they gain a ton more damage than they do health. At high levels people are easily dealing damage values 20 times their health.

As others mentioned (and is described in the patch notes), we take this into account.

"
Xapti wrote:
2. Area of Effect. Even if the player does mediocre amounts of damage at higher levels, if it's across many monsters, it will still instantly kill them.

They should not be using AoE spells undiscriminating on arbitrary groups of monsters. It's also actually hard to kill yourself instantly with the current values. I tried a lot of characters.

I know it seems harsh, but it is important that there are some very threatening auras.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Also, Physical damage reflect does not actually deal physical damage — WTF is up with that? Immortal call is useless against it.

"
Mark_GGG wrote:
There's already a scaling factor applied based on your level so a high-level player gets a lower percentage of their damage returned than a low-level player, specifically to combat the exact problem you describe.
It's not enough — AT ALL. It wasn't even close to enough in 0.93f, and it's definitely not enough for 0.93g. Not only was it not enough for non-critical hits, but many people have critical multipliers at 400-750%, which makes it that much worse. Do you really want players to play Russian roulette (more like 50%+ chance to die) every time they encounter these monsters, loosing millions or hundreds of millions of experience? Come on, that's ridiculous.

"
Chris wrote:

They should not be using AoE spells undiscriminating on arbitrary groups of monsters. It's also actually hard to kill yourself instantly with the current values. I tried a lot of characters.
The problem is:
- The aura monsters can be off the screen, and a rogue projectile hits them
- The aura is hidden under water (technical, fixable, issue, yes, but still there)
- The boss is not on the screen, but when you're mid-swing, he appears on the screen and applies the aura to your target. You'd think this is rare, but it is not at all.

If you've tested a lot of characters, fine, but you definitely have not tested enough — I don't see how you can say that this is not a ridiculously huge problem for people lvl 60 and higher, especially those who have 700% critical multipliers.

There are challenges, and then there's just impossible tasks, or stupidly-tedious-when-not-actually-challenging-at-all tasks. This is the latter (obviously).

Maybe it's OK for casters because of it being effected by elemental resists or something (although it's a problem for casters too, but I'd say it might be due to them being OP in damage), but physical reflect is not affected by armor or evasion (and even if it was, neither would be effective against it), and especially immortal call doesn't work against it, which should be fixed.

Currently it's impossible for a physical damage attacker to get anywhere in a dungeon which has a pack of reflect damage monsters blocking their path — they have to abort all their progress and reset the instance, HOPING that another one doesn't block them again.

I didn't fully understand what people were complaining about with regards to damage reflect until I got to the final levels myself. Actually, it wasn't even a problem then. However, when you make the mistake of screwing immortal call to not work against it (even though it's probably accidental), as well as double the damage, it just seems absolutely crazy. I simply cannot play the game with one of my characters at all (Died 3 times in 10 minutes — granted, they were due to immortal call failure, re-test I.C., then a cautious test if I could deal with it knowing I.C. wouldn't help).

I don't think I've had any "WTF, GGG?" moments before, but it's definitely happened now.
Fresh cakes for all occasions.
Delivery in 30 eons or less
Call 1-800-DOMINUS
Remember - 'Dominus Delivers'
Last edited by Xapti on Nov 22, 2011, 4:43:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info