Update on Deterministic Lockstep

what constitutes a lag spike where monsters might stop moving?

my ping regularly fluctuates, and by regularly i mean every few seconds from 60 to 80, id consider that a spike. or we talking about 60 to 170 lag spike?

-HeaT
youtube.com/heatfury
twitch.tv/heatzgaming
"
HeaT1 wrote:
what constitutes a lag spike where monsters might stop moving?

my ping regularly fluctuates, and by regularly i mean every few seconds from 60 to 80, id consider that a spike. or we talking about 60 to 170 lag spike?

-HeaT

From 60 to 80ms, even if it spike it wont be noticeable.
Yes!!With a constant 50ms delay I think it will be very smoooooth!
thank you very much GGG!
So nothing has changed for me, can't wait for the Brazilian gateway!
"
arherter wrote:
When are you gonna add servers to south america?
Latency here doesn't get better than 170 ms.

They said in another post somedays ago that they dont found any company that can provide a good service atm, or something like that...
=[
"
BingePlayer wrote:
Are there any estimates for what latency you'll start to experience the negative effects of lockstep?

Depends on how responsive you expect your character to be. If you have some mental defect that gives you a reaction time of precicely 5 seconds you will tolerate any ping below 5000ms.

I really don't think it will matter for people other than the high-ping people and when you're playing with people overseas.

"
Kunaak wrote:
This makes me curious - what does diablo 3 use?

Well it's hard to know exactly what D3 uses since they're not nearly as open about things but it's important to realize that this isn't a selection between two options really.

For instance Speed hacks are impossible in this game. An attempt to alter game speed on the client would simply cause you to desync constantly, it wouldn't change anything really. D3 on the other hand has had and has (I'm assuming) plenty of speed hacks. Since they client can more easily choose where they're at you suffer less from desync since your server-side character can simply appear more easily where your client side character is, be it via running or simply letting the client dictate where the character is.

There's plenty of tradeoffs like this you could do in your game and GGG hasn't mentioned any that they're taking. Which is understandable considering the state of competition.
its gonna be the same for me, my ping is to High U_U
Bring on the desyncless world yay !!!
Lockstep will be great, but I don't understand why clientside prediction won't be combined with it.

In most other implementations, clientside prediction is combined with authoritative server tracking to ensure a lack of input delay on the client while still maintaining accurate positioning for the player and mobs.
Last edited by MrAuntJemima on May 7, 2015, 6:38:20 PM
THIS IS:

Can't wait, nice work GGG!
I AM MAD
ZAP!ZAP!ZAP! ME SOOO WIZZARD!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info